LMA Proficiency Scheme

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Robert_Greenwood

LMA Proficiency Scheme

Postby Robert_Greenwood » January 18th, 2010, 5:58 pm

Hello All,

I am told the Proficiency Scheme is equal to the B test, is this true?

Would it be advised to do my B cert First?.... :?:

Cheers

Rob
See the Vulcan www.modelvulcan.co.uk
Also see the Lancaster www.modellancaster.co.uk

Nick Reeves 3055

Re: LMA Proficiency Scheme

Postby Nick Reeves 3055 » January 18th, 2010, 8:29 pm

i'm sure others will have their own opinions but.......

i did my A and B tests a 'few' years ago, and sat my proficiency test last year. having sat them both i would say go for the b first and then go for the proficency. the reasons for this is that i think the B test is geared for more advanced flying than the A (obvious really) but in a much more controlled and safe manner. the lma proficiency test is all of this but also includes more elements for 'display' flying. i got the impression that if your sitting the lma test, you can already fly safely. but what is wanted is demonstration of being able to deal with situations other than just flying the model. the caller for the test is also a very important part too so if you haven't already got one get a flying pal to call for you while your flying and make him talk to you non stop about whats going around you so you can concertrate on the flying, and let him/her be another pair of eyes for you
Adreneline is a Natural substance, Enjoy it when you can!
Too many planks to count, & two helis all guided by Futaba

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 18th, 2010, 8:37 pm

Nick Reeves 3055 wrote:i'm sure others will have their own opinions but.......

i did my A and B tests a 'few' years ago, and sat my proficiency test last year. having sat them both i would say go for the b first and then go for the proficency. the reasons for this is that i think the B test is geared for more advanced flying than the A (obvious really) but in a much more controlled and safe manner. the lma proficiency test is all of this but also includes more elements for 'display' flying. i got the impression that if your sitting the lma test, you can already fly safely. but what is wanted is demonstration of being able to deal with situations other than just flying the model. the caller for the test is also a very important part too so if you haven't already got one get a flying pal to call for you while your flying and make him talk to you non stop about whats going around you so you can concertrate on the flying, and let him/her be another pair of eyes for you

Big help here is make sure your caller has his prof. That way he knows what is needed.

Simon Willey

Postby Simon Willey » January 18th, 2010, 10:16 pm

I used a caller that did not have his LMA but is a BMFA examiner. He is also a really good flyer and our club safety officer. He also happens to be my flying partner. With out him I could not have passed the test . He was just as important in me passing as I was.
If you get your B then you will have the flying skills needed . I found my test was all about safety in a show situation. Well worth doing and I am really glad I did it. I also met some really great people at the same time.

Simon
The Dawn Patrol
LMA No 3109

Robert_Greenwood

Postby Robert_Greenwood » January 18th, 2010, 10:38 pm

Thank you for the advice, i think i will go for my B then the Proficiency test....been playing with the b exam so will carry on....

Didn't realise that you needed a partner so much on the flight line :)

I normally have someone help out and call bits out but didn't know you needed one to have to pass your test....

Thanks guys...:)

Barry Bennett

Postby Barry Bennett » January 19th, 2010, 12:36 pm

I don't believe there is any corellation at all between the B test and the prof test. The B test consists of a seies of well executed aerobatics, together with a well deomstarated safty awareness, which includes some in depth questions on saftey. A LMA prof. test may be taken with a model that is not capable of the aeroobatics, eg a twin engine or multi engined model.If the prof .test is taken with large aerobatic model, eg CAP or Extra, the examiner may or may not want to see the B cert aeros.Just the safe flying and show demmo.
Many clubs now require a B cert for gas turbine flying, where a prof. cert will not satisfy.
Last edited by Barry Bennett on January 19th, 2010, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 19th, 2010, 4:57 pm

You still ought to go for your Prof., Barry!
(this editing stuff is good, isnt it?) :twisted:
Last edited by Bob Thompson1894 on January 20th, 2010, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry Bennett

Postby Barry Bennett » January 19th, 2010, 11:11 pm

BOB ,The point of my post was that the B test is not equivalent to the Prof. cert..The B test also requires the pilot to fly perfect rectangular circuits maintaining constant height, and in both directions , and one direction not above 40ft. I passed the B test firstime, and in a cross wind.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 20th, 2010, 12:24 am

Barry Bennett wrote:BOB ,The point of my post was that the B test is not equivalent to the Prof. cert..The B test also requires the pilot to fly perfect rectangular circuits maintaining constant height, and in both directions , and one direction not above 40ft. I passed the B test firstime, and in a cross wind.

You are right in that it is nothing like the B test, Barry, it tests different things. There is still nothing stopping you taking you prof.

Chris Lane

Postby Chris Lane » January 20th, 2010, 9:17 am

Go for the "B" test. My Greenley has been sitting finished and unflown for two years because my home club won't allow me to fly it even with a "B" holder on a buddy box because I myself don't have a "B". . . . . . . .

My Hostetler Cessna 150 is similarly dormant although externally complete as there is no point in working on it at present.

Chris Lane

Robert_Greenwood

Postby Robert_Greenwood » January 20th, 2010, 9:26 am

Thanks for your responses, the B test it is.

Up until the back end of last year i was getting ready for the B test, I just need the weather to change so i can get back out and practice.....:)

Need to book a date to work too.....:)

I also now have a nice LMA trainer to do my test on.....yay!! :)

Return to “General Discussion Topics”