Wanted Saito FG 84 or 90 radial (NOW SORTED)

Post your sales or wanted list here
Dave Demott

Wanted Saito FG 84 or 90 radial (NOW SORTED)

Postby Dave Demott » May 4th, 2020, 11:03 am

I am trying to source a good second hand Saito radial, ideally with a collector ring.
Cash is waiting.
Please call or message me on 07843 414857
Thanks
Last edited by Dave Demott on June 6th, 2020, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Cantwell 1131

Re: Wanted Saito FG 84 or 90 radial

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » May 4th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Do some homework Dave,seems there’s problems with the 84,

Charlie Cox

Postby Charlie Cox » May 5th, 2020, 8:36 am

I don't want to start an argument Alan, however, I would like to say:
I have run two 84's, and know of at least four others that have run perfectly out of the box.
I have read some of the bad press, both over the pond and in the UK and I cannot understand for the life of me what the problem is?
Are Saito really likely to produce a motor that doesn't (Allegedly) work?
There are various writings about the 60 radial as well, (Funnily enough from the same sources) I am running my second 60, well I would if I were allowed out, but have never come across a problem, in fact I find it a 100% reliable, very powerful engine.

Charlie

martinfairchild

Postby martinfairchild » May 5th, 2020, 10:24 am

Hi Alan & Dave

As Charlie as stated above, I have also in many years of flying owned and operated many of the Saito petrol and glow engines, including FG84's FG57's FG60's FG33's FG30's FG40's and have never had a single issue with any of them, not my opinion but fact.

What I will say, is that over the years, I have spoken with several individuals having supposed issues, only to conclude the issue is the owner not understanding how to correctly operate / tune / set-up the engine in question.

Martin

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » May 5th, 2020, 11:33 am

No argument here guys, it’s a my uncles sons wife’s brothers got one, and he says,——— It’s nice to know that it’s a myth, many thanks,

John McNamara

Postby John McNamara » May 9th, 2020, 12:08 pm

Hi Guys,
Apologies for butting in on this thread since I am not hear to either buy or sell, nor to profer an opinion. I own an FG60, as yet unrun. I too had heard of problems and I have been advised to send it to a well known UK engine retailer, to have it "doctored".
A club mate had one of the originals engines and that blew up, loosing cylinder. Since then I have pondered the wisdom of my purchase, not wishing to see the engine reduced to scrap, but reluctant to spend circa £400 for a remedy it should not need. I seem to be reading "do not worry and carry on". Martin and Charlie,since I have a Sist 1/5 scale FW190 awaiting this engines fitting, do you have any advice for me please?
TIA,
John.

stuart knowles 1611

Postby stuart knowles 1611 » May 9th, 2020, 4:11 pm

As I understand it, the early engines did have a tendency to crack around the base of the cylinder and later engines used a thicker casting.
I too faced the same dilemma that you mention. There's a very long thread on rc groups about this engine which gives more background than anyone could need.
I e-mailed Brian Winch shortly before he died and his advice was leave it as is and just run it.
I spoke to the engine retailer that you mention and asked his take on the engine.

In the end, partly because I bought my engine s/h but unrun because I had saved a few bob I went for the timing and intake mods before running it. I thought that the Saito engine timing made no sense at all and that the thinking behind the intake mods made a lot of sense in my mind so I jumped with both feet and have not had any cause to regret doing so. The engine runs as sweet as a nut.

Would it have done so if I had left it as stock. I'll never know but I'll say probably.

I will agree with you that its a dilemma that anyone owning this engine should not be faced with.

Charlie Cox

Postby Charlie Cox » May 9th, 2020, 6:28 pm

Hi John and Stuart,

I am no Saito expert, and would never profess to being one, however, I offer the following.

I had one of the first 60's sold in the UK. I fitted it to a Seagull Lysander, which was a perfect combination.
It was run at 17:1 on a fully synthetic two stroke oil and was run in for an hour on the ground before flying.
It worked perfectly, for about two to three hours flying, then, I'll not lie, a cylinder casing broke at the bottom casting.
Once we pulled the engine out, it was very obvious that the bolts holding the casing to the crankcase had loosened and the casing cracked and broke.
It was at the distributor on the Tuesday, (Broke on Sunday) and was in Japan by the end of the week. In the meantime, I had taken recipe of another engine.
It was the case at that time that there were three cases of the same in the US. The next week, Saito acknowledged that the securing bolts had little, or no thread lock on them and changed their processes there an then. I pulled the bolts out on my replacement engine, knowing it was an early one and thread locked them myself. One at a time I should add.
I never looked back, it ran perfectly for the next two years straight out of the box.
I sold it about a year ago, but I now have the engine back and its fitted to a TF FW190.
In the mealtime, we have had four others in our club. each one has been run in properly then flown and they just work, as you would hope with a Saito engine.
I have run an 84 as well, as have several of my flying buddies, and all have worked perfectly once run in and set up properly. No one has needed any modifications and they are all great, powerful great sounding units.
I know that in certain circles it is spouted that these engines will not run properly until they have has XYZ done to them.
Sorry, but in opinion, that's absolute rubbish.

So, in my opinion, fit and fly, oh, and I have baffles all mine as we all have to make sure they are cooled properly.

Hope that helps

Charlie

John McNamara

Postby John McNamara » May 10th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Stuart and Charlie,
Thank you both for your input. I will be fitting a close fitting baffle. Mine is a later engine with strengthened cylinder casing at the base. I think I will run this engine in and install it and see how things go.
Dave, sincere apologies for stealing your thread. I will go away now. Happy hunting.

John

Charlie Cox

Postby Charlie Cox » June 3rd, 2020, 2:45 pm

Here you go John,

As it comes out of the box. Big thank you to Mick Wass for filming. (I didn't actually know he was doing it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d61nYigGWvc

Charlie

John McNamara

Postby John McNamara » June 6th, 2020, 9:07 am

Thanks Charlie, that goes well.How much does it weigh? I have the 1:5 scale SiSt model and it seems a bit meatly.
John

Charlie Cox

Postby Charlie Cox » June 6th, 2020, 12:12 pm

Hi John,

Came in at 24lbs with no fuel.

Charlie

Dave Demott

Re: Wanted Saito FG 84 or 90 radial (NOW SORTED)

Postby Dave Demott » June 6th, 2020, 6:30 pm

Engine now sorted

Return to “For Sale or Wanted”