Elvington Show

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
BRIAN RAWCLIFFE

Elvington Show

Postby BRIAN RAWCLIFFE » August 22nd, 2022, 1:19 pm

Elvington LMA show last week. Firstly I would like to thank everyone who helped to retrieve my Hawker Tempest after the loss of power which resulted in the model landing in the rough grass area, severely damaging the wings. Two pilots I would like to mention are Stewart Clifford, and Mick Butler, many thanks. Sunday morning I transferred the model from my car to the workshop, and I am relived to say that the fuselage, engine, and all associated equipment is in perfect order, no damage whatsoever. Checking the radial engine i removed the plugs one at a time, switched on the ignition and with one plug connected to it's lead the other four remaining in the engine, holding the prop I turned the engine over and got a full spark. I repeated this procedure until all five plugs were removed, all with a full spark. So no ignition problems. [However], when i was turning the engine over it gave a kick, it did it a couple of times and i thought it must be due to some residual fuel in the cylinders. The tank had been emptied although a small amount always remains. NOTE. When the model was retrieved i switched of all the rx switches etc, and then the transmitter which i put into the carry case. So all the switch settings were as the model landed. Wednesday in bed thinking as usual what happened, and then i remembered the engine kicking when i turned it over, and i thought it can't do that unless the engine is choked. So 2.30 am in the morning i got out of bed and went into my workshop, took the transmitter out of it's case and low and behold the servo operated switch was in the on position, and on checking the carb the choke was closed. I must have accidentally turned the switch on while flying. This would be the reason for the loss of power. What an idiot i am. Leon is making me a set of wing ribs etc. which i should have in two weeks time So i will be flying it again next year. Brian Rawcliffe LMA 042,

IAN TURNEY-WHITE

Re: Elvington Show

Postby IAN TURNEY-WHITE » August 23rd, 2022, 10:39 am

Brian , pleased you have found out what the problem is and that you are going to get the model flying again .
I use a servo operated choke on some of my models , but configure it to work of one of the transmitter switches with a short lever
which may make it less likely to be accidentally operated (or maybe side lever or knob , dependant on your transmitter ? )
Best regards Ian Turney-White

BRIAN RAWCLIFFE

Postby BRIAN RAWCLIFFE » August 23rd, 2022, 2:31 pm

Ian. I totally agree with you. My transmitter is a Futaba 12G, and for 14 years the choke switch has been set on switch SA which is a 3 position switch and a short lever. However one flight last year the engine was not at it's best, so I landed ok, and found that the choke switch was in the middle position, meaning it was partially choked. So to prevent that happening again I changed it to a 2 position switch SF which is on the top left hand side, it is also a long lever. Need I say more..Many Thanks Brian.

Keith Mitchell

Postby Keith Mitchell » August 25th, 2022, 3:50 pm

Sorry to hear of the damage to that lovely aeroplane. However, I think we can all rest assured that the ‘irrepressible’ Rawcliffe will have it duly repaired (isn’t that what the dark days of winter are for, Brian?)…

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » August 25th, 2022, 8:14 pm

Will you stop bending that aeroplane! Glad she is under repair, getting quite the triggers broom!

stewart clifford

Postby stewart clifford » August 28th, 2022, 8:41 pm

Hi Brian

Really pleased to hear your Tempest is being repaired for next year and I’m really looking forward to seeing you back out with it.
You’re an absolute inspiration to so many, to see someone twice my age still displaying a warbird as well as you do is fantastic.
And by the way, when you were standing there looking at the damaged model saying “that’s it, I’ll not rebuild it” I was thinking “I bet you do”.
Hopefully catch up at Gaydon later in the year, good luck with the repair.
All the best
Stewart.

BRIAN RAWCLIFFE

Postby BRIAN RAWCLIFFE » October 27th, 2022, 3:31 pm

Stewart, just letting you know that the new wing is complete ready for glassing. We had to miss Gaydon because Sean had covid, and both myself and Paul were suffering with heavy colds. ps. I celebrated my 90th birthday two day's ago. Brian..

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » October 27th, 2022, 8:45 pm

Brian, happy late birthday to you, another milestone birthday, glad the Tempest is coming on,

Peter Siggins

Postby Peter Siggins » October 28th, 2022, 10:03 am

Congratulations on your 90 th Brian - another milestone,next is the telegram one

All the best

Pete

Stuart Solomon

Postby Stuart Solomon » October 28th, 2022, 4:00 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: You got your telegram from the Monarch yet Pete ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peter Siggins

Postby Peter Siggins » October 29th, 2022, 8:36 am

Which monarch Stuart ????

Stuart Solomon

Postby Stuart Solomon » October 31st, 2022, 2:54 pm

:lol: :D Victoria

Peter Siggins

Postby Peter Siggins » October 31st, 2022, 6:00 pm

Same Monarch as yours ??