The Global “anti-drone” hysteria continues..

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
David Baker

The Global “anti-drone” hysteria continues..

Postby David Baker » August 5th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Yes.. it’s good to know the global “anti-drone” media driven hysteria is alive and well and doing its utmost to kill our hobby..
According to the media..
Saturday August 4th 2018...
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro is subject to an Assassination attempt by “model drones” carrying high explosives! :o
The Daily Mail couldn’t get enough of it....... Ban it all... for the sake of humanity!

24 hours later...

Sunday evening 5th August
Same media... Oh dear! Turns out the explosion was somebody’s faulty gas boiler in a high rise apartment!

No retraction or apology.. all drone flyers are still terrorists..

David Baker

Re: The Global “anti-drone” hysteria continues..

Postby David Baker » August 5th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Oh
Don’t think it was the daily Mail that led me here.. check out our own tax payer funded BBC news website..
The reports are even worse!
El Presidente’ is “outraged” and threatening “severe retaliation”

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » August 5th, 2018, 8:06 pm

the explosion was somebody’s faulty gas boiler

Yeeeh right! That's about as likely as it being a drone...
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » August 5th, 2018, 11:39 pm

Drones are a problem unfortunately, I have heard a report of some idiot from the local village flying a drone over a locked down airfield to see what the SAS were doing on it :(

Drones and clay clay pigeon shooting should be a good mix --- PULL !

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » October 6th, 2018, 8:02 am

Impact test of drone v aircraft wing
https://youtu.be/QH0V7kp-xg0

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » October 6th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Are drones restricted to the same club rules as fixed wing models? If not they should be.
ie height limits, not out of sight and at most clubs a restricted boundary which you must fly within.
If this not the case, then why not?
Safety to the public is paramount and any model flown outside of the above mentioned is not safe.
Any flying model can be subject to a failure and if not in a controlled area or out of sight is
possibly life threatening to some poor soul.
The vast majority of modellers are very responsible and the problem does not lay with them.
It is the irresponsible thugs who do whatever they want that we have to worry about.
All drones or other aircraft which fly in sensitive areas and can be bought down by a jamming device
should suffer the consequences.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » October 6th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Yes Tony. They are.

Dave Hayfield

Postby Dave Hayfield » October 7th, 2018, 10:40 am

Interesting bit in BMFA News about exemptions for models. Most of it we know about but there is a chart showing airproxes to manned aircraft by unmanned craft. Most airproxes are under 3000 ft, and there are a lot of them but the amazing part of the report are the airproxes up to 14000 ft allegedly by drones which I suspect would be military, if not then some modellers have superhuman eyesight !!!!
Thanet Model Flying Club
LMA 520

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » October 7th, 2018, 11:11 am

Plenty of idiots out there flying FPV to silly heights and places. Was in Crete last week and some knob was flying one up and down the beach- pretty obvious he was perving the young girls in bikinis. Honest, I averted my eyes...

Phil Clark

Postby Phil Clark » October 7th, 2018, 9:26 pm

I truly believe it's down to the manufacturers/retailers to resolve the issue (not that it ever will because it's too much trouble, too expensive & will compromise their sales)

If you go into a 'toy shop' or some random website & buy one of these things with no notices on the box, no paperwork inside & no information from the retailer regarding exactly what the various rules & regs are, then most 'joe public' types will treat it as a 'toy' and think they can do whatever they want.

You cannot blame 'joe public' for breaking the law if they are not given the information regarding what the law actually is. We regularly get people in our workshop asking if we sell drones etc.......they ALL think they are toys & when we inform them what they can & can't do with them, they all get a bit of a shock and quickly walk away.

I was in the lakes on top of one of the fells last summer and a drone flew directly over mine & my wifes heads (only 30-40ft up).......not a pilot in sight as we watched it clear off over the horizon. It was clearly on a preprogrammes GPS course, or being flown FPV by someone nowhere near where we were.

Each and every drone sold should be coming with clear information regarding the rules and regs & an application for for the BMFA/LMA for insurance provision. If buys choose to ignore this information, then more fool them & they should be ready for severe financial punishment and/or custodial sentences if their reckless actions cause issues to the general public.

Phil

Steve Mansell

Postby Steve Mansell » October 8th, 2018, 6:34 pm

One solution would be a requirement to register the sale, the onus on the retailer. The purchaser being responsible for using it in accordance with the guidance given in the users instructions supplied with the drone.

A better solution would be to forget all about new regulation, and apply and prosecute under existing regulation. As mentioned before, education of responsible people works, but makes no difference to those who don't give a damn.
As a compliance engineer for 30 years, I came across those that compiled, those that thought they complied, and those that were unaware or unwilling to follow regulation.

A good friend of mine (law abiding and upstanding) suggested he filmed the maiden flight of my latest project with his drone, and during our chat it was apparent he was totally unaware of the legal obligations, and went on to say " but that doesn't apply to me, it's for people who do it as a business. "

I know that in the eyes of the law ignorance is no defence, but how on earth is the average Joe public expected to have an awareness of these proposed regulations when buying a present for his son/daughter.

We are in a position now where technology, and it's application, is moving faster than society can manage it (in a formal sense).

Rant over!
Steve

Return to “General Discussion Topics”