2mm Liteply as wing skin???

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
stuart knowles 1611

2mm Liteply as wing skin???

Postby stuart knowles 1611 » January 19th, 2023, 10:16 am

Hi to All

If its not too late to say so, Happy New Year and wishing you all a great flying year.

Given the price of balsa I have been looking at alternative materials. I like the foam board (paper lined depron) it seems useful for formers and as a core on large fin/ rudders and tailplanes and I'm now looking at wing skin material, both for foam core and built up. I did cover some foam cares with the 100 GSM carton board, an idea developed by John Newberry back in the early days of the LMA. I got a stock of large card sheets from John which is now long gone. I've never been able to find a fresh supply.

Veneer seems hard to come by.

Has anyone tried 2mm Liteply as a wing skin? Perhaps a bit heavier than one would like but on a large model, it should carry the weight. Anyone used it on a built up wing?

I also looking at white foam cores with spars added but then ditch the skinning entirely and just covering with brown paper / PVA. Chris Golds seemed to produce some good looking models using this method before he went electric. I've used it on smaller models without spars but not the larger stuff.

Thoughts anyone??

regards
Stu K

DAVE JOHNSON

Re: 2mm Liteply as wing skin???

Postby DAVE JOHNSON » January 19th, 2023, 7:21 pm

Hi Stu--happy new year to you---on my latest B17 build i covered the foam core wings with Proskin glued direct onto the foam cores with Gorilla glue---its certainly is an easy and strong finish and ready for paint without any more prep !!!

stuart knowles 1611

Postby stuart knowles 1611 » January 20th, 2023, 9:18 am

Thanks Dave, I appeciate your thoughts. I've had a look at Proskin. I take it that it's only available via Mick Reeves?
Prices are moderate and certainly a quick way to a paintable finish.

Still like to hear from anyone who has used 2 mil Liteply or Laserply as a wing skin

Stuart Solomon

Postby Stuart Solomon » January 23rd, 2023, 1:45 pm

Hi Stuart, I used 2mm liteply on my 1/3rd scale Moth Minor, changed it over to 3/32 balsa and saved 1.75 kg.

stuart knowles 1611

Postby stuart knowles 1611 » January 23rd, 2023, 8:26 pm

Hi Stuart, Really! 1.75KG, thats quite a lot isn't it. Not sure that Liteply live up to its name in that case.

Thanks for the reply though. Much heavier than I anticipated.
regards
Stu K

Stuart Solomon

Postby Stuart Solomon » January 24th, 2023, 10:40 am

Adds a lot of strength but at a weight penalty

Dave Kellett

Postby Dave Kellett » January 30th, 2023, 8:58 am

PM sent

Return to “General Discussion Topics”