Frsky-2.4GHz-conversion

The latest information and advice on installing and using 2.4 Ghz systems in over 20 Kg model aircraft
Tony Collins 1073

Frsky-2.4GHz-conversion

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » August 1st, 2010, 9:30 pm

I would appreciate comments and advice on this Frsky-24ghz-conversion. Having read through everything and watched the video I am still undecided as it seems so good, almost too good.

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/frsky-24ghz-c ... 05206.html

Simon Willey

Re: Frsky-2.4GHz-conversion

Postby Simon Willey » August 2nd, 2010, 6:10 am

I have been using this system since it first arrived in the Uk.
I initially bought the module to fit in the Futaba FF9 and a couple of 8 ch RXs.
After clocking up about 100 flights I bought some more RXs.
Somewhere around 250 flights I had a TX module failure. This failed one day as I turned the TX on.
GC replaced the module without any issues and Frsky themselves said it was a Capacitor failure of which they had had other unites fail with the same component.
I have since read of others having the same problem.
This component has been changed in the second batch of unites which also has a better antenna mounting system allowing it to fit in the gap between the case and the carrying handle.
Since I have been using the new TX module I have had no further issues.
The biggest model I have the system fitted to is a 45cc petrol powered model. I have also got it in a 4mtr glider which we have flown to maximum visible range again with no issues.
It has fail safe on all channels which is a great bonus and if you preform a fail safe check it re-establish's the link much faster than my JR/Spektrum system.
I would recommend the system on the results I have had with it to anyone. Yes I did have the initial TX module problem but then I also had problems with some Spektrum RXs.
There is a thread on RCMF I started some time ago about this system, it is still running with others findings as well

Simon
The Dawn Patrol
LMA No 3109

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » August 2nd, 2010, 7:49 am

Thanks for the detailed reply Simon.

This product appears to be very competitively priced and my main objection to the other 2.4GHz radios was lack of any position failsafe on all channels. This one would seem to tick all the boxes.
If anyone else has knowledge on the FrSky radio I would be very interested to hear. Thanks again.

Simon Willey

Postby Simon Willey » August 2nd, 2010, 5:05 pm

Tony Collins 1073 wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply Simon.

This product appears to be very competitively priced and my main objection to the other 2.4GHz radios was lack of any position failsafe on all channels. This one would seem to tick all the boxes.
If anyone else has knowledge on the FrSky radio I would be very interested to hear. Thanks again.

Spektrum will fail safe to all channels if you use AR7000 and above

Simon
The Dawn Patrol
LMA No 3109

Simon Willey

Postby Simon Willey » December 5th, 2010, 10:24 pm

Just thought I would update this a bit.

All my models are now flying on this system and all I can say about it is good.
The biggest model I have is my 1/3rd scale pup which has a Zenoah 80 twin in it. It has been using the Frsky system for the last 3 or 4 months . I have fitted the Tx module to my Zap 9 WC2 tx now and this has provided me with everything I want. I no longer have any JR/ Spektrum gear.
I also have a 90" Extra using some power hungry JR servos and this again is no problem. A 5 cell sub C battery pack with a pair of switches is the power source.
The system is rock solid and I have not had a single incident of any description since my new module.
Just about to order a couple of new RX's for the 30% tiger moth as that's needing servos setting up and a 4.5 Mtr glider for towing.
Hope that is some encouragement to others thinking of trying it. Many of my fellow club flyers have now gone over to this system.

Simon
The Dawn Patrol
LMA No 3109

John Greenfield

Postby John Greenfield » December 6th, 2010, 7:43 am

Here is a bit of reading for you all.

I've been recommended to look at a very interesting website for Aeromodellers, and it does have some excellent articles on it. At the moment there are stories on how to recognise fake Futaba servos and 2.4 Ghz radio sets that don't work, also a good explanation of why there is no compatibility between various manufacturers 2.4 Ghz systems. If you are interested give it a try at www.rcmodelreviews.com

John

Simon Willey

Postby Simon Willey » December 6th, 2010, 8:41 pm

The Dawn Patrol
LMA No 3109

Chris Hurst

Postby Chris Hurst » March 31st, 2011, 6:57 am

I was wondering how your FrSky setups were performing a few months on?

I have also been experimenting whilst considering which 2.4 system to adopt. My current thinking is Futaba for my better models and FrSky in more "disposable" bits of fun and my rather basic slope soarers which get flown a couple of times a year!

So far I can't fault the operation of the FrSky stuff (and certainly can't fault the price) but I have identified two areas of concern.......

I managed to damage my transmitter module on first insertion. I'n not normally clumsy and didn't use much force but the pins pushed the plastic part of the module's socket off the PCB pulling one of the connections with it! OK, it was an easy fix and it now works fine but the surface mounted socket is totally unsupported and looks of poor quality compared to a Futaba 35 MHz module (I've not seen inside their 2.4 offering). I would be very unhappy indeed about inserting and removing this on a regular basis.

Secondly, on the non-telemetry module, it is FAR TOO EASY to leave it in range check mode by mistake! For those that don't know, to range check you push a button on the back for about three seconds. The transmitter then reduces to one hundredth of its power and STAYS IN THIS MODE until you either push the button again or switch off and on again. The ONLY indication is a normally red LED on the back of the module which goes GREEN in low power mode! To me, this is one of the most stupid pieces of design I've ever encountered and yes, I've made the predictable mistake! I'm told the module with telemetry bleeps all the time it is in range check.

Finally, for a £12 bit of fun I've bought one of the so called "hack" modules and fitted this internally in a old Field Force 6. Although I'm 100% confident I've done this properly and have no doubt it is far safer than the plug in module for the reasons I've described this seems to get some people very worked up.

Can anybody clarify, for certain, what the official view is? Currently I'm only using it to fly a small heli in my back garden!

Thanks

Chris
Last edited by Chris Hurst on March 31st, 2011, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

frederick barlow

Postby frederick barlow » March 31st, 2011, 11:25 am

i have little experience with this system but my little brother is using both the telemetry and normal modules in 4 transmiters both jr ans futaba the main problem we have had is the reciever airiels falling off at the end of the connector to the pcb on the early ones but the newer ones have some support,
iv been using the assan system for 4 years now with out a fault in everything from epp electric aerobats to my flair hanibal. in my mind these cheaper systems are as good or better than the big name brands also iv not heard of many product recalls for frsky, corona and none for assan which says alot.
from what i gather from the reaction when people with the early spectrums put the coxaial cable inside the transmitter the hak modules will be fround upon because the unknown is how well the module has been installed. im waiting for the systems that use the trainer port for the ppm signal and power which means your not modifying the transmiter but saying that iv seen on several forums threads on successful hak installs that have been done world wide.

Chris Hurst

Postby Chris Hurst » March 31st, 2011, 11:32 am

frederick barlow wrote: im waiting for the systems that use the trainer port for the ppm signal and power which means your not modifying the transmiter but saying that iv seen on several forums threads on successful hak installs that have been done world wide.

You can't simply run the current FrSky "hack" from a Futaba trainer socket as the power supply is protected by a resistor. This causes the voltage on the module to fluctuate (with anything other than a freshly charged battery at least) causing a slight servo jitter.

PPM from the trainer socket and power from the main switch is fine.

It may well be they could re-design the module to work at a lower voltage.......

Chris

frederick barlow

Postby frederick barlow » March 31st, 2011, 11:50 am

im not sure iv read on a forum that frsky were planning to produce one i know assan are producing one but no one imports it into the uk same with there hak module.
i think the thing to do is wait and see what comes out from all the manufacturers because im not sure if the haks are completely legal because iv not seen a futaba, spectrum, jr, hitec, multiplex, sanwa hak module yet but i could be wrong

Simon Willey

Postby Simon Willey » March 31st, 2011, 4:42 pm

Chris Hurst wrote:I was wondering how your FrSky setups were performing a few months on?

My set ups so far are 100% reliable. Been using it since the big fish imported it first. Used it on small electric first.
I have a plug in module in an old FF7 super which I use for the Greenly glider tug and I also have a matching Tx to go with it that I use as a Buddy set up.
I have a Plug in module in my 9ZapWC2 Tx . I use this to fly all my other models bar one , that includes all my third scale stuff up to 80cc
In my 3rd Tx which is a new 10FG I have a 2 way module . This is set up on my 30% tiger moth at the moment.
The plan is to buy more two way RX's and move them over to this TX which is new as opposed to my Zap which is a few years old now.
I have had 100% success with it . I obey by a very strict set of rules I set for myself and I have not looked back since committing to it.
I feel that if you take off in range check mode then you have not given much thought to whats going on, and poor pre flight checks. Might sound harsh but thats the way I see it.
I am in no way saying its the best system out there but I have made it work for me.
I am not sure on my thoughts of fitting Hack models. If done properly then they are fine , but there's always the but. I have fitted a couple for club members who were not able to do it , but I can see how it could all go wrong.
Any how have fun ,lots of flying and enjoy yourself.

Simon
The Dawn Patrol
LMA No 3109

Chris Hurst

Postby Chris Hurst » March 31st, 2011, 5:17 pm

Simon Willey wrote:
Chris Hurst wrote:I was wondering how your FrSky setups were performing a few months on?

I feel that if you take off in range check mode then you have not given much thought to whats going on, and poor pre flight checks. Might sound harsh but thats the way I see it.

Yes, you are right of course!

What makes it worse is that this was a small, rough model just being used just to test the FrSky stuff. Several people were looking at the setup with interest and we had discussed the stupidity (as I see it) of the design that locked range check mode on without any audible warning. With 35 MHz you can see at a glance if your aerial is up down but this has nothing visible without turning the transmitter over.

I remember when I used to fly full sized gliders. Moving on to more advanced single seaters with retractable undercarriage a very experienced instructor said to me "There are two classes of pilot, those who have landed wheel up and those that will"! Actually, I never did!

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » April 4th, 2011, 12:09 am

Hi Chris. I'm back in action after a spell in dock. I can only comment as I find with the Frsky radio. I did a lot of research before taking the plunge and all came back as a being a 2.4 set in the upper bracket performance wise. My use so far finds it to be as good as the reviews. I have just recently bought an excellent FF9 super transmitter which came equipped with a Futaba 7 channel 2.4 module. As I am happy with the Frsky and have got a few receivers, I see no reason to change, thats the confidence that I have in it. Looks like I have one redundant futaba module. Have just been on to Giantcod for another receiver and guess what, they are out of stock again. They are selling as soon as they arrive apparently.

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » April 4th, 2011, 12:13 pm

I have only one reservation with Frsky and that is it has not been field tested to destruction by modeller like Spectrum and Futaba, we now know 90% of their faults, and know what to do to solve them, I don’t feel Frsky has been put through its paces enough to justify it on a large model, this is just my onion I might add, and not a fact. :geek:

Shaun Gilbert

Postby Shaun Gilbert » November 15th, 2011, 11:17 am

I have been using this system in my FF9 since Simon recomended it and not looked back since. EVERYTHING I have is now flown on the FrSky from little delta RAfalroo to 1/3rd scale Sopwith Pup no issues at all. If there were any improovments to be made it would be an audio warning when it's in range check mode which I would have thought would be an easy hack?

owen hillis

Postby owen hillis » February 23rd, 2012, 11:32 pm

have been using frsky 2.4 in all my models its been great so far no flauts i give it %100 at frist i thought was to good to be true cause of price being so low but works fine with my ff9 i sold all my other gear to buy frsky and had money over. my models range from a 55cc cesnna to vario bell 212 9 models in total .

Seamus O'Donnell

Postby Seamus O'Donnell » December 2nd, 2012, 1:49 pm

Just an update on anyone that might be looking at this system, I have now been flying with a 2 way frsky module now in a JR 9XII for about two years and have found it to be excellent, I am gradually moving all my aircraft over to Frsky, presently flying it on a 1/4scale petrol spacewalker, numerous sport & scale .40-1.20 size glow models and also now my turbine Jets.
Only downside is only 8ch at the moment but I believe there is 12 and 16ch coming out soon.

The telemetry is fantastic I use the RX voltage monitoring in all the models plus ign battery in the petrol planes and ECU battery voltage in my Jet. You can set the alarms to what you want and also display them on a simple plug in screen.
Being a dedicated JR user for 30 yrs I am very impressed with this system.

Dave Hayfield

Postby Dave Hayfield » December 3rd, 2012, 5:16 pm

Using FrSky conversion in my very old Multiplex TX and have been for a while now. No probs at all except that the tx has a metal back and the small aerial was screened at times. Have fitted a 6db gain 2.4 aerial which is twice the length and all is well. See 'New wine in old bottles' on General discussion for September with pics of conversion.
Thanet Model Flying Club
LMA 520

Kevin Routledge

Postby Kevin Routledge » April 6th, 2013, 10:03 am

I have been using the FrSky Futaba conversion for a couple of years now, and am so impressed with it that I have now converted my entire "string" of models (total 25) to this system, including several 1/4 scale models and glider tugs.
I have never had a single glitch with any model, but in the larger models I play safe by utilising a unique (?) property of these receivers:- I fit two receivers in parallel with split controls. The receivers, unlike Spektrum and others, I am told, work perfectly well in parallel, and provide that extra bit of confidence when flying an expensive model........

Return to “2.4 Ghz and Large Models”