p47 air under cart advice

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
richard armstrong

p47 air under cart advice

Postby richard armstrong » February 15th, 2018, 7:40 pm

i have a large scale p47 with ray slack under-cart

i am in the process of putting a new air tanks and fittings,

i was wondering if it is worth putting in a air gauge to show tanks pressure at present the air tanks rides in the centre bubble of the wing with the fill value on the side, the gauge would sit in the cockpit

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/air-pressure-gauge.html

i know the best way is to keep it simple and avoid the points of failure

what would the best approach?

any suggestions would be helpful
Richard "the rocket" Armstrong

"Fly me to the moon" then crash and burn BABY!

Bob Thompson1894

Re: p47 air under cart advice

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 15th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Are you on commission for Hobbyking, Richard? Dont you have a pressure gauge on your pump? You will not see that dial as it flies by...

richard armstrong

Postby richard armstrong » February 15th, 2018, 9:04 pm

yes i have a gauge on the pump but i really was thinking about air leaks a gauge would show minor leaks on an unknown

stuart knowles 1611

Postby stuart knowles 1611 » February 15th, 2018, 9:31 pm

If possible, I would keep everything, Tank, valve and air control, into the wing. If its a split wing then there is/are only 1/2 connections to be made across the centre line. (depending on air up/down or air/spring) If a one piece wing then obviously no connections to be made on assembly at all.
If you have some components in the fus then the number of connections to be made on each assembly increases.
I don't use the gauge myself but if you can install one in the wing I can't see a problem really

Cary Bailey

Postby Cary Bailey » February 16th, 2018, 8:17 am

Richard, why bother with a gauge as Alan says you can't see it when it's flying! However you could go one step better and fit a pressure sensor that should the pressure fall below a certain level it activates the retract servo to operate the system to bring the undercarriage down! Then you know there's a leak!
Cary

richard armstrong

Postby richard armstrong » February 16th, 2018, 10:36 am

Cary Bailey wrote:Richard, why bother with a gauge as Alan says you can't see it when it's flying! However you could go one step better and fit a pressure sensor that should the pressure fall below a certain level it activates the retract servo to operate the system to bring the undercarriage down! Then you know there's a leak!
Cary

cary

i like the idea of the pressure sensor have you done this to any of the p51! and is there one available

richard armstrong

Postby richard armstrong » February 16th, 2018, 11:12 am

stuart knowles 1611 wrote:If possible, I would keep everything, Tank, valve and air control, into the wing. If its a split wing then there is/are only 1/2 connections to be made across the centre line. (depending on air up/down or air/spring) If a one piece wing then obviously no connections to be made on assembly at all.
If you have some components in the fus then the number of connections to be made on each assembly increases.
I don't use the gauge myself but if you can install one in the wing I can't see a problem really

one piece wing all air tanks and fittings are in the hump

all i was going to add a quick connector 3 way to the line in and a single pressure gauge

Cary Bailey

Postby Cary Bailey » February 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm

richard armstrong wrote:
Cary Bailey wrote:Richard, why bother with a gauge as Alan says you can't see it when it's flying! However you could go one step better and fit a pressure sensor that should the pressure fall below a certain level it activates the retract servo to operate the system to bring the undercarriage down! Then you know there's a leak!
Cary

cary

i like the idea of the pressure sensor have you done this to any of the p51! and is there one available

Richard,
Yes
https://www.tamjets.com/gearfailsafe.php
Cary

Return to “Technical Help required”