igyro 3e

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
Glenn Masters

igyro 3e

Postby Glenn Masters » April 13th, 2020, 1:26 pm

HI,
Can anyone please advise me regarding installation of the above mentioned gyro ? Originally purchased to maybe help with the pendulous rolling tendancies of my F7F , but first i'm wanting to try it out in my trusty Gee Bee racer . . . This uses a 617 futaba receiver with a remaining spare channel 5 which i have connected to the gyro gain. I have assigned a dial knob to adjust the gain but I cannot seem to get any proportional adjustment ie. it appears to operate as a switch - off in the centre and on to the left or right ? I have also tried a 3 position switch which, again operates only as on or off ? The gyro becomes active in the on position but no gain adjustment is possible . . . interestingly, there is no display of movement or value etc in the ATV adjust window ? I have searched for setting up tips but fear i'm making a schoolboy error somewhere . . . Any help gratefully received. (pm me if you don't wish to declare any gyro knowledge!). cheers. Glenn.
ps. On installing this gyro into a twin receiver over 20kg aircraft, despite having seperate aileron and elevator inputs, Powerbox indicates it has a shared common power rail so can this effect the *redundancy* of the installation ?

Steve Rickett 2333

Re: igyro 3e

Postby Steve Rickett 2333 » April 13th, 2020, 8:07 pm

Hi Glen,

Its been quite a few years since I set up my Igyro but I may have an idea or two to try.

Try plugging in a spare servo to your channel 5 and just make sure that the Transmitter is setup as you want. There is definitely a clue with the ATV adjust window not showing movement. I find the ‘Servo’ page on your transmitter really useful to make sure you haven’t got any inadvertent mixing or strangeness going on!!

The only other option to try is to make sure you have the latest instructions from Powerbox... maybe there has been a version change?

https://www.powerbox-systems.com/uploads/tx_pbsdocuments/3600_02_Kurzanleitung_iGyro3e_en_01.pdf

One thing is for certain, you don’t want to go anywhere near Heading hold. This is generally a helicopter feature and will cause the loss of a scale fixed wing model very quickly...

Let me know how you get on... feel free email Stevejrickett at gmail dot com!

Frank Skilbeck

Postby Frank Skilbeck » April 13th, 2020, 9:37 pm

Glenn, not used an Igyro 3e, but how do you know the knob is not adjusting the gain, do you have the gyro gain displayed somewhere?

Glenn Masters

Postby Glenn Masters » April 14th, 2020, 8:18 am

Thanks for the replies chaps . . . I will try the servo 1st steve, as you say, it will confirm basic settings etc. Frank, you are right about the fact I don’t know for sure whether the gain is adjusting or not. But it’s a bit vague should that be the case. I need to get a response to channel 5 on the servo page before I can proceed methinks. ( It’s a Futaba SG14 tx by the way). I will report after further investigations . . . . Cheers

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » April 14th, 2020, 10:41 am

Glen, you can test the gain by wiggling the gyro and seeing how much the connected servo moves. Zero gain, not moves at all, max gain moves a lot. movement should increase as gain increases.

What I've done is set the gain dial to only go from zero to +100%, not -100% to +100%. That way, you can only adjust from no gain to max gain in damping mode, and not accidentally set any heading hold mode at all. Also, setting a switch to override the dial and turn the gain instantly to zero in case of any inadvertent problems on the first flight(s) could be helpful.

For the over 20kg redundancy part, best to discuss with your inspector, but using a single gyro is not a problem in itself, as long as you've got the diverse receivers and redundant power supplies as required.
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Charlie Cox

Postby Charlie Cox » April 14th, 2020, 12:33 pm

I use a Futaba 18SZ and I have set up a few of these now.

I initially set up with the gain into a channel that's linked to the rear slider on the transmitter.

The central detented position then equals 0 gain. I set mine up so that pushing the slider up increased gain on the damping setting, the green row of LED's on the Gyro and down for heading hold.
On the first fright I feed in the amount of gain I need in damping and once set, leave it alone.
On landing, I then transfer the switch to a three position switch, with the off position being in the middle, and the amount of gain you have set being stored in either the up or down position.
I am not familiar with the SG14 to be honest but it can't be that much different,

Hope that helps

Charlie

Glenn Masters

Postby Glenn Masters » April 14th, 2020, 6:07 pm

Thanks all for your messages and calls. I have ended up doing something similar to your description Charlie. . . my main issue initially was that i had assigned channel five and labelled it with *gyro*. Doing this, I have since discovered, introduces a pre ordained mix arrangement that appears to be linked to the use of futaba gyros only. I have since re named channel five *aux 1* After this all became clear and works as expected. I have set the gain adjust to a dial in order to set the percentages and then, as you say Charlie, I will transfer to a 3 position switch. Just gotta wait it out now before I can go and play with it !
Cheers

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » April 15th, 2020, 2:00 pm

mystery solved!

Return to “Technical Help required”