Twin RX batteries?

Post here for general queries or anything radio related.
Stuart Atwill

Twin RX batteries?

Postby Stuart Atwill » November 20th, 2015, 10:16 pm

I have read a few posts and am now totally confused.
I have been using SM services battery backers for years with one or twin RX's.
I now have Futaba 14sg and will use twin RX's for extra channels.
Do I need a backer (the TX always has one battery) and if so, which is the best (simplest) one around at the moment?

John Greenfield

Re: Twin RX batteries?

Postby John Greenfield » November 21st, 2015, 9:17 am

Stuart
If you use twin receivers then technically you do not need a backer system if you power each receiver from its own supply BUT, you must arrange for your servos to be properly spread around the 2 receivers so you still have redundancy in the event of one receiver / battery failure.
Please also ensure that if you are using high powered digital servos you do not overload the receiver supply rails with too much current draw.

John

Stuart Atwill

Postby Stuart Atwill » November 21st, 2015, 11:51 am

Thanks for your help John.

sean smith

Postby sean smith » November 21st, 2015, 4:05 pm

Hi Stuart,
Just a bit more info to confuse you if you are using high voltage servos, http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-receivers-q1060.html

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » February 3rd, 2016, 8:52 pm

Steve Vodrey

Postby Steve Vodrey » April 16th, 2016, 3:26 pm

Hi Stuart.
Depends on what you think of Turnigy equipment. Some say it is longhand for cheap.
Personally I would go with the two rx option at little extra cost overall. You don't need to get a second 14 channel rx. An 8 would do and like John said spread the load between them. Keith Mitchell did a drawing setting out the layout which might assist you. In short it suggests one elevator and one aileron etc on each rx.
The Turnigy power box literally puts everything in one box so if it packs up you have had it.
There is only one battery in your transmitter. This is true. Difference is if it is set up properly you get an audible warning when the voltage is close to failure (this is to be avoided all the same). The model will just go out of control in the event of low battery voltage to the rx unless you have the telemetry set up to inform you. Remember that the batteries we use now tend to go downhill fast at the last of their capacity.
Two separate systems is best. I use it on some of my models which are under the 20Kg exemption just to be safe.

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » April 16th, 2016, 6:39 pm

I have now gone down the Power Box system route....hooked it up. It's really rather good.

Return to “Radio Equipment”