zenoa exhaust

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
Arthur Fielding

zenoa exhaust

Postby Arthur Fielding » December 1st, 2021, 2:26 pm

Hi
I have just acquired a old Z38 with a rear exhaust and no choke carb.
The silencer fitted ( silver in colour )is the same as I see in pictures of this engine, however there are no exhaust down pipes as such, just a few slots cut in the silence to let the exhaust gasses out. If fitted in side a cowling the exhaust gasses have no direct route to fresh air.
just wondered what people using this engine do ?
I do know this engine is no longer made.
Thanks for your time
Arthur

david walker

Re: zenoa exhaust

Postby david walker » December 1st, 2021, 8:51 pm

Hi Arthur it sounds like what you have is an original Zenoah silencer fitted to the engine. If you open the silencer it should have a baffle plate inside. To change it to something more conventional you will need to able to silver solder.

If you make up a small hardwood block about 1 inch thick you can then lay the part of the silencer with the slots on it on top of this and then hammer the slots flat which will close this outlet. If you have a steel punch you can use this to help flatten the louvers.

Once this is done you can then reassemble the silencer. you will ten need some steel pipe about 10mm outside diameter. if you want the outlets from the bottom of the cowl you nee to drill 2 X 10mm holes. these need to be in the part of the silencer that had the louvers but in the face which points down.

Once done you can then insert the 10 MM pipes so they are just inside the silencer ( pipes need to be about 2 inch long and about 20mm spacing)

Make sure the pipes and silencer are very clean and then you can silver solder them in place .

I hope this is clear but if you are still unsure I can do a couple of sketches which you help.

If you want longer outlets you can extend the ones you have in place with silicon tube .

Cheers Dave Walker

Arthur Fielding

Re: zenoa exhaust

Postby Arthur Fielding » December 3rd, 2021, 2:06 pm

Thank you for your reply.
I took the silencer apart today and found a baffel plate and a mesh "filter".
I do understand your sujestions for the mod ,its now on my list of things to do
Have a good Xmas
Arthur.

Return to “Technical Help required”