SPEKTRUM DX7 TRANSMITTER

Post here for general queries or anything radio related.
Dave Parry
Site Admin

SPEKTRUM DX7 TRANSMITTER

Postby Dave Parry » March 13th, 2009, 10:16 am

SPEKTRUM DX7 TRANSMITTER
by reg forster on March 12th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Spektrum DX7 Transmitter
I hope the following will be of interest to owners of the above.
I have experienced trouble with my recently purchased Mode 1 Transmitter.
No response on the throttle servo was experienced for thee first 15mm movement of the throttle stick(RH)
Further movement produced normal and trim operation..
Horizon were contacted and they were intrigued by this and arranged for a courier to pick up the TX.
This was returned with a note saying the transmitter has been recalibrated and power output checked.
The TX operates perfectly now and I cannot fault the service I received from Horizon.
I was told that the problem is extremely rare and I was very unlucky to have drawn the short straw.!!reg forster

Denis Brown

Re: SPEKTRUM DX7 TRANSMITTER

Postby Denis Brown » March 14th, 2009, 4:03 pm

Hope I get the same good service when I send an AR9000 which I bought today and has a fault

DB

Rob Cavell 529

Postby Rob Cavell 529 » March 14th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Denis Brown wrote:Hope I get the same good service when I send an AR9000 which I bought today and has a fault

DB

You will.

Denis Brown

Postby Denis Brown » March 14th, 2009, 7:35 pm

Rob Cavell 529 wrote:
Denis Brown wrote:Hope I get the same good service when I send an AR9000 which I bought today and has a fault

DB

You will.

:evil: :evil: Thankyou :evil:

Denis Brown

Postby Denis Brown » March 19th, 2009, 12:01 pm

Denis Brown wrote:
Rob Cavell 529 wrote:

DB

You will.

:evil: :evil: Thankyou :evil:

I did get brilliant service. Credit where it is due.
DB

stuart cotgrove

Postby stuart cotgrove » March 19th, 2009, 7:12 pm

not heard a single problem with their service...

Ron Pearman

Postby Ron Pearman » March 24th, 2009, 5:40 pm

I've just had the benefit of the superb Horizon/Spektrum customer service. An obscure transmitter fault that occurred twice over about seven months (the first time I was flying and thought it was a servo problem). It happened the second time while I was programming a new model just ten days ago. Both times the Tx righted itself after a few minutes. A full description of the problem was sent with the Tx to Horizon. They couldn't reproduce the fault (it was in the aileron channel) but they sent me a new transmitter anyway. I've had the set for about two years, now that's what I call customer satisfaction!
Ron Pearman
Last edited by Ron Pearman on May 25th, 2009, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robin Woodhead

Re: Jeti New 2.4 Gh System

Postby Robin Woodhead » April 8th, 2009, 4:04 pm

For those of you who have spotted the information about the new Jeti 2.4Gh system, you may find the following information usefull before you invest your hard earned cash in one.

This information & advice is offered by Ivan Goodchild.

Re Duplex radio systems. These are designed on a one receiver one transmitter basis as a closed loop system. Whilst it is physically possible to set up two receivers in the model individually set to the same transmitter, when both receivers are switched on together the system will not work properly. In effect two systems are trying to sync to the same transmitter which the current Jeti system is not capable of doing.
Commercial systems can. In its current configuration this system is not suitable for dual receiver systems.

Therefore for the present it cannot be used on over 20Kg models.

paul cartwright

Postby paul cartwright » March 17th, 2012, 1:51 pm

My Dx7 has a fault too. All range checks at reduced range check out fine but with the bind button released i only have limited range and lose signal, now for the bad bit....i have lost two aircraft in 3 weeks due to this fault on both occasions the failsafe failed to operate. The set has now been returned to Horizon, Will let you know what happens.

paul cartwright

Postby paul cartwright » April 10th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Got my dx7 back after 3 weeks, Not much in the way of an explanation, But the software & firmware was both changed, a switch cleaned and the tx soak tested and returned as working, Have since done all the usual range checks moving the aerial aswell and all seems fine with no signs of droping out, As soon as the weather gives up interupting our flying i will try a small hack with this gear first.
A NOTE TO ALL SPEKTRUM USERS, ITS ALWAYS OCCASIONALLY WORTH GOING ON THEIR WEB SITE TO CHECK FOR RECALLS ETC AS THEY DONT SEEM TO GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO NOTIFY US OF ISSUES OR UPDATES, I only found out by chance.
On the plus side all the work they did on my Tx was done free of charge out of warranty, cant fault that!.

paul cartwright

Postby paul cartwright » April 22nd, 2012, 2:28 pm

UNBELIEVABLE........Having shelved my Dx7 due to lack of trust in this product after inspection/repair and getting no explanation from Horizon what caused the total loss of control of two different models in flight, I went out and bought a brand new Dx8 from Inwood Models this week, I binded it in and set up my model and went down to our field, switched on and went off to do a range check, Facing the air frame everything was ok, turned 90 degrees and nothing works, the failsafe activates so i turned my back on the model still nothing. Why is this stuff on sale?. Can anyone recomend any 2.4ghz radio that works, Having lost 2 planes in 2 weeks i feel its time for answers.

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » April 22nd, 2012, 5:37 pm

Paul, How do you position your Transmitter aerial, Up...Down...forward...to the left...to the right?

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » April 22nd, 2012, 5:57 pm

Paul, I must be lucky, never had an issue with Spectum or futaba 2.4 even the ones that have been recalled. I know I have tempt fate now.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » April 29th, 2012, 11:48 am

Paul, you say the signal was lost & the model went into failsafe while doing a range check? What was the range when the signal went?

I've had exactly the same performance from Spektrum that was fixed by making sure the RX & satellite unit were separated from each other by as far as they can & aligned with the axis of the antennas at 90 degrees to each other.
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

paul cartwright

Postby paul cartwright » May 13th, 2012, 8:28 pm

the aerial was positioned at 90 degrees (running alongside the top of the tx) and has performed absolutely fine for the last 2 1/2-3 years, since getting it back i have done extensive testing on it and it all seems fine, I still dont want to risk a model though so i have bought a Dx8.

paul cartwright

Postby paul cartwright » May 13th, 2012, 8:41 pm

After speaking to Horizon it appears the Dx8 doesnt have a good a range as the dx7 at reduced range (bind button pressed) and they say this is normal, Whilst doing range checks the tx must face the model at all times as 2.4 does not travel through water, also the tip of the aerial should never point towards the model.
Please forgive me for being over cautious, but two models in two flights hurts!.
At least with the telemetry module i can keep an eye on things.

Return to “Radio Equipment”