Which 2.4?

The latest information and advice on installing and using 2.4 Ghz systems in over 20 Kg model aircraft
Barry Bennett

Which 2.4?

Postby Barry Bennett » January 28th, 2011, 4:43 pm

About to buy my first 2.4 gear.Just wondering if there is a predominance of a particular make used by LMA members,or is there no particular favorite make.To answere my question would probably reqire a survey.
Thanks.
Last edited by Barry Bennett on January 29th, 2011, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Thompson1894

Re: Which 2.4?

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 28th, 2011, 5:11 pm

with a fringe on top......

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » January 28th, 2011, 8:03 pm

lots use JR/spekky and futaba, others have their merits, and i am sure you will here many differant variants, but for me, its the DX9, only thing is, i would have liked the DX12, but could not justify the expense, i was a dedicated futaba user, but did not like the look of the trannys, so i looked at the JR offerings, first thing i noticed was the wide range of decent priced recievers, and the abilty to extend the pick up range with a satellite, i run one AN AR7000 in a large scale great planes corsair, its range low down is superb, the satelite is on an extension lead, and is down the back end of the fuzz, the tranny is art form, easy to program for the basics, i havnt ried mixers yet, but expect no bother, the AR7000 is going to be replaced by the AR 9000, which has full fail safe setting on all functions, the 7000, as most of the spekky range, is only setable on the throttle, i like it very much, and will continue to expand the amount of gear i have with this system,

the futaba uses the FasSt system, i am sure someone will be along to explain the differance between the DSM2, and the Fasst

Denis Brown

Postby Denis Brown » January 29th, 2011, 12:07 am

Bob Thompson1894 wrote:with a fringe on top......

Very funny ochlay :lol:

Barry Bennett

Postby Barry Bennett » January 29th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Thanks Alan, I'm leaning towards DX8 at the moment.

Andy Boylett

Postby Andy Boylett » January 29th, 2011, 3:21 pm

Hi Barry,
Myself and my son Sam have approx 40 planes, all with Spektrum 2.4 receivers. We fly everything from indoor to very large. For transitters we have a Spektrum Dx6i and two Futaba 9c's with the spektrum 2.4 module. Also, I am just buying a DSX9 now (as it works with all the Spektrum receivers).

Spektrum is fanastic gear and we have no issues with control at all. However, the Spektrum transmitters do not have same 'feel' to them as the 9c and the JR DSX9. I think the 'feel' may be a very personal thing but we have looked at the DX8 but again it does not 'feel' good. Also, the functionallity of the DSX9 and the 9c are hard to beat......well, actually, I have never found something they cannot do!....apart from being a fridge Bob.

Barry Bennett

Postby Barry Bennett » January 29th, 2011, 4:36 pm

Andy Boylett wrote:Hi Barry,
Myself and my son Sam have approx 40 planes, all with Spektrum 2.4 receivers. We fly everything from indoor to very large. For transitters we have a Spektrum Dx6i and two Futaba 9c's with the spektrum 2.4 module. Also, I am just buying a DSX9 now (as it works with all the Spektrum receivers).

Spektrum is fanastic gear and we have no issues with control at all. However, the Spektrum transmitters do not have same 'feel' to them as the 9c and the JR DSX9. I think the 'feel' may be a very personal thing but we have looked at the DX8 but again it does not 'feel' good. Also, the functionallity of the DSX9 and the 9c are hard to beat......well, actually, I have never found something they cannot do!....apart from being a fridge Bob.

Thanks Andy, I take it you refere to the physical handling of the Tx, I could ''go compare'' in the local model shop and handle the various Dx's,thanks.

Andy Boylett

Postby Andy Boylett » January 29th, 2011, 6:33 pm

Barry,
Yes, I was refferring to the way the transmitter feels in your hands, but also how the stick movement feels - all just personal preference. I would definately have a feel of them before choosing.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 29th, 2011, 7:26 pm

Andy Boylett wrote:Hi Barry,

err- think that was reference to Barry's finger trouble- a 'surey' with a fringe on top.......(you have to remember the old musicals for that one) now, a Tx with a fridge- interesting idea, if you could fit a couple of tinnies in it for those lovely summer days which are fast approaching.... :lol:

Andy Boylett

Postby Andy Boylett » January 30th, 2011, 12:12 am

:) :)

John Evans

Postby John Evans » January 30th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Hi Barry
Just purchased the futaba 2.4 8 channel module to fit my existing Zap with 2 eight channel and 1 seven channel reciever. Cannot see point in buying all new gear when the equipment I have works perfectly well. Will let you know how I get on with it.
Regards
john Evans

Barry Bennett

Postby Barry Bennett » January 31st, 2011, 9:55 am

John Evans wrote:Hi Barry
Just purchased the futaba 2.4 8 channel module to fit my existing Zap with 2 eight channel and 1 seven channel reciever. Cannot see point in buying all new gear when the equipment I have works perfectly well. Will let you know how I get on with it.
Regards
john Evans

Thanks John, keep me informed, I'm in no rush as a bit cold for flying yet.See you.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 31st, 2011, 10:34 pm

in no rush to get to tonights committee meeting, either! Alzeimers got you, Baz?

Return to “2.4 Ghz and Large Models”