Set up for large models

Post here if you can help or need help on anything electrical.
Chris Walby

Set up for large models

Postby Chris Walby » June 18th, 2023, 2:49 pm

Slightly confused modeler.

For the larger models I appreciate the need/requirement for dual redundancy but this is where I start getting confused with some of the arrangements I have seen (rightly or wrongly).

Simplistically, I thought for dual redundancy you need:
Two batteries, two switches and two receivers (electrically separate) with each receiver driving a spread of servos (RX1 right aileron, left elevator etc and RX2 left aileron, right elevator etc).

However I have a model that has 2 receivers, but everything goes through a single Power Box (that has dual battery supplies, but only one power switch!). Talking to someone about a new Power Box they implied that satellite aerials count as remote receivers as dual diversity.

Perhaps I don't appreciate the dual redundancy of the Power Box to be truly diverse, but if I take it as a single component, surely if it was to fail (internal component failure) then there would be complete loss of control?

There is little difference in cost with either two receivers or a power box version as both come with multiple satellite aerials and I am renewing the wiring anyway.

Any opinions welcomed, Regards Chris

John Greenfield

Re: Set up for large models

Postby John Greenfield » June 19th, 2023, 7:59 am

Chris

Your simplistic solution is favoured by many as the parts count is low and therefore there is less to go wrong.
With the "power distribution box" option you have to be careful as there are many types on the market. The more high end ones have internal redundancy and electronic failsafe switches so comply but other cheaper copies do not have the internal redundancy and can be a single point of failure.

John

Chris Walby

Re: Set up for large models

Postby Chris Walby » June 20th, 2023, 8:57 pm

John,

Thanks for the guidance, much appreciated. I'll go with the two of everything as its both simple and does not require grilling manufacturers/suppliers as to whether their product is truly dual redundant.

Regards Chris

Return to “Electric Stuff”