Large Flowler flaps

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
Hugh Grant mbe

Large Flowler flaps

Postby Hugh Grant mbe » December 27th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Has anyone made flap tracks for 4" extension of Fowler flaps. If so could you Email me on gaelforce6@hotmail.co.uk.Thanks.
Hugh Grant. LMA 3000

Phil Clark

Re: Large Flowler flaps

Postby Phil Clark » January 1st, 2009, 6:58 pm

Drawings of the Robart Fowler mechanism can be found here...........

http://www.robart.com/images/Hinges/345dim.pdf

Not sure if you can adapt this idea?

Phil

Steven_Rickett

Postby Steven_Rickett » January 2nd, 2009, 11:24 am

Hi Hugh,

I made Fowler flaps for my first P-38, using the RCM plans available from the States. They did work, but were a lot of trouble to set up and added quite a bit of weight. The biggest problem is trying to get 4" worth of travel from a servo. This really means you need great big control horns, which cuts own the power of the servo (dramatically) and leaves each servo very suseptible to stalling. The second big problem is that no two servos move exactly the same amount (except perhaps digital servos, but I haven't checked these) and so the errors in movement are exaggerated over the 4" of travel (including the slop from the servo too). I ended up making 4 individual servo horns all different lengths to get the correct amount of movement.

On my second P-38 I have done away with the Fowlers and just used split flaps. SO much easier and more practical. If you can work out a method of using proportional hydraulic rams, or screw jacks, then you will have more success.
Attachments
m_100_3569.jpg
m_100_3569.jpg (38.46 KiB) Viewed 7240 times
m_100_3591.jpg
m_100_3591.jpg (33.31 KiB) Viewed 7241 times

Steven_Rickett

Postby Steven_Rickett » January 2nd, 2009, 11:25 am

One more
Attachments
m_100_3590.jpg
m_100_3590.jpg (36.51 KiB) Viewed 7239 times

Hugh Grant mbe

Postby Hugh Grant mbe » January 8th, 2009, 10:32 am

Steven,
Thanks for you info and photos. Things have progressed a bit and I can now get the travel. The L.E. also needs to drop 1/2" below the wing trailing edge to allow full airflow over the flaps top surface and I hope to achieve this from radiused guide tracks using a 6mm ballrace running in (4) tuffnel tracks.
I am using 11kg/cm servos and a Phil Clark long servo arm that should give me about 2.5kg/cm on each of the two servos.
The other option is bowden cable and servo winches (like the real thing) but I dont think it is reliable enough too many pulleys and possible slack wires.
Hope to see you at Wigan
Hugh Grant LMA 3000

Hugh Grant mbe

Postby Hugh Grant mbe » January 9th, 2009, 7:11 pm

I am checking out the Firgelli RC ready Linear actuators they could also revolutinise retract systems as an alternative to air. :) :)

Return to “Technical Help required”