Lawn Mower Wanted

Post your sales or wanted list here
DAVE JOHNSON

Lawn Mower Wanted

Postby DAVE JOHNSON » November 3rd, 2018, 7:31 pm

The LMA north west flying site is in need of a newer grasscutter/Lawntractor --at least 40" cut---needs to be in good condition----what have you?? or does anyone know of good reliable dealers they would recommend-----

steve stuttard

Re: Lawn Mower Wanted

Postby steve stuttard » November 3rd, 2018, 8:58 pm

we could buy some sheep Dave , save on petrol ,,,, ill get me coat :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ken Roddham

Postby Ken Roddham » November 3rd, 2018, 11:28 pm

We bought our Ransomes machine from https://www.grassmowingworld.co.uk/
Rob Glendinning is the owner robert@grassmowingworld.co.uk
First-class company in Clitheroe, Lancashire who sell various 2nd-hand fully overhauled machines.
Ken

stuart knowles 1611

Postby stuart knowles 1611 » November 4th, 2018, 12:01 am

I would suggest that a ride on Lawn Tractor is intended for large gardens and not the areas of grass that most flying fields contend with.

I don't know the details of this machine :- eBay item number: 143000035236

but I have had two identical machines, (still have one) These were commercial grass cutting machines in the 70 and 80's. They are simple technology, Chains and sprockets, V belts, designed and built to be maintained by hand tools and a bit of gumption. If I remember correctly 84" cut, spreads the clippings evenly and just works year in year out. They were designed and intended for use on grass measured in acres.

I have now changed over to a hydraulic powered mower , similar cut width, which cost a whole lot more and does the job no better and if a hydraulic pump or motor fails, there is no option but to replace the unit. I have kept one Motor Triple as a spare machine because it worth way more to me as a spare machine than the few hundred I would get for it. If I had known then what I know now, I would have stayed with 2 x Motor Triples and money in the bank

Another option is to buy a tractor mounted rotary cutter which will cost around £1000 new and seek out an owner of a vintage / classic tractor or local farmer who might welcome the opportunity to 'play' with his machine for back pocket money. Cut widths are usually 72"

This last year our field has been cut using this method.

David Brown

Postby David Brown » November 4th, 2018, 9:16 am

We have 2 spare ransomed triple gang hydraulic mowers spare, you would need a small tractor with a pro tp drive them

DAVE JOHNSON

Postby DAVE JOHNSON » November 4th, 2018, 9:19 am

Thanks for the comments---some food for thought there-----

Peter Siggins

Postby Peter Siggins » November 4th, 2018, 9:31 am

Hi Dave I just typed a reply which has disappeared somewhere - I used to deal in professional and garden machinery and Stuart is spot on that a small triple is far better than a domestic ride-on.

Two spring to mind - Allen National and Saxon triple - both look a bit heath Robinson but work really well and were used by many golf clubs.

I have lost most of my contacts but there is a guy in Tarporley Cheshire who deals in this sort of gear and is very fair with his prices.

His name is Andy Tel no. 01829 33432 he’s worth a call

Hope this helps

Pete

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » November 4th, 2018, 12:42 pm

I also vote for a National 68, they can be found on ebay from £150 upwards, our club has 2 of them and they are very cheap to maintain as they are belt drive with no hyperbollocks, just 26 grease nipples that need lubricating a few times a year :)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NATIONAL-RIDE-ON-LAWN-MOWER-68-TRIPLE/192707254451?hash=item2cde3f58b3:g:1UYAAOSwoVZb2L7P:rk:1:pf:0

Return to “For Sale or Wanted”