What is this aircraft please

This is an area for Off Topic Discussions which includes Tony Collins popular Fun Stuff.
Chris Lane

What is this aircraft please

Postby Chris Lane » May 14th, 2013, 6:54 pm

With silence on the raising of the Goodwins Dornier "the only remaining Dornier 17 in the world" I have become intrigued by this photo in my collection. It's one of a series taken on Horse Guards Parade in the 1950's. If it is a Dornier where is it now?
Attachments
AircraftN096rs.jpg
Dornier 17z ?
AircraftN096rs.jpg (59.73 KiB) Viewed 4882 times

Alan Cantwell 1131

Re: What is this aircraft please

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » May 14th, 2013, 7:18 pm

Its a Junkers 88, it COULD be the one thats in Hendon, on this, i am not sure, as for the DO17, its to be raised, and recovered, restoration work will take place at Cosford restoration facility, its structure will be treated with sprays 24/7 to lower the salt content of the structure, its a long process, such a shame that they where all scrapped after the war, someone shold have had the foresight to save 2 of everything, but, war was to be forgotten, so the machines of war had to go, we are lucky to have what we have

the DO17 has now been recovered, i look forward to seeing it, maybe this year? at the LMA AGM back lot tour, SHHH this is a secret, the public dont get to see what we get to see,
Last edited by Alan Cantwell 1131 on July 7th, 2013, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Lane

Postby Chris Lane » May 14th, 2013, 8:57 pm

Many thanks for that Alan. I have these photo's taken by my dad and myself from way back. This little set has a Spitfire, Hurricane, Heinkel 111, Me109 of some description, and this one. All have some kind of spray over the transparencies so they were being preserved at the time. They may date from one of the victory parades of the 1940's or a Battle of Britain day. These aircraft disappeared fast as you know. I was an apprentice at Farnborough 1956-61 and the dump still had many of the captured enemy aircraft from WW2 which were quickly disposed of. From the early SBAC shows at Radlett I have pictures of Sea Hornet, Fairey Barracuda and Firefly - all gone now. There was a Wellington wing mounted vertically in a bomb site in London for a while with an electric motor turning the propellor - impressive, iconic, phallic. . . .

Never mind; there are F4U's and Spitfires to model as well as all the look-alike CAP/Zlin/Sukhoys. (Dad flew Bulldog/Nimrod/Gauntlet/Henley!)

Chris Lane

Postby Chris Lane » May 17th, 2013, 6:02 am

I have now found other photos of these aircraft on the web which identifies them as 1954 Battle of Britain displays.

Return to “The Old Forum Lounge”