Farm hand 90

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Arthur Fielding

Farm hand 90

Postby Arthur Fielding » March 15th, 2010, 9:03 pm

Hi
Could some one please tell me if the Steve Holland model Farm Hand 90 has a two piece wing ,and more importantly
will the air frame take a Zenoha 80 twin ,as this is the only petrol engine i have.
Any other information about the model would also be appreciated.
Thanks for your time
Arthur.

Nick Reeves 3055

Re: Farm hand 90

Postby Nick Reeves 3055 » March 15th, 2010, 10:22 pm

one piece wing i think
Adreneline is a Natural substance, Enjoy it when you can!
Too many planks to count, & two helis all guided by Futaba

Steve Holland

Postby Steve Holland » March 16th, 2010, 12:35 am

Hi Arthur

The Farmhand 90 (86"span) is a one peice wing which has proved ok with most pilots.

The biggest engine fitted so far has been a Zenoah 62. The airframe will handle more power but the balence will be hard to get correct with the extra weight of the 80. I think you would be better off getting a second hand 62 as we have towed up to 5m gliders with ease with this combination of engine and plane.

Good luck if you do try it.

Steve

Steve Holland

Postby Steve Holland » March 16th, 2010, 12:40 am

Try looking up "Farmhand model plane in the snow" on you-tube to how the Farmhand flys on a 62 Zenoah.

Steve

Alan Harvey

Postby Alan Harvey » March 18th, 2010, 10:47 pm

Steve,
I have the Farmhand DVD and found it very good and will probably be a future project. Can I ask what would you consider the minimum size engine that can power the aircraft, that won't be used for glider towing. The reason I ask is my Zenoah 38 is in another model and I do have a Zenoah 26 waiting for an airframe.

Alan Harvey.

Steve Holland

Postby Steve Holland » March 20th, 2010, 9:25 am

Alan

The Farmhand 90 will fly on a Zenoah 26 but will lacking in go + you will have CG issues.

If you do go this route I suggest you move the tail servos into the cockpit area and operate them via closed loop and do away with the flaps, towing and toffee dropping bits to save some weight.

The Farmhand has been designed to take lifes little knocks, i.e. it got a few spare lbs like most of us LMA members and flys better on 40cc size engines.

Cheers Steve

Alan Harvey

Postby Alan Harvey » March 21st, 2010, 3:48 pm

Steve, Thanks for the reply and the advice. It's a shame the laser cutting machine can't be tweaked to produce a kit of any required size. A bespoke kit so to speak.

Regards, Alan.

Steve Holland

Postby Steve Holland » March 21st, 2010, 6:58 pm

Alan

It is possible with the click of a mouse to change the drawing scale. The problem is the wood sizes don't scale up and down as easaily. The Farmhand 90 uses 3mm lite ply and the farmhand 60 uses 2mm lite ply for most of the parts supplied by Traplet. The spars are 9mm on the big one and 6mm on the smaller one. If there was enough demand I suspect Traplet might Introduce a Farmhand 75/80 for 180glow to 26cc petrol. I have enough on my plate at the moment though so it would be a while away before it could be done even if it were possible as all the slots would have to be redrawn. Have thought about a Farmhand 120 for 100cc + engines which could give the large glider tugging boys a new toy, no I'm just dreaming again.

Cheers Steve

Return to “General Discussion Topics”