Breezy

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Dave Kellett

Breezy

Postby Dave Kellett » April 22nd, 2022, 10:07 am

At the start of our forum pages we have some fabulous pictures of members models.
The 'Comet' is just outstanding and congratulations as to who built her.
Can anybody tell me please is 'Breezy' a kit or a self design.
If it's a kit then who produces?? or can somebody put me in touch with the builder, because I think that is a real fun thing, and takes us back to basics, which is no bad thing.

Best regards

Dave

DAVE JOHNSON

Re: Breezy

Postby DAVE JOHNSON » April 24th, 2022, 8:08 am

Dave--thanks for the kind comments--the Comet was built by the master builders of John and son Steve Rickets---its now been sold on and i believe in the USA---the Breezy was completly scratch built--unfortunately the Builder Claud Smith passed away a couple of years back---the model now resides in Lincolnshire and will hopefully be seen around the shows again in the future

Dave Kellett

Postby Dave Kellett » April 24th, 2022, 11:46 am

Hi Dave
Many thanks for the reply, and quite rightly sad to hear of the passing of the 'Breezy's' builder.
I have since posting my original post done some internet research, regarding Breezy, and found some really interesting video footage of the real deal.
It was originally designed and built by three guys and designated the RLU-1 by Charles Roloff, Carl Unger, and Bob Liposkyand sold as a kit of chrome moly tubes, apparently over 1000 plans/kits were sold. One very funny part of it's life was when Carl Unger landed in a field, unknown to him near to a nudist colony, when all of a sudden a lady appeared wearing nothing but some sandals, she asked if she could have a ride in it, and having got approval from Carl Unger had a ride in it, apparently this was the very first passenger for this aeroplane.
Pity the 'Comet' is away in the states but at least it shows off some of the best of British.
Once again thanks for the reply
Dave K

Cary Bailey

Postby Cary Bailey » April 25th, 2022, 9:18 am

Dave, my pal out in the USA owns a Breezy and I’ve flown it with him! Quite an experience!
Cary

Dave Kellett

Postby Dave Kellett » April 25th, 2022, 12:01 pm

Hi Cary,
hope you were wearing more than a smile and sandals

Dave

Cary Bailey

Postby Cary Bailey » April 26th, 2022, 2:51 pm

Dave, On the border of Louisiana & Mississippi in October is usually still quite warm! No sandals! However it was exhilarating having nothing around you!!
Cary

Dave Kellett

Postby Dave Kellett » April 26th, 2022, 3:32 pm

Cary
The thought's are not good, do you realise that anything faster than 30mph the bugs stick like s..t to a blanket.
Know that of a fact when flying a T21 over Somerset. Don't recommend flying in the buff lol

Dave

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » April 26th, 2022, 5:26 pm

Intrigued, I did a google search, I can see the reason for the name, like flying on a stretcher, perhaps very apt,

805D16DD-2471-42FE-872D-FE3EE262DDCD.jpeg
805D16DD-2471-42FE-872D-FE3EE262DDCD.jpeg (77.11 KiB) Viewed 2624 times

Dave Kellett

Postby Dave Kellett » April 27th, 2022, 11:11 am

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the reply. This is an interesting photo of the 'Breezy' I can see it's of a tandem configuration, dual control, whereas the original had a 3 seat configuration. Personally I really like the aircraft and it would bring a lot of interest to our sport.
With regards to your comment 'Flying stretcher' how true that is. The pilot has no protection from missed approaches, and going through hedges, particularly if your lady passenger is from the nudist colony, and is not wearing anything but a smile and sandals lol.
How is Dave Jones doing these days? we did meet up with the 2 of you very brifely at the NATS some years ago and my wife nicked named you and Dave the 'Dakota boys' Wow what a model that was.

Regards

Dave

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » April 28th, 2022, 8:44 pm

Well, Dave did indeed build a Dakota, but I have no recollection of the meeting you mention, mind you, I spent a lot of time over the driving drink limit! If you have theright Dave Jones, he is well, but has retired from building, the Dakota is under new ownership,

Dave Kellett

Postby Dave Kellett » April 29th, 2022, 11:04 am

Alan

PM sent

Return to “General Discussion Topics”