Chord of a wing

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
Gerard Jordan

Chord of a wing

Postby Gerard Jordan » July 21st, 2009, 5:45 am

1) For a Learner: How does one correctly measure the chord of a wing, through it, around it, or over the top surface centre to centre, or whatever, for comparison purposes when one of the wings concerned is not available.

2) Is it possible to buy plans only for Trainer type wings, thanks to this mobile tree I have a spare fuselage, and an Arising Star wing is 1.25 inches too `wide` ?. Any advice from members would be much appreciated. 4001

Chris Lane

Re: Chord of a wing

Postby Chris Lane » July 21st, 2009, 7:44 am

Gerard; for 1/ consider only the outline of the wing - its 'shadow' if you like. The chord is the average 'width' of the wing measured along the direction of flight. It is sometimes easier to calculate it from chord=area/span. Chris [2938]

stuart cotgrove

Re: Chord of a wing

Postby stuart cotgrove » July 21st, 2009, 8:09 am

I have seen some quite mismatched wings to fuselages in my time with people putting together Bitza type planes from parts they had left over.

Guy at our club even put a wing from a "low winger" on top of a spare trainer fuselage and swore it was the best flying model he had.

As for wing only plans, why not get a complete plan and just build the wing?

What size chord and span was the wing that you need to replace, perhaps someone on here has a similar plan they could mail to you?

Return to “Technical Help required”