DB 1/4 scale Sopwiyh Pup & SE5

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
Rob Blacknell

DB 1/4 scale Sopwiyh Pup & SE5

Postby Rob Blacknell » July 1st, 2019, 6:03 am

Hi Guys, I have the above planes to restore to flight. The pup has flown in the past, but needs a little love. The SE5 is part built. They are old kits, not the laser cut stuff you get nowadays. Does anyone have plans for either or both they can part with? Planning on a Zenoah 38 for the pup, 'cos I have one doing nowt at the moment. Does the Pup need aileron differential and/or aileron to rudder mixing? Not flown WW1 plane yet, so any help would be most appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Bob Thompson1894

Re: DB 1/4 scale Sopwiyh Pup & SE5

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 1st, 2019, 12:33 pm

It will be ballistic on a 38. Fair enough you can throttle it. I used to use both mixing and diff for ailerons on my Pup as the ailerons are not very responsive. (Gain a bit of height and speed for a roll!) They fly great, but landings need a bit of getting the speed right to avoid nose overs.

Steve Mansell

Postby Steve Mansell » July 1st, 2019, 8:29 pm

Rob, I love flying ww1 types and use aileron differential on all of my bipes. I also mix ail/rudder, but that's because I've got a lazy rudder thumb!
Cheers
Steve

Peter Siggins

Postby Peter Siggins » July 2nd, 2019, 2:44 pm

Hi Rob I’m in the process of borrowing a Pup plan for you - will have it a the W/end.

I used a 38 Zenoah in an SE5 I had - perfect engine with the weight in the right place,probably say the same weight wise for the Pup too,38s run well at half throttle and are ultra reliable - it would be my choice.Mixing rudder with ailerons makes life a bit easier,I didn’t use differential on my SE5 - flew well.

Be in touch via email

Pete

Return to “Technical Help required”