Engine standoffs

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
Frank Skilbeck

Engine standoffs

Postby Frank Skilbeck » June 25th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Looking for some 75mm standoffs for a DLA 32cc, any recommendations where I can buy some.

david walker

Re: Engine standoffs

Postby david walker » June 26th, 2018, 8:25 pm

Frank, not sure about the model you are building but I would suggest avoiding 75mm engine standoffs. The problem when you go to longer standoffs is vibration problems. It would be far better to look at extending the engine mounting box to give you a more rigid solution and hence far less vibration..
Sorry its more complex but overall a much improved solution.
Cheers Dave Walker

Frank Skilbeck

Postby Frank Skilbeck » June 27th, 2018, 8:21 pm

Dave, Thanks model is a Seagull Maxilift with a Pitts style silencer so making an engine mounting box (to go round the rear carb too) isn't that straight forward. At the moment it has the standard 60mm standoffs with the bulkhead "packed" out with additional Ply plates so the exhaust clears the main bulkhead. All had been well in general flying, but I did some aerotowing at the weekend and prolonged full throttle climb-outs seem to have caused one engine bolts to come loose and I lost the standoff.

Maybe I'll look at making a more rigid engine mounting box that is clamped between the engine and main bulkhead using the long engine bolts, would this work?

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » June 27th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Would it be better to have a bigger diameter against the bulkhead? Imagine a stand off about 25 Mm diam at the bulkhead, tapered down to fit the engine?

Return to “Technical Help required”