Electric setup for an IC twin

Post here if you can help or need help on anything electrical.
Chris Walby

Electric setup for an IC twin

Postby Chris Walby » May 3rd, 2023, 8:23 pm

Sounds a bit like a contradiction, but the engines are IC although the question is related to the electric set up for a 10 Kg twin.

I am on Spektrum and was intending to have a dual battery supply to the RX (via a 4max Mini Servo Power Distribution Box, Red) and the model has electric retracts via a controller/sequencer.

This got me thinking whether I should have a sperate UC battery (weight and technically not an issue with the bits I have) or tie it into one of the RX batteries. I'll need to check that the if that battery is discharged by stalled UC it doe not discharge the other RX battery.

I would like to move towards the larger model and pick up good practices for lager models on the way.

If anyone has either specific advice to this question or generic assistance it would be welcomed.

Thanks for your time and regards Chris

John Greenfield

Re: Electric setup for an IC twin

Postby John Greenfield » May 4th, 2023, 7:41 am

Seperate battery for the retract system is the way to go. That wat there would be no risk of a retract problem pulling the voltage down to the receivers with the risk of a Brown out....or worse.

John

Frank Skilbeck

Re: Electric setup for an IC twin

Postby Frank Skilbeck » May 17th, 2023, 7:13 pm

While a separate UC battery is a good safe guard, check your electric retracts a lot of them have built in stall protection to prevent the power supply being continuously discharged.

Return to “Electric Stuff”