Dave Tappin

This is an area for Off Topic Discussions which includes Tony Collins popular Fun Stuff.
chris poyser

Dave Tappin

Postby chris poyser » March 11th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Hi all

i know a good few of you out there know Dave so it saddens me to have to report that Dave passed away a few days ago, he was a founder member of Dawn Patrol and will be missed, i only knew Dave through DP but i do know he has had a huge impact in the past on moddeling and is known by many,
we have no other details as yet and will pass them on as and when we do

RiP dave

chris poyser member no 2010

John Evans

Re: Dave Tappin

Postby John Evans » March 11th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Will always remember Dave and will miss him. Lots of good times at Elvington over the years, and Rufforth.
RIP mate

paul hughes

Postby paul hughes » March 11th, 2017, 6:58 pm

very sad news, his knowledge and enthusiasm for the golden era racers was second to none.

Tony Fagan

Postby Tony Fagan » March 11th, 2017, 8:08 pm

So sorry to hear of the passing of Dave Tappin, a true aviation enthusiast and and gentleman.

Mike Ellis

Postby Mike Ellis » March 11th, 2017, 10:30 pm

Very sad news. I have known Dave nearly 30 years and he really was a very nice man and an excellent modeller. Always chatty and very knowledgable on all types of aircraft. RIP my friend.

Glenn Masters

Postby Glenn Masters » March 11th, 2017, 11:10 pm

This is really sad news . . . Dave was a true race rat and was an inspiration with his drive and enthusiasm. He would bring the racing to life whenever he commentated for us in the Gee Bee team. He will be missed.

Dave Hayfield

Postby Dave Hayfield » March 11th, 2017, 11:38 pm

I've known Dave for more years than I care to remember. I was involved in a show with him at Ripley Castle a long time ago and he suggested we meet in Betty's Cafe in Harrogate. I was looking for something like a transport cafe but was amazed that Betty's was like something out of a 1930's movie, very upmarket complete with a pianist to accompany us while we sipped our Earl Grey and sampled the cream cakes. He was an absolute mine of information about the subject he loved, early aviation, thus the Dawn Patrol. He could recall the names of pilots, the type and detail of what they flew and was fascinating to listen to when commentating at shows. This is a fellow modeller who will be sorely missed.
Thanet Model Flying Club
LMA 520

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » March 12th, 2017, 8:14 am

If there was a book to be written about just the aviation knowledge Dave possesed, it would be large, and thick, R.I.P Dave, one of the hobbys true fountains of knowledge, sad loss

Peter Siggins

Postby Peter Siggins » March 12th, 2017, 9:18 am

Very sad news indeed - the passing of a true aviation enthusiast - R.I.P. Dave.

Keith Mitchell

Postby Keith Mitchell » March 12th, 2017, 2:54 pm

I am sorry to learn of Dave's passing. Enigmatic, exasperating but always entertaining, I had a soft spot for Dave and enjoyed many happy times with him either in conversation or on commentary at shows up and down the country.

I owe it to him for the opportunity in the early 90's to write the large model column in RCM&E, which he could no longer continue to fulfil due to other commitments.

In his own way he did an immense amount for modelling in general and, of course, at the Elvington Shows which raised much money for the Yorkshire Air Museum as well as giving the LMA the opportunity to display alongside the full size programme.

His knowledge of Edwardian and WWI aviation was peerless and his drive and ambition culminated in the highly successful Dawn Patrol. I do hope - as he surely would - that one of the team take up the mantle so that it remains a living testimony to his contribution to model aviation...

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » March 12th, 2017, 3:01 pm

I have known Dave only a few years, never met anyone as enthusiastic as him. Dawn Patrol was his dream which turn into a reality for him in the end.

RIP Dave, I am sure you are up there chatting to them WWI ACE pilots already.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » March 13th, 2017, 8:27 am

First time I came across Dave was at Rolls -Royce one year, where people had plied him with so much alcohol he was hanging on to the marquee tentpole for dear life! Had many a chat with him since, one of the most enthusiastic guys I have ever met. RIP Dave, we'll miss your commentary for the Gee Bees.

Mark Kennedy

Postby Mark Kennedy » March 13th, 2017, 3:25 pm

Hello to the LMA

On behalf of the Tappin family can I thank you all for your kind words and fond memories of David, any more post contributions with memories of David would be much appreciated by the family at this difficult time. The funeral is likely to place next week on either Tuesday 21st or Wednesday 22nd March and I will update the forum once details are confirmed but we are hoping for a massive turnout for David who contributed so much to the world of modelling, biking and of course his family. Any one wanting to make contact can speak directly with Miles his youngest son. 07779 339475. Mark Kennedy (David's son in law)

ken dallow

Postby ken dallow » March 14th, 2017, 5:41 pm

It was the mid 60`s, when I lived and worked in Knaresborough, that I became friends with Dave. And now he has gone. I am very sad and feel that a part of me has gone also. Thanks for all the good times mate and rest in peace.

My sincerest condolences to all the family in their sad loss.

Ken Dallow.

miles tappin

Postby miles tappin » March 14th, 2017, 6:52 pm

The funeral is to place next week on Wednesday 22nd March at 3pm Stonefall Cemetry, Wetherby Road Harrogate with the wake at Square and Compass, North Rigton. I know he had a huge circle of friends gained over many decades with the passion for his hobbies but all I have is a tatty old notebook with no apparent organization of names – how he ever made contact is a miracle in itself!

So please try your best to attend and spread the word to those who knew him well

Anyone wanting to make contact can speak directly with me - Miles Tappin his youngest son. 07779 339475.

ian redshaw

Postby ian redshaw » March 14th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Sad news indeed, but Dave will have found true peace now. His knowledge of the subjects he was interested in was unsurpassed, and his undoubted enthusiasm and infuriating stubbornness could be astounding!! Over the many years of friendship I have some fabulous memories that I'll hold close, plus some that I'd rather forget, but that was the very nature of the man, a character that was one of the most outwardly charismatic personalites I've ever met, he could get his way with almost anyone in one way or another. Thanks for the friendship and the memories which I'll hold close, though I expect the late great Ken Hart will be waterproofing his heavenly boots when he hears you're on your way!

Rest in Peace David Tappin Esq.

Pat Cuss

Postby Pat Cuss » March 15th, 2017, 9:26 am

From all of the 'West Country Gang' part of Dawn Patrol.
Nick,
Mikey,
Andy,
Carlos,
Pete,
Roy,
Pat.
Dave was a true friend to us all and will be sadly missed by all, he inspired us and was a wealth of WW1 information.
We will remember him for his wit and dedication, his humour and loyalty. Rest in Peace old friend.

Cary Bailey

Postby Cary Bailey » March 15th, 2017, 12:07 pm

Life has it's finalities whether they be sooner or later. I have not known Dave that long and only briefly when at the various shows with the Dawn Patrol guys, however from my time talking to Dave he was in many ways a gentle chap, filled with adventure but also quiet in his response, knowledgeable in his art forms but humble in his attitude, boisterous in his want of speed and flight but respectful of that danger of the pursuit! I will miss him but I know he will be amongst the pilots when the aircraft are in the blue skies!
Thankyou Dave, rest easy and peacefully.
Cary

chris poyser

Postby chris poyser » March 15th, 2017, 7:52 pm

i feel that there will be many and long reminisces of the "Tap" over the coming season, there are stories that will make you laugh till you cry, but what we have lost forever are the stories he told, of the people he met and interviewed, his passion for WW1 was boundless to the point of obsession, his knowledge of aviation from its inception through to WW2 seemed endless,
i only knew Dave a few short years and feel that there was much more of the man i never got to know. he made an impression on many many people that will not fade, and a space that will never be filled,

Dave wherever your new journey takes you i hope you meet some lost friends along the way,

to all who knew him for far longer than I, to his family and friends my sincere condolences,

Chris

i fear our flightlines may never be straight again

Peter Coxon

Postby Peter Coxon » March 16th, 2017, 12:24 am

such sad news, I barely knew dave and first met him briefly at cosford 2012 when deano and I started filming the lma shows, over the next four years I sat and spoke to him as much as I could when I had breaks between filming and was enthralled at his wealth of knowledge of aviation matters, he had a very calming air about him and this made you want to listen to his stories and experiences and several times I pleaded with him to write a book of his many exploits and experiences but he would laugh it off saying who would want to read a book about him!
very saddened by this news and will miss picking his brains on his past memories,
rip dave - condolences to his family,

sadly missed - pete & deano
subscribe to TBOBBORAP1 on youtube for regular rc aircraft show updates
youtube- https://www.youtube.com/user/tbobborap1
facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tbobbora ... 14?fref=ts
Father and son team that film the major rc model shows in the uk

Return to “The Old Forum Lounge”