voltage regulators

Post here if you can help or need help on anything electrical.
Arthur Fielding

voltage regulators

Postby Arthur Fielding » September 8th, 2021, 9:03 am

Hi
I am looking to use a 2cell lipo to run a 4.8 volt Rx system, but can not find any of the voltage regulators that used to be around.
So me thinks could i use the BEC side of a electric speed controller to run the system , ( not running any electric motor just 4 servos and the RX )
Thanks for your time
Arthur

Rob Buckley

Re: voltage regulators

Postby Rob Buckley » September 8th, 2021, 4:34 pm

https://www.4-max.co.uk/ubec.htm

Not a recommendation, just found them on Google.
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Arthur Fielding

Postby Arthur Fielding » September 9th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Thank you for the info Rob just what I need.
Reguards
Arthur

stuart knowles 1611

Postby stuart knowles 1611 » September 10th, 2021, 7:09 am

I've always been reluctant to use Lipos in an airframe because of the fire risk when charging in situ. Most of my fleet has migrated from NiMh to LiFe batteries.

Although I can confirm that if you inadvertantly charge LiFe batteries with the NiMh setting on the charger the Lifes will be completely goosed in the morning..... but your house won't have burned down in the night.

Are there reasons to use Lipos over Lifes when powering our radio systems?? Life batteries don't need a regulators at all, one less thing to go wrong.

Arthur Fielding

Postby Arthur Fielding » September 19th, 2021, 7:21 pm

Hi Stuart
Re batteries ,size for size lipo are half the price ,the higher voltage of life whilst ok for Rx use is too high for the 4.8 volt servo`s I use. So which ever battery I choose it would need a voltage regulator
Just to rekindle the two battery debate ,I did as a lad i power my models with a 4.8 volt Deac ,charged it over night and flu it all day with ignorant bliss . As the models got bigger I got reading about the two battery power supply to the Rx debate, and decided why not ?.So my glider has two NIMH , It took of today again with both batteries fully charged and landed with one absolutely flat .So it can happen.
Stay safe
Regards
Arthur.

Dave Wilshere

Postby Dave Wilshere » October 1st, 2021, 7:02 am

Just as a point...there is no such thing as 4.8v requirement in the Rc industry. Its a hang over from JR going on about 4.8v servos...where what they meant was 4 cell Nicad. Charge one of those and 1.5v per cell x 4 = 6.0v. This applies to all std voltage servos. Its why PB set their std output at 5.9v.
JR could not say servos were 6v servos as modellers would take 5 cell Nicad batteries sold as '6v' and charge them to 7.5v...that could damage std servos.

Return to “Electric Stuff”