Off - Piste

This is an area for Off Topic Discussions which includes Tony Collins popular Fun Stuff.
Keith Mitchell

Off - Piste

Postby Keith Mitchell » September 25th, 2011, 10:43 pm

At Elvington a member asked me how I was getting-on with my Vampire project. I replied I'd done nothing in the last year ----.
Herewith my excuse:

I've been involved in writing the analysis chapter in a forthcoming book entitled Donald Campbell Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt, which I am pleased to announce will be published on the 30th September. A website exists for the book where further information can be obtained, viz:

http://www.bluebirdk7.com/

A formal launching will take place at the Ruskin Museum, Coniston on Sat. 8th October from 2pm to 5pm, when the author Neil Sheppard, Gina Campbell - daughter of Donald Campbell - and myself, will be present to sign copies.

The book contains many remarkable and previously unpublished photo's of Donald Campbell and his last unsuccessful and fatal campaign to break 300mph in late 1966/ early 1967. The analysis makes recourse to many unpublished documents made available to us from the Norris Brother's archive - designers/constructors of Bluebird - which shed new light on the causes of Campbell's tragic death.

I know that many modellers - particularly of my generation - share an interest in the Campbell story and hence my (unashamed) promotion of this book on the Forum. My apologies if this doesn't interest you ---.

The cost of the standard version is £30 + p&p but there is a limited edition version of 250 copies with many additional features including being signed by the last remaining members of the Bluebird Project Team. It will retail for £80 + p&p. They will be available directly from the website but the standard, unsigned versions will be available through Amazon and good quality bookshops.

I will have a small stock of signed copies for those I meet from time to time and to whom I can pass-on directly. Please indicate if you wish to take this offer up (I could pass-on at the AGM for instance).

This is an entirely non-profit making project and all nett proceeds will be split between the Bluebird Preservation Trust and the Ruskin Museum's Bluebird Wing Appeal.

I hope you might be interested in purchasing a copy ---.

Many thanks,
Regards,
Keith
Attachments
Full Cover.jpg
Full Cover.jpg (33.82 KiB) Viewed 20563 times

Paul Holt

Re: Off - Piste

Postby Paul Holt » September 26th, 2011, 6:20 am

Keith,

I've been a big fan of the Campbells and all things speed record related from being a kid, read all the books around on the subject and have followed K7 since it was found and brought back to the surface. When they do finish her and if they do get the chance to run her on Coniston I will be there.
To say i am looking forward to reading your book is an understatement.

Vince Raia

Postby Vince Raia » September 26th, 2011, 7:53 am

I remember seeing the excellent TV film staring Sir Anthony Hopkins, (wish I had it on DVD) Fascinating subject.

Keith Mitchell

Postby Keith Mitchell » September 26th, 2011, 8:52 am

Paul - that's great; thankyou very much!

Vince - the film was called 'Across the Lake' and Hopkin's portrayal of Campbell was remarkable. It is still possible from time-to-time to pick-up copies on Ebay (that's how I got mine!).

Most will know that the craft is presently being restored to a very high standard up here in the NE by Bill Smith and his team. It is not just a static restoration for placement in the new wing at the Ruskin; it is being restored to operational standard and will be run on Coniston - albeit at limited speeds up to 100mph - when the restoration is complete:
K.

http://www.bluebirdproject.com/bbp/

A low res' copy of one of the many, many magnificent prints contained in the book is shown below:
Attachments
file.jpg
file.jpg (47.88 KiB) Viewed 20525 times

Mike Ellis

Postby Mike Ellis » September 26th, 2011, 11:41 am

Keith

As an avid Campbell fan of 60+ years I would like to reserve a copy of the signed version of the new book . The K7 Bluebird and also Donalds Cars along with all Sir malcom Campbells cars have been a passion of mine all my life.
I still regard Sir Malcom,s 1935 300MPH car, the most beautiful Landspeed car ever built.
I will be going to Gaydon in October, so if you also are going you could bring it to me there, OR ,if you prefer, I will send you a cheque and you can post it to me if thats ok.
Please advise.

Regards

Mike Ellis LMA 652

Keith Mitchell

Postby Keith Mitchell » September 26th, 2011, 12:11 pm

Mike Ellis wrote:Keith

As an avid Campbell fan of 60+ years I would like to reserve a copy of the signed version of the new book . -------
Please advise.

Regards

Mike Ellis LMA 652

Thankyou, Mike. Will PM you.
K.

Paul Holt

Postby Paul Holt » September 27th, 2011, 6:02 am

I did get a copy of Across The Lake on DVD from Ebay. Still an excellent film to watch and after seeing clips of Donald Campbell being interviewed on TV, Anthony Hopkins played the part excellently.

Vince Raia

Postby Vince Raia » September 27th, 2011, 9:34 am

Got to agree with you there Paul, (& Keith) A.H. also did a superb portrayal in the film about the Aussie guy who rode the old Indian motorcycle at Bonnevile salt flats and broke the record, which I think still stands today.

John Greenfield

Postby John Greenfield » September 28th, 2011, 6:50 am

Vince

That film was called "The Last Indian". Great film.

John

Paul Holt

Postby Paul Holt » September 28th, 2011, 4:21 pm

The Worlds Fastest Indian, about Burt Munro. Quality film.

Keith Mitchell

Postby Keith Mitchell » September 28th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Paul Holt wrote:I did get a copy of Across The Lake on DVD from Ebay. Still an excellent film to watch and after seeing clips of Donald Campbell being interviewed on TV, Anthony Hopkins played the part excellently.

Paul - a little point of intrigue. In 'Across the Lake' the final runs on 4.1.67 show Bluebird travelling in the wrong direction.

All photographic and film recording took place from the eastern lakeshore at Coniston so the first north-south run should show Bluebird moving right-left (not left-right) and the return run, left-right (not right-left).

The film has been 'flipped' i.e. it's been reversed on the reels either by accident - or - by design. Apparently, this had not been picked-up until I started my researches a year or two back and my knowledge of the geography around Coniston made me suspicious when viewing the film as it is very different on opposite sides of the lake (which I'm sure you know!).

Another of the mysteries associated with the Campbell story (-- you'll find out more in the book --- ).
K.

Paul Holt

Postby Paul Holt » September 29th, 2011, 5:58 am

i'm ashamed to say i hadn't noticed that Keith, and watched it many times. Will check that out this weekend. And yes i do know Coniston very well.

On another note, have you been following the Quicksilver WSR attempt? They're hoping to run that on Coniston Water.

Mike Ellis

Postby Mike Ellis » September 29th, 2011, 10:20 am

The intriguing thing as TO why She flipped was very well explained on a Discovery programme a few years ago.
Its common knowledge that Bluebirds Orpheus engine was having fuel problems and was prone to cutting out.
When she flipped,there was NO thrust at all SHOWING onto the lake surface,WHEN SHE was in the vertical position, therefore showing that almost certainly the engine had stopped.
She was travelling at about 320 MPH, when the accident happenned, so at that speed and With NO forward thrust to keep her nose down onto the lake, then the bows would almost certainly lifted over the 5 degrees maximum designed angle,that was the calculated maximum permissable in Ken Norris,s design OF BLUEBIRD, before she would have HAD TO take off.

Although its not guaranteed , I cannot help but feel THAT was the cause of the crash . ENGINE FALIURE !!

Keith Mitchell

Postby Keith Mitchell » September 29th, 2011, 11:12 am

----- I think you'll enjoy reading the book, Mike ----!
K.

nickhenderson

Postby nickhenderson » September 29th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Vince,

sorry to nit-pick but Bert Munro was a Kiwi, not an Aussie. By all accounts he was a bit of a wild card. One story goes how when his neighbours complained that his lawns were too long (he was always in the shed building his bike), he replied "No probs mate, ill sort it"
Took a can of petrol, opened it and strolled around the overgrown lawn. Stepped to one side and flicked his cigarette onto the fuel soaked lawn!!! Problem sorted.

Paul Holt

Postby Paul Holt » September 30th, 2011, 6:12 am

Correct on bit accounts, all shown in the film. A very eccentric bloke, but a brave one as well. Bert Munro still holds a record i believe as well.

Vince Raia

Postby Vince Raia » September 30th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Hi Nick, thanks, you are quite right he was a Kiwi, I realised after I had posted but couldn't be bothered to alter the post, I suppose you could call it "Spot the deliberate mistake" I'll buy you a tea at Gaydon :D

RFDavidMorris

Postby RFDavidMorris » October 3rd, 2011, 3:26 pm

Hello Keith I have just ordered a Collectors Copy of the Donald Cambell book via Adrian at the Ruskin Musseum, He will advise me the details on Monday after the Launch.
I met Donald Cammbell when he was a Director of Dowty Turbocraft at Staverton, where I was an apprentice working for Dowty Rotol.
Regards RF David Morris

Keith Mitchell

Postby Keith Mitchell » October 3rd, 2011, 8:57 pm

RFDavidMorris wrote:Hello Keith I have just ordered a Collectors Copy of the Donald Cambell book via Adrian at the Ruskin Musseum, He will advise me the details on Monday after the Launch.
I met Donald Cammbell when he was a Director of Dowty Turbocraft at Staverton, where I was an apprentice working for Dowty Rotol.
Regards RF David Morris

Look forward to hearing your comments on the book, David, and perhaps some day, your reflections on meeting Campbell ----!
Reg's,
Keith
Attachments
PIC 179 .jpg
PIC 179 .jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 19997 times

Return to “The Old Forum Lounge”