Paint remover

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
BRIAN RAWCLIFFE

Paint remover

Postby BRIAN RAWCLIFFE » July 28th, 2011, 7:27 pm

I am about to renovate a 1/4 scale warbird, and i think the paint is enamel.Question,which is the best paint remover to use,i have tried various thinners with no luck.Many thanks Brian..

stewart clifford

Re: Paint remover

Postby stewart clifford » July 28th, 2011, 8:21 pm

Cellulose standard thinners and loads of it, if it's a blue and yellow Hellcat I would also give it a rub over with some wet and dry first so the thinners can get in easier.

Stewart

PHIL ATHERTON 2400

Postby PHIL ATHERTON 2400 » July 28th, 2011, 8:52 pm

Hi Brian,
I can get you chloride that will strip it let me know if you want to try it...

regards
Phil

BRIAN RAWCLIFFE

Postby BRIAN RAWCLIFFE » July 29th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Many thanks, but i have already tried cellulose and it does not work.Possible reason could be because i found out this morning that it's two pack,and i think the [ blow lamp ] will be too hot,and sanding all day at my age is not easy anymore.Any suggestions most welcome.Brian.
ps. Stewart, good guess it's a Zirolli Hellcat blue and yellow.

Peter Clare

Postby Peter Clare » August 9th, 2011, 11:30 pm

I think your best bet is to take off the gloss finish with wet and dry rubbing down paper and then paint over it. Try 400 grade used wet with soap. This should achieve a ' flat' finish without scratches although you might need coarser paper. Automotive paint suppliers will sell wet and dry in single sheets if needed. You can fill any blemishes with sanding filler and you can paint over existing two pack with any type of paint . If you can find a solvent which will remove two pack it will probably ' remove ' most of your plane as well ! Regards, Peter Clare.

BRIAN RAWCLIFFE

Postby BRIAN RAWCLIFFE » August 10th, 2011, 10:02 am

Peter,that's exactly what i have been doing for the last 10 day's,but i have to be very careful because i had assumed
that the airframe had been glass clothed.Unfortunately whoever covered it used tex material with lots of primer
then the 2 pack, but i am slowly winning.Many thanks Brian..

andywynn

Postby andywynn » August 11th, 2011, 8:35 am

Hi Brian,
My dad bought a small hand held electrical sander, he and i used it in the rebuild of my Mk 24 Spit. It was absolutly brilliant, brought the paint off a treat ( have to be a little careful when you get near the wood though). The one my dad has was made by Ryobi and he picked it up with a load of accessories in B&Q for about £30. Cant remember the model but its more or less identical to the old Black and Decker Mouse. Saves a lot of elbow grease. Hope that helps and see you in Elvington.

Andy

BRIAN RAWCLIFFE

Postby BRIAN RAWCLIFFE » August 11th, 2011, 10:01 am

Andy,i have a Performance power sander which i have been using and it has helped,another couple of day's and it will be ready for priming.Weather permitting i shall be putting the Tempest through it's routine at Elvington. Brian..

Return to “Technical Help required”