Safe switches

Post here if you can help or need help on anything electrical.
Andy Boylett

Safe switches

Postby Andy Boylett » December 18th, 2010, 11:28 am

Any one got any thhoughts on this?.....

I was talking with my son Sam about the electrical set-up for our half scale Spacewlaker and was discussing the problem of switches that can fail open circuit. Sam immediately said, why don't you just use 2 switches wired in parallel? So, when you turn on one switch the power is connected. Then, when you turn on the other switch it also connects the power. So now both switches are supplying power so if either fails the other remains ok. Obviously to switch off, you have to switch both off. To ensure both switches are working you also have to try them seperately.

Thinking about it, I am amazed that there is not just a small standard switch that incorporates 2 independant switches (patent pending :D ).

Simon Willey

Re: Safe switches

Postby Simon Willey » December 18th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Andy Boylett wrote:Any one got any thhoughts on this?.....

I was talking with my son Sam about the electrical set-up for our half scale Spacewlaker and was discussing the problem of switches that can fail open circuit. Sam immediately said, why don't you just use 2 switches wired in parallel? So, when you turn on one switch the power is connected. Then, when you turn on the other switch it also connects the power. So now both switches are supplying power so if either fails the other remains ok. Obviously to switch off, you have to switch both off. To ensure both switches are working you also have to try them separately.

Thinking about it, I am amazed that there is not just a small standard switch that incorporates 2 independent switches (patent pending :D ).

All my Petrol models now use a pair of switches in Parallel. It seams a very common trend and has proved most reliable. It is important to test them on a regular basis if you are to get the benefit from it. The output of the switches are plugged into separate channels on the RX to spread the load over more of the input pins where possible .

Si
The Dawn Patrol
LMA No 3109

Andy Boylett

Re: Safe switches

Postby Andy Boylett » December 20th, 2010, 10:10 pm

Thanks Simon. I think I will be doing this as well now.

Return to “Electric Stuff”