Is this spam coming from here?

Here you can post any problem you are having on the forum or your PC
Andy Macqueen

Is this spam coming from here?

Postby Andy Macqueen » June 19th, 2014, 10:43 pm

i have recently been getting emails from this address saying i have a private message yet when i log on there is nothing.....

lma.website.manager@gmail.com <lma.website.manager@gmail.com>

message is as follows

you have one message from your friend

Click To Check Out The Notification

ADDRESS IN THIS LINK IS BELOW:

http://107.183.127.214/l/?huwa=cu&wuxuh ... 1hY3F1ZWVu

Alan Cantwell 1131

Re: Is this spam coming from here?

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » June 20th, 2014, 6:28 am

ive had the same from lma website manager, and mark hinton, i fear both have been hacked,

John Greenfield

Postby John Greenfield » June 20th, 2014, 6:34 am

It is bogus and if you open the attachment it will go right through your address book and send a similar message to everyone listed. Everyone who got a message supposedly from me a couple of weeks ago can confirm this !!!

I got another message last night so that is 3 times now in the past 2 weeks.

Beware

John

James Ladell

Postby James Ladell » June 20th, 2014, 7:08 am

I have had three sent to me as well, looks like a bit of a problem, I also had the last one last night.
James

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » June 20th, 2014, 7:43 am

Yes, me too. I opened the first one on my phone, thinking it was legit, as I had sent an email earlier to that address. I hope I didnt pass it around....just deleting them now.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » June 20th, 2014, 9:10 am

Nope they're not legit and are spam..please delete.

In fact, the best thing to do with any email from anyone (even if you know them) that looks even slightly dodgy with a link to click or an attachment is to just delete it.

They appear to be coming through Google's mail servers from a BT internet account in Scotland (possibly, although that may be spoofed too), an unfortunate annoyance of the internet I'm afraid.
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

paul hughes

Postby paul hughes » June 20th, 2014, 3:28 pm

I had the same this morning. also my paypal account was hacked and payments to gumtree of £15 started being taken from my account, a total of 11 in an hour. when I contacted paypal to sort it out they said it was my Hotmail account that has been hacked in to. is there any connection?

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » June 20th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Nope, no connection.
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » June 20th, 2014, 6:43 pm

Paul- were payments actually being taken, or just spam emails saying they were?

paul hughes

Postby paul hughes » June 20th, 2014, 10:15 pm

Bob, actually taken. 11 payments of £15 to gumtree. I have only got 8 payments back upto now.

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » June 21st, 2014, 6:45 am

what concerns me is, were did this mob get our details from? seems its all LMA members, my email details are not on my profile, so how have we recieved emails from someone claiming to be the LMA website manager, ive recieved unopened emails from this source,and from Mark Hinton, anyone any ideas????
Last edited by Alan Cantwell 1131 on June 21st, 2014, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » June 21st, 2014, 7:57 am

paul hughes wrote:Bob, actually taken. 11 payments of £15 to gumtree. I have only got 8 payments back upto now.
thats bad. Did you have texts set up or did you not find out for some time? Have they frozen your account?

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » June 21st, 2014, 7:59 am

Alan Cantwell 1131 wrote:what concerns me is, were did this mob get our details from? seems its all LMA members, my email details are not on my profile, so how have we recieved emails from someone claiming to be who they the LMA website manager, ive recieved unopened emails from this source,and from Mark Hinton, anyone any ideas????
its not the first time Alan. This happened some years ago too.

Steve Kasch
Site Admin

Postby Steve Kasch » June 24th, 2014, 6:27 am

Just so that everyone knows. I do not hold any contact details on my LMA email account for anyone. My address book is empty and I will never contact any member directly unless I am replying to an email they have sent. If I need to speak to the members I would most like post on the forum as a global announcement. Therefore, if you receive any emails from anyone saying they are the LMA Website Manager which you were not expecting then you should delete them instantly.I have changed all of my passwords as a matter of course and will continue to do so every month.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » June 24th, 2014, 8:35 am

I imagine it is some bot harvested your email and any others on here. Its not terminal, just annoying. Why cant they use their skills for something useful?

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » June 24th, 2014, 8:36 am

These bogus emails are not being generated from the LMA website It has started from someone's email address who has unwittingly open what they thought was a genuine email from someone they know and that is all it takes.

There address book is then hacked and the cycle goes around again and again. the very fact we are all talking about it is what gives them there jollies which is very sad indeed.

It has already been said but I will just remind you, just delete any email that has a link in it that has come from any LMA members or the website. Let's turn their stupid prank around so they will go and play somewhere else.

Return to “Forum / PC support”