Beginners Guide to Powerbox & Gyros!

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
Mike Healy

Beginners Guide to Powerbox & Gyros!

Postby Mike Healy » April 16th, 2016, 10:26 am

Hello all - whilst I have been an active builder and occasional designer of model aircraft since Biggles first Flew, I am now building a 1/3 Balsa USA Stearman, under LMA guidance as it may well exceed the 20k limit. I am in new territory in a few areas of course, as my previous 'Large' models have been 1/4 scale 2.5 metre scale (Chipmunks, Stampes, Stearmans, Tiger Moths etc). I have taken Steves advice and am considering going the Powerbox way to comply with the 'over 20k' rules - trouble is, I am really struggling knowing what sort of set-up I need for the Stearman - I shall be using a DX9 Black Spectrum Tx, and have bought an AR9110 Rx - I also have a couple of AR8000's and other 6 channel rx's as well. I shall be using Savox MG servos of specs suggested by Steve Webb, using single servos on each control surface - that's the plan.

I have thought that considering the size and weight, but in view of my type of flying (scale manoeuvres, nothing violent or 3D!) that I don't need one of the all-singing and dancing, top-of-the-range Powerbox units as it's only 4 channel (plus smoke) - I note that Powerbox do a unit which is specifically designed for Spectrum at about £150 - can I use this with the addition of one of my other Spectrum Rx's to provide the required spec for certification? However, I do want to fit a gyro system and I note that Powerbox do the iGyro 3e at about £150 - also another, the iGyro SRS at about £250, - I really am not sure that I need this one, so would the 3e be OK?

Really Guys, I do need some ideas from anyone who has any ideas on this - I am very much a new boy in this technology and would welcome your input.

Many thanks

Dave Wilshere

Re: Beginners Guide to Powerbox & Gyros!

Postby Dave Wilshere » April 18th, 2016, 6:12 pm

The Spektrum Evolution would meet the requirements as you run multiple Rx's (remotes) and it has dual batteries.
So you don't need a receiver as such.
The iGyro3e will also work, you can put it between the Evolution and servos, there are two ports for both ailerons and elevators.

If you want a run down call me day time 01923 270405

Dave

Mike Healy

Re: Beginners Guide to Powerbox & Gyros!

Postby Mike Healy » May 10th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Thanks Dave - model now almost ready for flight testing - taken a long time, but used Powerbox Mercury SRS and 4 Spektrum DSMX satellite r/x's. As the model is part covered with scale aluminium panels, doubters have said I could have problems with the panelling interfering with the radio link from t/x to r/x's - is this valid do you think? I have put one satellite one each side of the cockpit (below the panelling level) antennas lengthwise, one behind the central rudder servo (mounted low down) and one high-up on F2, both with antennas transversely orientated - what is your opinion on this set-up?

Return to “Technical Help required”