Switch with no information

Post here for general queries or anything radio related.
Dave Hayfield

Switch with no information

Postby Dave Hayfield » April 29th, 2015, 10:56 pm

I have a Futaba 2.4Ghz transmitter which I happened to take the back off for a general check of wiring etc and noticed a switch on the rf output pcb which says 'France' and 'General'. It was set to 'France' and I have been using it on this setting without any problems but I have a feeling that the 'France' setting reduces the output power to comply with their regulations. I have now reset the switch to 'General' since I don't live in France but on searching through the user manual there is no mention whatsoever of this switch. Anyone know anything about this ????
Thanet Model Flying Club
LMA 520

Robin Woodhead

Re: Switch with no information

Postby Robin Woodhead » April 30th, 2015, 9:46 am

Dave,

You are correct.

Try reading the info on Legal use of frequencies in France in the LMA resource tag on the forum,
its under the "Legal Frequencies in the UK" bit.

Robin

Dave Hayfield

Postby Dave Hayfield » April 30th, 2015, 12:56 pm

Thanks Robin, so I have been using a transmitter bought in a reputable shop in the UK and I have been restricted to 10 Mw without my knowledge. If I hadn't taken the back off my tx to check wiring for wear etc after a fair bit of use I would never have known. There is no mention whatsoever in the user manual so it is possible there are a lot of modellers out there flying on 10 Mw when they can be using the legal higher output wattage. As I said I have had no problem on the 'France' setting but then I don't fly gliders at extreme range on this transmitter.
Worth bringing to the notice of Futaba users I think!
Thanet Model Flying Club
LMA 520

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » April 30th, 2015, 7:14 pm

France's communications organization does not allow all the 2.4 ghz band to be utilized.
So when the switch is in the France position it does not use the whole 2.4 ghz band.
So if your country does not have limitations for usage of the 2.4 ghz band. Leave the switch in the General position

This gleaned from a forum eleswere, therescalso mention of a rotary knob on 2.4 modules that are fitted to older 35 mhz trannies, Daft that its not mentioned in the destructions, good catch Dave,

Bet the model shop didnt even know!

Dave Hayfield

Postby Dave Hayfield » April 30th, 2015, 10:39 pm

As an electronics engineer Alan, and having a fair amount of involvement in RC technology this was a completely new one on me. I did know about the French restrictions on 2.4 but surely there should have been some indication on the Futaba tx itself even if not in the handbook, especially if on sale in the unrestricted 'General' market. It is not even an old tx, I bought it brand new only a couple of years ago.
Thanet Model Flying Club
LMA 520

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » May 1st, 2015, 4:27 pm

Indeed, should be in the handbook, wonder how many more are out there, Can i hear the sound of many tx screws unscrewing?

sean smith

Postby sean smith » May 2nd, 2015, 7:58 am

There are lots of posts on rc forums on the power output subject.
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/pos ... p?th=14859

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » May 3rd, 2015, 10:48 pm

The futaba tm8 module has the same switch on the rear.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/tm8-manual.pdf

Return to “Radio Equipment”