Flair 1/4 scale DR1 control throws?

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
martin collins

Flair 1/4 scale DR1 control throws?

Postby martin collins » October 29th, 2017, 6:18 pm

i've just purchased a second hand Flair DR1 with a Zenoah 23 engine. I don't have any details for the kit. can anyone give me CoG and suggested control throws please.
Also any tips on flying it as i had a Flai Baronette years ago which was a handful on take off and landing, i guess i am in for some of the same with this.............

Many thanks.....Martin

Bob Thompson1894

Re: Flair 1/4 scale DR1 control throws?

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » October 30th, 2017, 8:21 am

Always in to wind and its a pussycat. Landings are best with a bit of power on, although mine used to dead stick fine keeping the speed up. Cant remember the other stuff but it was sluggish on ailerons and sensitive to elevator.

martin collins

Postby martin collins » October 30th, 2017, 9:19 am

Many thanks for the reply Bob, this one has been well flown and is set up with the ailerons on a Y lead all soldered together so has been used with no differential in it, would i be better cutting the wires and making it two leads to get some in our just fly as is, it has obviously done a few years like this. I am adding 50% aileron / rudder mix............Martin

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » October 30th, 2017, 11:34 am

Think I would try it before messing. I could never get enough aileron for a decent roll. The rudder mix is a good idea. Not sure about 50% though. Sounds a lot. Mine had a Z26 and it was not overpowered so I think you will need to fly it using height and diving for manouvres.

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » October 30th, 2017, 9:53 pm

Before you cut any wires, just make sure that it hasn't got mechanically set differential on each aeleron.

Peter Siggins

Postby Peter Siggins » October 31st, 2017, 2:34 pm

Hi Martin ,over the years I have had three of the Flair DR1’s flown with 3 different engines - laser 200 Vtwin,z23,and my latest with a Z26.
The Z 26 is about right and balances perfectly.
I always couple aileron and rudder ,but as Bob says 50% is too much - try 30% as a starter.If you get as much throws for aileron and elevators as possible,rudder 2” each way (I haven’t converted to metric yet).
Can’t help with balance at the moment as I’d have to put it together.
Always take off and land into wind and once down keep the elevator up until its finished rolling.
A nose over is unavoidable sometimes - scale any way ( that’s my excuse)

Hope this helps

Pete

John Webb

Postby John Webb » October 31st, 2017, 11:30 pm

Digging through the plan box under the bench, found my original Flair plans. CG 6" back from the firewall which equates to almost exactly half way back on the top wing when it's all assembled and dry. Like Pete, with too many years experience on DR1s it's not that critical, better just a tad nose heavy
Hope this helps

John Webb 800

martin collins

Postby martin collins » November 5th, 2017, 8:00 pm

Many thanks again for the replies, looking forward to flying it when the wind drops.............Martin

Return to “Technical Help required”