Zenoha 38 magneto lead broken

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
Alan Cantwell 1131

Zenoha 38 magneto lead broken

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » February 19th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Damn, I dropped a magneto down 2 flights of stairs, and bust it, were the lead enters the magneto body, the insulation has cracked, and it’s a tad floppy, has anyone had this problem, and effected a repair? I am thinking JB weld, but would it keep the interference gremlins out? The purpose of the insulation layer is to just that, would it be safe?

Tony Collins 1073

Re: Zenoha 38 magneto lead broken

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » February 19th, 2018, 11:45 pm

Alan, Unless you have knocked a chunk off the casing you won't need to resort to JB Weld
If the casing is cracked only and you can clamp it or strap it enough to close the gap then a good quality super glue will do just fine.
Just make sure the HT lead is fully home. A drop of accelerator and job done. If you use a slow superglue then you can run it into the crack before clamping to make sure it goes right in.
Good luck,
Tony.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » February 20th, 2018, 5:35 pm

I've repaired a couple of Z38 mags around the ignition lead with epoxy, with no problems at all.
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » February 20th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Alan.just to put your mind at rest about the Rf gremlins you refer to.
This is RF generated from within, not from the outside.
In a Capacitor Discharge unit, there is a very high voltage spike emitted and it
Must be screened metallically from the plug right back to the ignition unit output.
If you have the basic magneto system the initial Voltage spike is very much lower, just like the the old Kettering ignition system
and screen leads are not required, just a resistor plug. That insulation that you referred to is just that, an insulator to prevent the spark fro the inner cable being able to jump to any outside item. It has nothing at all to do with containing RF emissions.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
From your friendly gremlin killer :lol:

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » February 20th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Gentlemen, thanks you very much, it was bad enough dropping the thing, just a good job it wasn’t a customers! Also talked to the boss today, he also has epoxied them, so glad the lecky gremlins won’t leak out of the break, and make the airframe wobble, many thanks, :D

Return to “Technical Help required”