Open Tx or Edge Tx?

Post here for general queries or anything radio related.
Timothy Huff

Open Tx or Edge Tx?

Postby Timothy Huff » December 6th, 2021, 5:35 pm

I've recently bought a TX16s, and am considering whether or not to operate it with Edge Tx rather than the Open Tx. I'm inclined to follow the advice of the film below, and stick with the Open Tx.

On the other hand, it'd be good to seek a 2nd opinion, so if any of you have strong views/experience with either, I'd be most interested to read your views!

Cheers,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mozTuHAu1FE

sean smith

Re: Open Tx or Edge Tx?

Postby sean smith » December 15th, 2021, 9:32 pm

I run my TX16s in Open Tx, never had any issues with it so far. I have heard people have had some issues with Edge and have flashed their units back to Open TX? I also run TBS CrossFire on the same TX (external module)

stuart knowles 1611

Postby stuart knowles 1611 » December 15th, 2021, 10:11 pm

I can't speak for the Edge system but OTX on the FrSky Horus 12 seems straightforward (as much as any computer TX is these days)
I used to set up the model on the laptop and then load it into the TX but now I find it easier and quicker to copy a similar model forward within the TX, zero all the settings and then apply it to the new model adjusting as necessary. Things like Tripple rates, CAR, Throttle lock etc, which can be a bit tricky to programme in the first instance are just copied forward.

To be fair, any high end TX will fry the brain cells until it falls into place. Whichever you choose theres usually someone else been there first on line or YouTube.

Brian Dorricott

Postby Brian Dorricott » December 19th, 2021, 7:23 pm

I've used Edge Tx on my RM TX16s and find it absolutely fine but I was used to Open TX so no problems at all yet . Everything as OTX so it's just choice really but the touch screen does help sometimes with scrolling and selecting especially where you need to select using the roller and it moves when pressing. What I didn't like was a touch screen that was not implemented in OpenTX and doesn't seem to be a priority . If your a closet geek then go for it .

Timothy Huff

Postby Timothy Huff » December 21st, 2021, 6:26 pm

Many thanks for the advice chaps. I believe I'll be moving over the Edge TX.

<channeling my inner-geek>

Return to “Radio Equipment”