UPGRADING 35M MODELS TO 2.4

The latest information and advice on installing and using 2.4 Ghz systems in over 20 Kg model aircraft
IVAN GOODCHILD

UPGRADING 35M MODELS TO 2.4

Postby IVAN GOODCHILD » December 15th, 2008, 1:30 pm

Several members have contacted me recently where they have encountered problems with servo operation when replacing their 35M receivers with 2.4 systems. Some of the latest receivers use a microprocessor chip set that outputs a data signal to the servos of 2.7V instead of the 3.0V that the older systems worked on. Now depending on how old the servos are, some will not work correctly at this voltage and will show up as intermittent of eratic servo operation. This is not a fault with the design, just a different design for new equipment. Some of the older servos etc are no longer compatible. Not to be confused with battery low voltage. I am not aware of any problems with the more modern servos. So when upgrading your existing models models with old installations may I suggest they are checked out thoroughly before committing to flight.

Chris Strong

Re: UPGRADING 35M MODELS TO 2.4

Postby Chris Strong » December 15th, 2008, 1:44 pm

The problem particularly applies to the Futaba 6014 rx as the signal strength is reduced - and seems mainly to affect some Hitec servos? There is a "Futaba FASST Product Advisory" on this. The problem is cured by using Emcotec/powerbox type units - or (the hard way) replacing the affected servos!!!!! Chris Strong 291

stuart cotgrove

Postby stuart cotgrove » December 15th, 2008, 8:10 pm

thanks ivan. does this affect both Spektrum and Futaba 2.4g systems please.

Chris Strong

Postby Chris Strong » December 15th, 2008, 8:56 pm

No, only Futaba as far as I can make out? Chris 291

IVAN GOODCHILD

Postby IVAN GOODCHILD » December 15th, 2008, 9:45 pm

Sitting on the UKRCC for the LMA I do not get drawn into manufacturers although I do know them very well. Chris is correct that the Futaba 6014 is one of the receivers, it is an excellent receiver I have them in all my large models and 6M gliders and all work perfectly. One just has to be carefull when using the older servos which were not designed for such high speed data links.
Other manufacturers equipment can exhibit the same signs but this is down to the different software used on the servos for self centering - the familiar hunting process when mixing various manufacturers, not the data line voltage. I will post this type of info to keep members uptodate should it be relevant.
I have covered a number of "radio failures" recently which infact were not - see separate post under general discussion after all you need some winter time reading.............

adrian west

Postby adrian west » December 17th, 2008, 8:10 pm

hi can anyone shed any light on which is the best 2.4 system futaba or spectrum?
thanks ady

Simon Willey

Postby Simon Willey » December 17th, 2008, 9:47 pm

The Futaba Verses JR /Spectrum is just a personal thing.They are both fantastic bits of kit. Everyone has there favourite. I was a Futaba flyer for 18 or so years and then went to JR/Spectrum on 2.4. I started with the Spectrum DX7 ,then upgraded. I liked the DSX9 set up better overall and the TX felt right in my hands . Most importantly it had the all the features I wanted .
One thing I do like on the Spectrum setups is the model match . You can't fly the wrong model on the wrong memory.
The biggest model I fly is a 1/3Rd scale cub although I have a couple of 60cc aerobatic models . I have not had a single problem with the Spectrum setup and I have been using it since it first became available. I do use at least 6V RX packs on the Rx's to keep the voltage up. The Range of RX's is also good and they do one intended for high current applications although the AR7000 will handle 20A. Its all down to personal preference. Everyone has there own views on which make is best. The one thing for sure is that I would not want to go back to 35 now and I would be happy using either make.
The Dawn Patrol
LMA No 3109

Pete Lewis

Postby Pete Lewis » December 18th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Has anyone any actual experience of using a 2.4Ghz module in a Futaba FF9 tx. ?

e.g Spektrum Vs Futaba's own gear .

Anything to report , good or bad ?

Can the 35 Mhz existing module be swapped back at will .

I realise it's my personal choice at the end of the day , but I would like to make an informed decision based on actual user experience .

I need 8 channels min. and changing tranny's is out of the question at the mo' , unless a dedicated 2.4 ghz tranny falls below the cost of a module .

Am I better to steer clear of such " modules " altogether .

I had some replies to similar questions on the old Forum , but forgot to save them despite Robin's warning of closure , sorry. :oops:

adrian west

Postby adrian west » December 18th, 2008, 7:05 pm

Hi pete i have a FF9 and thought i would go down the same route changing the module so i bought one on monday got it home looked at the instructions all looks straight forward to swap over but tyhen i noticed when you have fitted the rubber duck ariel and the module it is linked together with a thin coaxial cable that hangs at the back of the tranny which put me off as it seems rather easy to catch on things etc so i took it back and paid the difference and got a dx7 tranny and reciever
Hope that makes sense
regards ady

adrian west

Postby adrian west » December 18th, 2008, 7:27 pm

Forgot to say that was the spectrum module replacement

IVAN GOODCHILD

Postby IVAN GOODCHILD » December 18th, 2008, 9:33 pm

The TM7 and TM8 Futaba 2.4 modules fit the FF9 and both work fine with no aerial issues as mentioned in previous post. For those wanting 8 channels one can use the R608FS or R6014FS receivers. The FF9 has to be set to PPM mode which means you will only get 8 channels not the 9 in PCM mode, and the FF9 will only provide those functions programmable in PPM mode. This also applies to third party modules that can be used in the FF9. The module manufacture choice is determined by which 2.4 transmission system one prefers as they are not compatible with each other.

IVAN GOODCHILD

Postby IVAN GOODCHILD » December 18th, 2008, 9:33 pm

The TM7 and TM8 Futaba 2.4 modules fit the FF9 and both work fine with no aerial issues as mentioned in previous post. For those wanting 8 channels one can use the R608FS or R6014FS receivers. The FF9 has to be set to PPM mode which means you will only get 8 channels not the 9 in PCM mode, and the FF9 will only provide those functions programmable in PPM mode. This also applies to third party modules that can be used in the FF9. The module manufacture choice is determined by which 2.4 transmission system one prefers as they are not compatible with each other.

Simon Willey

Postby Simon Willey » December 18th, 2008, 10:30 pm

I thought at the Nationals this year you could not use a TX with an after market 2.4 module fitted to it.It had to be original manufactures supply.
The Dawn Patrol
LMA No 3109

Pete Lewis

Postby Pete Lewis » December 21st, 2008, 4:22 pm

Thanks for the replies :)

I certainly wasn't aware of some of the issues pointed out .

Yes , there are ton's of info' available elsewhere on 2.4 stuff, but how to sift the wheat from the chaff is beyond me . this Forum's contributions are the first - and last ones I tend to take notice of. which says it all really.

regards. PL

Rob Cavell 529

Postby Rob Cavell 529 » December 21st, 2008, 10:20 pm

adrian west wrote:...........linked together with a thin coaxial cable that hangs at the back of the tranny which put me off............... regards ady

A friend of mine has one which puts me off too so having now seen it I wouldn't go down that route myself but then I had already invested in a DX7 and never looked back.
When I finally need to convert the rest of my squadron to 2.4 and need the mixers I miss from my Multiplex 3030 which are not contained on the DX7 I will get another dedicated set probably a JR which is compatible with Spekky.

Sorry Multiplex you have missed the boat and lost a convert by announcing you will be entering the module field in 2009!

Denis Brown

Postby Denis Brown » December 22nd, 2008, 1:42 pm

adrian west wrote:Forgot to say that was the spectrum module replacement

Have Spektrum module on my JR9x11 it also has the cable at the back. I was abit put off when I fitted it but been using it it since May and never had any bother with it dangling at the back. One day I may upgrade to a JR 2.4 TX but I have been happy with the 9X11 in the 2.4 set up
Just heard the batteries ping must get out again until dusk

DB :D

stuart cotgrove

Postby stuart cotgrove » December 27th, 2008, 3:48 pm

has anyone had the whisker aerials fracture where they exit the casing... i have had two do this now.... one on a 7000 and one on a 6200. one in a petrol plane, and t'other in an os52 fourstroker...

have retrofitted heat shrink over the aerial and collar now to prevent this and added a bolb of silicone for support...

poor design in my humble opinion...

Roy Hill 1855

Postby Roy Hill 1855 » December 27th, 2008, 6:30 pm

Yes Stuart, later rxs had short tubes integral with the housing to help support the ae,s, the destructions do advise supporting the ae,s with adhesive tape etc,i use a cocktail stick stuck to the case with 2 blobs of evo stick,and 2 small o rings to secure ae,s, works for me.-------Safe flying,---Roy. 8-)

stuart cotgrove

Postby stuart cotgrove » December 27th, 2008, 6:45 pm

Roy Hill 1855 wrote:Yes Stuart, later rxs had short tubes integral with the housing to help support the ae,s, the destructions do advise supporting the ae,s with adhesive tape etc,i use a cocktail stick stuck to the case with 2 blobs of evo stick,and 2 small o rings to secure ae,s, works for me.-------Safe flying,---Roy. 8-)

nice idea thanks Roy. One of the fractures has been on the later type of rx too...

poor design really... :(

barrie burton

Postby barrie burton » February 11th, 2009, 2:23 pm

This question may have been asked before,but here goes,is the ASSAN 2.4 gig module legal to use in the UK ?

Return to “2.4 Ghz and Large Models”