prop rotation electric twin

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
barrie burton

prop rotation electric twin

Postby barrie burton » July 3rd, 2020, 1:48 pm

I am looking at the front of the model,does the left motor rotate clockwise or anti clockwise.I want to use the ability of an electric motor to run in either direction, to avoid swing at take off,also less effect if power setups are not identical.Thank you in antisipation,as they say.

Tony Collins 1073

Re: prop rotation electric twin

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » July 4th, 2020, 8:09 am

Hi Barrie. This link will explain far better than I can. I will add that having motors rotating in opposite directions
will cancel any rotating effects from a single engine.
Tony.

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly ... endencies/
Last edited by Tony Collins 1073 on July 4th, 2020, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » July 4th, 2020, 8:39 am

Try both options as one may work better. There was at least one full size aircraft that flew poorly until they swapped the engines over and then it flew like a dream.
Last edited by Steve Perry on July 4th, 2020, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

barrie burton

Postby barrie burton » July 4th, 2020, 9:50 am

Thanks folks,I suspect it will be a case of suck it and see.It seems that there are at least 3 of us not at the pub.

Barrie B

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » July 4th, 2020, 11:31 am

Steve Perry wrote:Try both options as one may work better. There was at least one full size aircraft that flew poorly until they swapped the engines over and then it flew like a dream.

Would be interested to know which aircraft they were Steve.
Tony

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » July 4th, 2020, 3:49 pm

The twin Mustang was one of them https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/12979/why-did-upward-turning-propellers-in-the-f-82-twin-mustang-cause-a-loss-of-lift

Edit, I was told by the crew of an A400 that the contra arrangement of the engines produced more lift.
So the other way around would produce less lift.

Clive Hall

Postby Clive Hall » August 13th, 2020, 5:19 pm

The Lockheed XP-38 Lightning (prototype) used handed engines; the props rotated so that the blades at the top approached each other. Although this is the normal way to do it, it turned out to make this aircraft unstable as a gun platform. They tried it the other way and it solved the problem. The reason appears to remain unknown.
Google "prop rotation p-38", look at 'images', and you will find a shot of the XP-38 to compare with service aircraft. The difference is obvious. The RAF had some P-38s but they ignored the Lockheed advice on prop rotation and consequently found the aircraft not to their liking.

barrie burton

Postby barrie burton » August 14th, 2020, 8:54 pm

My twin has flown twice,so far.The two prop blades come together at the bottom.No problems,as yet, but only two flights in.
Barrie B

Return to “Technical Help required”