Reciever switches

Post here for general queries or anything radio related.
Alan Cantwell 1131

Reciever switches

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » September 10th, 2019, 8:29 pm

In this modern age, I am told that the humble slider on off switch for the airborne radio is a thing of the past, standard, or heavy duty versions, and electronic switches are the in thing, so, what variants of these are people using?

Cary Bailey

Re: Reciever switches

Postby Cary Bailey » September 11th, 2019, 7:09 am

Powerbox, inbuilt soft switched that operate as part of the receiver or the locking toggle switch!
Cary

Peter Siggins

Postby Peter Siggins » September 16th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Hi Alan I’ve used slider switches for over 30 years and - touch wood never had a problem.These have been used mostly with various sized petrol engines.I’m not saying they can’t fail but so far so good,I always have used the h.d JR type ,which are now unobtainable I think.
The new magnetic / electronic switches may well be a so called improvement so when they’ve had 30 years proving time ,I will change perhaps to them.Mind you that’ll make me 110 so it seems a little unlikely.

Pete

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » September 16th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Peter, if you look inside one you will realise how lucky you have been...

Peter Siggins

Postby Peter Siggins » September 16th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Perhaps I am lucky Bob but many modellers used toggle switches,which petrol engines can vibrate them to fail drastically.I was in the mower business and many chainsaws and strimmers were fitted with these and I was constantly replacing them due to falling to pieces internally.
The electronic and magnetic switches are relatively new and very expensive comparatively -still prefer to stick with what has served me well ,perhaps I’m of the dinosaur breed.

Pete

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » September 16th, 2019, 6:42 pm

me too Pete, but I always use two switches in parallel. That way if one goes iffy, it all still stays in the air.

Return to “Radio Equipment”