Re: Covid-19 safety EDITED

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Tony Collins 1073
Posts: 794
Joined: December 6th, 2008, 10:00 am
Location: Braintree. Many Miles from any "Large Model" club
Contact:

Re: Covid-19 safety EDITED

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » May 13th, 2020, 9:38 am

Just before the pandemic started I purchased 1 litre of isopropyl alcohol. This was fortunate as my daughter who is a professional hairdresser gave me a hairdressers Silver Spray Can 500ml which issues a wide very fine spray. I filled this up when the covid-19 panic started and use it on every shopping item that enters the house. [my kids do all the shopping for my wife and I, bless them] It is a fine mist spray and very economical. Since the virus began I am just coming to the end of 500ml that I started with. although the IPA has increased in price since I bought it, it is still worth getting when you consider what is at stake.
The following was recently published in an article reviewing effective ways of killing coronavirus:-

Will alcohol disinfect surfaces?

[i]Isopropyl alcohol is an effective disinfectant against many pathogens, including coronavirus, as long as the concentration is 70%. Most rubbing alcohols are 70% isopropyl alcohol, but concentrations can range from 60% to 99%. Seventy percent is best for quickly killing COVID-19 on surfaces — pure (100%) alcohol evaporates too quickly to be effective.[/i]

A quick spray on door handles, locks cupboards etc is a very quick and convenient way of treating surfaces.
The bottle will only cost a fiver and 1 litre of ipa from ebay £12.49 links below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Litre-1L-I ... SwlQ5et9Od

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAIR-TOOLS-P ... SwtJZXUKGf

When you consider what we spend on our hobby this a very small price to pay for something so quick, easy and
effective.

Protect yourself and your family everyone and stay safe in these trying times.

PS. you will have to adjust the spray carefully for the finest, widest spray.
Ordinary everyday spray bottles will use a LOT of IPA so don't use them.

Tony.

PPS. Now I have a nice rebuilt car and new eyes I just can't wait to get flying again just like all of us. :D

EDIT

Have just seen more medical information which says .....alcohol solutions with AT LEAST70% alcohol.
This does make sense as a 99.9% solution would not need as long as a solution that has been diluted with 30% water to
kill any virus
Last edited by Tony Collins 1073 on May 14th, 2020, 8:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tony Collins 1073
Posts: 794
Joined: December 6th, 2008, 10:00 am
Location: Braintree. Many Miles from any "Large Model" club
Contact:

Re: Covid-19 safety eDITED

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » May 14th, 2020, 8:35 am

Tony Collins 1073 wrote:Just before the pandemic started I purchased 1 litre of isopropyl alcohol. This was fortunate as my daughter who is a professional hairdresser gave me a hairdressers Silver Spray Can 500ml which issues a wide very fine spray. I filled this up when the covid-19 panic started and use it on every shopping item that enters the house. [my kids do all the shopping for my wife and I, bless them] It is a fine mist spray and very economical. Since the virus began I am just coming to the end of 500ml that I started with. although the IPA has increased in price since I bought it, it is still worth getting when you consider what is at stake.
The following was recently published in an article reviewing effective ways of killing coronavirus:-

Will alcohol disinfect surfaces?

[i]Isopropyl alcohol is an effective disinfectant against many pathogens, including coronavirus, as long as the concentration is 70%. Most rubbing alcohols are 70% isopropyl alcohol, but concentrations can range from 60% to 99%. Seventy percent is best for quickly killing COVID-19 on surfaces — pure (100%) alcohol evaporates too quickly to be effective.[/i]

A quick spray on door handles, locks cupboards etc is a very quick and convenient way of treating surfaces.
The bottle will only cost a fiver and 1 litre of ipa from ebay £12.49 links below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Litre-1L-I ... SwlQ5et9Od

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAIR-TOOLS-P ... SwtJZXUKGf

When you consider what we spend on our hobby this a very small price to pay for something so quick, easy and
effective.

Protect yourself and your family everyone and stay safe in these trying times.

PS. you will have to adjust the spray carefully for the finest, widest spray.
Ordinary everyday spray bottles will use a LOT of IPA so don't use them.

Tony.

PPS. Now I have a nice rebuilt car and new eyes I just can't wait to get flying again just like all of us. :D

EDIT

Have just seen more medical information which says .....alcohol solutions with AT LEAST70% alcohol.
This does make sense as a 99.9% solution would not need as long as a solution that has been diluted with 30% water to
kill any virus

Steve Perry
Posts: 191
Joined: July 12th, 2015, 7:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Re: Covid-19 safety EDITED

Postby Steve Perry » May 14th, 2020, 10:32 pm

I have been using methylated spirits on everything that comes in the door as it is pure alcohol with stuff in it to make it un drinkable !
The cost of 99% isopropyl alcohol hit £35 per liter at one point, meths works out at £25 for 5L at the moment, wife asked why I had spent £60 on meths, I told her "to stay alive" !
It is worth looking at the WHO recipe that includes a little 3% hydrogen peroxide.

There are lots of videos on youtube for recipes, probbably the most informative ishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsX7tEM6gFA
For basic ratios try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-e9AEaz0FQ

The important thing is to not let it in the door, if anyone wants my full PPE and
Decontamination procedure for going to the supermarket then I will be happy to post it, if the virus cannot get in the door then you can relax at home :)

Tony Collins 1073
Posts: 794
Joined: December 6th, 2008, 10:00 am
Location: Braintree. Many Miles from any "Large Model" club
Contact:

Re: Covid-19 safety EDITED

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » May 15th, 2020, 8:27 am

Hi Steve. If you follow my ebay link you will find that IPA in that ad is cheaper than any meths ad.
Also looking at article on the safest way to safeguard surfaces against the virus gave this advice.:-

Good disinfectants to look out for are things that contain hypochlorite (which is the main active ingredient in bleach) or activated hydrogen peroxide (0.5%). Others may contain benzalkonium chloride, though some studies have shown this is less effective against coronaviruses. You could also just use conventional bleach (at 0.1-0.2% available chlorine – check the back of your bottle) in water. Or you could just use alcohol. Ethanol is best. Isopropyl alcohol is good too. Methylated spirits is not as good but better than nothing.

Why spend money on something that is not as good and not even cheaper :)

Steve Perry
Posts: 191
Joined: July 12th, 2015, 7:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Re: Covid-19 safety EDITED

Postby Steve Perry » May 15th, 2020, 10:17 am

Methylated spirit is Ethanol, but with a small additive to make it un drinkable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep2I3Gf3Sec

Steve Mansell
Posts: 205
Joined: March 1st, 2012, 11:59 pm
Location: Farnborough, Kent
Contact:

Re: Re: Covid-19 safety EDITED

Postby Steve Mansell » May 15th, 2020, 4:25 pm

I'm keeping my blood alcohol level as high as I can. Too drunk to know if I'm ill or not! :lol:
Cheers
Steve

Bob Thompson1894
Posts: 917
Joined: December 6th, 2008, 1:08 pm
Location: Notts
Contact:

Re: Re: Covid-19 safety EDITED

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » May 15th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Steve Perry wrote:Methylated spirit is Ethanol, but with a small additive to make it un drinkable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep2I3Gf3Sec
and yet I can buy ethanol pure for the fire I have. https://www.prestigiousfires.co.uk/bioe ... wwod8BMAqQ

Steve Perry
Posts: 191
Joined: July 12th, 2015, 7:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Re: Covid-19 safety EDITED

Postby Steve Perry » May 15th, 2020, 9:54 pm

Lets move on to hand sanitizer, at the start at work we bought at £50 per gallon, now it is £70 per gallon from such as https://www.jennychem.com/products/5l-70-alcohol-hand-sanitiser
or https://lakelandcosmetics.co.uk/shop/5-litre-moisturising-anti-bacterial-hand-gel/
Last edited by Steve Perry on May 16th, 2020, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Thompson1894
Posts: 917
Joined: December 6th, 2008, 1:08 pm
Location: Notts
Contact:

Re: Re: Covid-19 safety EDITED

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » May 16th, 2020, 7:08 am

so why not put some Meths or ethanol in to a spray bottle to clean areas, and save the expensive hand gel for hands only?

Steve Perry
Posts: 191
Joined: July 12th, 2015, 7:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Re: Covid-19 safety EDITED

Postby Steve Perry » May 16th, 2020, 5:41 pm

Meths is not suitable for using on your hands as it contains 10% methanol ! Pure ethanol is suitable for use in the recipes in the earlier posts

Bob Thompson1894
Posts: 917
Joined: December 6th, 2008, 1:08 pm
Location: Notts
Contact:

Re: Re: Covid-19 safety EDITED

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » May 16th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Steve Perry wrote:Meths is not suitable for using on your hands as it contains 10% methanol ! Pure ethanol is suitable for use in the recipes in the earlier posts
thats why I said for areas, keep hand gel for hands.

Steve Perry
Posts: 191
Joined: July 12th, 2015, 7:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Re: Covid-19 safety EDITED

Postby Steve Perry » May 16th, 2020, 9:58 pm

For disinfecting areas then diluted bleach is the best option, an earlier post gives more info. It is best not to let the virus in the door to start with, I spray shopping and the post with meths outside and wait until it drys before bringing it inside, and use a strict procedure when going to the supermarket.


Return to “General Discussion Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests