film covering adhesive

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
barrie burton

film covering adhesive

Postby barrie burton » March 5th, 2021, 2:15 pm

Afternoon folks,site is very quiet.Back in the old days I seem to remember using a solvent that could be rubbed on to the back of Solarfilm and the like,this would then activate the adhesive to enable the film to be stuck down without using heat,Anyone out there know what the liqued was/is? Thanks in advance.

Barrie Burton

Cary Bailey

Re: film covering adhesive

Postby Cary Bailey » March 5th, 2021, 6:54 pm

Barrie, depending upon how you are holding down the Solarfilm, you can use PVA adhesive but you need to tension the film slightly. But if it is that you want an "instant" sticking adhesive then I don't recall the type of solvent used, I used a quick drying type of PVA because generally solvents are "watery" and don't tend to allow any adhesive penetration into the wood you are sticking it to.
Cary

barrie burton

Postby barrie burton » March 5th, 2021, 7:00 pm

Cary,thanks,I need it for canopy trim to match the fus,but cannot use a hot iron for obvious reasons.

Arthur Fielding

Postby Arthur Fielding » March 5th, 2021, 7:53 pm

Hi Barrie
The product you need was called Primol, made by Solafilm. no longer available. Back in the old days I used to clean car tyre inner tubes with a liquid that had the same distinctive smell as Primol, before applying glue then the patch, It was known as Tip TOP solvent cleaner. I wonder if some place like Hallfords that sell push bike tyres and puncture repair kits might be able to help
Regards
Arthur

barrie burton

Postby barrie burton » March 6th, 2021, 9:14 am

Morning Arthur,found some Primol hidden in my shed,but does not seem to work with Hobby King iron on film.I am thinking of going down the double sided tape route.

paul hughes

Postby paul hughes » March 6th, 2021, 9:23 am

Hi Barrie, can you spray the back of your film with a photo mount adhesive and then fix to the canopy.

Return to “Technical Help required”