Greetings from the Costa del Fylde

This is an area for Off Topic Discussions which includes Tony Collins popular Fun Stuff.
Mark Shepherd

Greetings from the Costa del Fylde

Postby Mark Shepherd » February 15th, 2014, 9:21 pm

Hi, I'm Mark (obviously). I'm a relatively new convert to aero modelling, having only started flying in 2010. I enjoy building as much as flying, but many failed projects have taught me that I have a very steep learning curve!
From the start I have preferred the larger models- I took my A certificate with a Zenoah 45 powered Eurobat. I have since built a 91" Ugly Stick and have just bought the plans from Phillip Kent for the 84" Miles Hawk Speed Six.

One question though- what constitutes a large model? Is it over a certain weight or over a certain wingspan? Maybe over a certain scale (unlikely)?

I'm here to learn and hopefully (eventually) to contribute, but have a massive amount to learn from you!

Alan Cantwell 1131

Re: Greetings from the Costa del Fylde

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » February 15th, 2014, 10:39 pm

Welcome, sounds like you have taken the bull by the horns !!! :D a large model is seen as anything over 7KG

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » February 16th, 2014, 7:17 am

Hi Mark, welcome to the LMA, it seem you have at least grasped the fact that this hobby is a steep learning curve and not gone down the road of building a spitfire thing you could just fly it, as many have and failed.

I hope to see your contribution one day as I am sure it will happen. You will find the members on this forum very helpful to anyone who is serious about building large model aircraft, after all that is what the LMA are all about.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » February 17th, 2014, 7:29 am

Mark,

A 'Large' model is generally taken to be one over 7Kg, but there's no hard and fast rules. If you think a model's big, that's close enough!
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Return to “The Old Forum Lounge”