Reversing a Zenoah

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
nickhenderson

Reversing a Zenoah

Postby nickhenderson » November 1st, 2011, 7:25 am

Amongst all the Zenoah experts out there, can anyone advise if this is possible? Are any serious mods required. Engine would be a G62.
Thanks for any input.

Mike Ellis

Re: Reversing a Zenoah

Postby Mike Ellis » November 1st, 2011, 8:33 am

I,m sure Richard Rawle will be able to help you. He had 2 x Zenoahs in his Hornet and to prevent excess swinging on take-off he ran one in reverse so the aircraft tracked a lot straighter . The RH engine ran CLOCKWISE ! So it is possible lol

Mike Ellis

Clive Hall

Re: Reversing a Zenoah

Postby Clive Hall » November 23rd, 2011, 4:03 pm

For general interest - though this does not apply to the ZG62, only to the ZG20.

On the ZG20, on the carburettor side of the crankcase, there are two threaded holes that can provide an alternative mounting for the ignition sensor. With the sensor mounted in this posdition the ignition point is moved 90 degrees and allows the engine to run in the reverse direction. Being a side-induction engine it is symmetrical with regard to breathing. I have tried this and the engine ran in the reverse rotation, i.e. clockwise as seen from in front just the same as in the normal set-up. The checked rpm were the same, starting and throttling were no different.
Unfortunately none of the larger engines offers this feature.

Clive Hall

Return to “Technical Help required”