Website debate

This is an area for Off Topic Discussions which includes Tony Collins popular Fun Stuff.
Alan Cantwell 1131

Re: Website debate

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » February 20th, 2013, 11:21 am

Trouble is Dave, use of a forum name, instead of your own, can lead to agruments, where the poster hides behind their false name, ;) leave this bit as it is, if we get spats on here, you can pretty soon see who is being a prat,
AND THE SHOUTING THING, crap crap and more crap, they are bloody letters for gawds sake, to the guy who berated you in the can i join email, GET A LIFE YOU SAD GIT, its his loss,
Also, the mention about the over 20k thing, this is for a why join the LMA thread, not a debate about its website content, innit?

just looked through this post, added the word thread, did the grammar a BIT better, but thats it, makes sense to me, and wound up?? not a bit,
Last edited by Alan Cantwell 1131 on February 20th, 2013, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » February 20th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Oh Alan, you do the same as me when you get wound up, you start missing word out because you think you have already typed them. I don't agree with you on the names as the condition is you must register with your real name that doesn't mean it has to be your forum name as it is at the moment.

Things need to change we living in the past here old fuddy duddis as we are beginning to be known as and they are right, we are. What is the point in changing the forum and website if we are going to stay the same. I said in my last post, someone will tell me I am wrong but I didn't say I wasn't going to defend what I said.

Bob, I am glad you AGREE, "now is that loud enough for you" :lol: :lol:

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » February 20th, 2013, 12:28 pm

That's it in a nutshell Alan. Also why would anyone want to hide behind a pseudonym? What a load of old b......s.
We are all part of a community, and I would like to think a fairly close knit one where everyone tries to help everyone else
which is just as it should be. For crying out loud, we are all mates. If you went out for drink with a buddy would you address him as rubber duck, warrior, pilot officer or some other nonsense? of course not. It gets worse for old farts like me to try to remember who the hell that pseudonym belongs to.
If you want to use an avatar as an instant recognition thing fine, no objections.
As far as the very talented members who come on here and spend their time showing us lesser mortals how to do stuff step by step with considerable time effort an patience spent, I can only congratulate them because they are the very lifeblood of this great association, and the fact that that they may have a business which could be helped by their input in this forum I say good luck to them because they deserve it. There are one or two in particular although no names mentioned who to them nothing is too much trouble in responding to even the most mundane query. I'm sure we all know who they are.
In conclusion I've got to say that too much change for change sake is not always a good thing. Very often it can be an improvement for the worse.

PS. This spellchecker donarf werk well dunnit. :lol:

Tony Collins 1073

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » February 20th, 2013, 1:20 pm

Isn't this great, rattling the old sabre doesn't have get members going, Colin, no change is just as bad we have to have medium ground here. I for one give up the 80s look when we where in the 90s and so on. You sound just like the old guard, we don't like change leave thing as they are, this is not Change for change sake it moving into the century we are currently living in even the LMA logo is stuck in the 80s not all change is bad. Now is the time for a fresh new look.

Right I’ve got me tin hat on and the sandbags are filled, “DON’T PANIC” is that shouting too much, I can never tell. :lol: :lol:

Mike Booth

Postby Mike Booth » February 20th, 2013, 1:42 pm

Dave. Keep calm and carry on. :D

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » February 20th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Mike Booth wrote:Dave. Keep calm and carry on. :D

Roger, will do, broadsword. :lol:

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 20th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Oh Alan, you do the same as me when you get wound up, you start missing word out because you think you have already typed them. Actually, thats more senile dementia...... :twisted:

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » February 20th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Bob Thompson1894 wrote:Oh Alan, you do the same as me when you get wound up, you start missing word out because you think you have already typed them. Actually, thats more senile dementia...... :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I like it Ahrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Bill. :lol:

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » February 20th, 2013, 3:14 pm

i read it, made perfect sense, is that scary? i have rearanged what i put, so you lot can understand it betterer than like wot he can

and i wasnt wound up, i was making a point, :roll:

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » February 20th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Dave Parry wrote:Isn't this great, rattling the old sabre doesn't have get members going, Colin, no change is just as bad we have to have medium ground here. I for one give up the 80s look when we where in the 90s and so on. You sound just like the old guard, we don't like change leave thing as they are, this is not Change for change sake it moving into the century we are currently living in even the LMA logo is stuck in the 80s not all change is bad. Now is the time for a fresh new look.

:lol: :lol:

Dave, I am not against change. where did I say did not want change? I simply said too much change for change sake is not always a good thing. As for the old guard bit, well if you look around there are quite a few of us out there.
Anyway who the heck is Colin? If you didn't do such a marvellous job on the forum and website for us all then I'd call you an old fart too, you young whippersnapper :lol:

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » February 20th, 2013, 4:46 pm

Dave, I am not against change. where did I say did not want change? I simply said too much change for change sake is not always a good thing. As for the old guard
bit, well if you look around there are quite a few of us out there.
Anyway who the heck is Colin? If you didn't do such a marvellous job on the forum and website for us all then I'd call you an old fart too, you young whippersnapper :lol:

Senile dementia...... Fred I mean Tony, :lol: Too much change is what I was quoting you on, when did we last have change on here, anyway thanks for the young bit I feel better already.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 20th, 2013, 5:26 pm

The last change was 2008.....

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » February 20th, 2013, 5:49 pm

Bob Thompson1894 wrote:The last change was 2008.....

I assume that was when this forum was created Bob.

Alan Bithrey

Postby Alan Bithrey » February 20th, 2013, 8:34 pm

Tony Collins 1073 wrote:That's it in a nutshell Alan. Also why would anyone want to hide behind a pseudonym? What a load of old b......s.
If you went out for drink with a buddy would you address him as rubber duck, warrior, pilot officer or some other nonsense? of course not.

Which is why when ever I meet up with the great circle of friends I have made at numourous Fly-Ins over the years I'm invariably greeted with

"Aye up Puppers" - it's my nickname and it is used all the time down the pub and at the field.

And this is where the name came from (turn the volume down, video editing isn't my strongest subject!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RhBxrtSb6w&
No prizes offered for the location!

Alan 'Pup Cam' Bithrey

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » February 20th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Alan, you don't hide behind a nickname. It is used in a matey kind of way, not at all the same as hiding behind a pseudonym which is what we are talking about.
Nice flight by the way Puppers. :D

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » February 20th, 2013, 10:30 pm

Okay we can debate this issue forever so let’s just leave it there, I suspect this is something I am going to have to fight for but don’t expect a quick result, I have just as many against it as there is for it, so no movement there then. Are there any more suggestions of what we want on our website and forum.

Denis Brown

Postby Denis Brown » February 20th, 2013, 10:35 pm

Spread the wind of change EAT MORE SPROUTS Then there might be some movement

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » February 21st, 2013, 7:13 am

Denis Brown wrote:Spread the wind of change EAT MORE SPROUTS Then there might be some movement

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh! Sprouter what am I going to do with you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob Johnstone

Postby Bob Johnstone » February 21st, 2013, 2:48 pm

I do not like a post where all capital letters are used, I find it harder to read and make sense of them. I also think I am in the vast majority of internet users, with this opinion. The use of capitals as a short highlight is quite sensible though, as in the standard Forum response Dave gave.

I am fairly well known elsewhere as Flytibroke, only once in a good number of years has that been objected to, and the poster had a lot of response that I certainly was not hiding,,, from a lot of Forum users that knew me. I only use the pen name as it is fairly conventional, and can conceivably give some protection from ill intentioned folk who might less easily find out when I am not at home. Not a high risk I think.

LMA logo,,, well known and readily understandable, I can't see Coco-Cola changing thiers often :lol:

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » February 21st, 2013, 3:17 pm

Hi Bob, I am glad you think it wasn't over the top as I was beginning to get paranoid about it. The forum names is always going to be an issue and is going to be hard to change, i guess we will just have to live it for now. The LMA logo doesn't need changing it just need a face lift I am looking into some possibilities at the moment, nothing set in concrete, coca cola got it right the first time as it never seem to age.

Return to “The Old Forum Lounge”