Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes: 23

Bob Thompson1894

Re: Off Topic Forum

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » October 10th, 2011, 5:41 am

Tony Collins 1073 wrote:Dave as this meant for you, it was simply a lesson on how to become an old fart. I speak as Chairman of the Chelmsford and Braintree Old Farts Club. I could edit it of course, but I won't just to be faithfull to the cause.

Anyway goes is spelt goes without an apostrophe you old fart. :lol: :lol: :lol:

'spelled'......and you missed the comma after' anyway' and 'apostrophe'...how long have you been left school? :lol:

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » October 10th, 2011, 7:37 am

Bob, missing a comma is a minor misdemeanour compared with "how long have you been left school?" is this a local colloquialism from your part of the country. Hardly the Queens English may I say.
As far as spelt versus spelled is concerned, William Shakespeare always used spelt, not spelled.
I left school 60 years ago and was top in my grade for English Literature. [Rock bottom in geography]
Spelt is the past tense of spell in the same way that learnt is the past tense of learn. In the US they need things to be more simple so they have tried to eradicate the wonderful anomalies in the ENGLISH language. As a result, spelled and learned have become generally accepted.

It would seem Bob, that our Off Topic Forum has already got under way. :geek: :lol:

PS. Could it be that the Old Farts Club has found a new member? :roll:

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » October 10th, 2011, 1:43 pm

Okay everybody today is the day, it’s your last chance to vote, yes or no, please don’t start moaning if you don’t want this forum you have had your chance like everybody else.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » October 10th, 2011, 4:44 pm

Tony Collins 1073 wrote:Bob, missing a comma is a minor misdemeanour compared with "how long have you been left school?" is this a local colloquialism from your part of the country. Hardly the Queens English may I say.
As far as spelt versus spelled is concerned, William Shakespeare always used spelt, not spelled.
I left school 60 years ago and was top in my grade for English Literature. [Rock bottom in geography]
Spelt is the past tense of spell in the same way that learnt is the past tense of learn. In the US they need things to be more simple so they have tried to eradicate the wonderful anomalies in the ENGLISH language. As a result, spelled and learned have become generally accepted.

It would seem Bob, that our Off Topic Forum has already got under way. :geek: :lol:

PS. Could it be that the Old Farts Club has found a new member? :roll:
:lol:

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » October 11th, 2011, 8:19 am

Okay, voting is over 65% yes and 35% no. so I will set up the forum today, now this does not mean it will be permanent, it will depend on you all using it, it’s the same as the Jets forum don’t use it then you lose it.

Name of the forum will be The Old Forum Lounge

markduffy

Postby markduffy » March 27th, 2013, 5:34 pm

some nice flying full size.. Something for everyone to watch

http://youtu.be/1bJmCkH7rFw

Return to “New Forum Required?”