David Boddington

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Keith Mitchell

David Boddington

Postby Keith Mitchell » January 31st, 2010, 11:26 pm

Many will already be aware that LMA Vice President, David Boddington, is very ill in Hospital.

I spoke to his wife, Jill, last week and she confirmed that it was serious and David was trying to come to terms with a difficult prognosis. He is, however, much encouraged by all the good wishes, cards and letters he has received from his many friends in this country and throughout the world of aeromodelling.

To this is added the support of his beloved LMA, and I have no doubt that you would wish to add your messages of personal support on this Forum --------.

Keith Mitchell

Alan Cantwell 1131

Re: David Boddington

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » January 31st, 2010, 11:41 pm

INDEED, Dave has always had a cheeery word when i have bumped into him, one of the hobbys TRUE greats, get better soon Double Brandy, i wish you all the best

DAVE JOHNSON

Postby DAVE JOHNSON » February 1st, 2010, 9:32 am

It was very sad news hearing of Daves illness---a card was sent from the LMA committee last week.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 1st, 2010, 10:12 am

A great character, and one of the best guys in model flying. Get well soon, Dave!
Incidentally, there are a load of good wishes on the RCMF forum as well. A man with a lot of friends....

RoySalter

Postby RoySalter » February 13th, 2010, 8:37 am

Both Joan and myself are extremely sad to read of David's illness and are sending a message to Jill and David expressing our thoughts.

Vince Raia

Postby Vince Raia » February 13th, 2010, 10:43 am

Have just seen this posting and sad to hear of Dave's illness, wishing the great man my best wishes for a safe return to better health.

ROGER BALE

Postby ROGER BALE » February 14th, 2010, 10:39 am

I do hope Dave is well soon , he is a true areo modeler and has helped me on several occasions,get well and see you, kind regards ,Roger.

Phil Dalton

Postby Phil Dalton » February 14th, 2010, 11:16 am

The following has been received from Ron Multon:-

The attached notice has been prepared with the agreement of David's family as a means of advising his many friends that a
sudden illness has afflicted his mobility.

Discretion demands that no further details can be revealed.

Messages of goodwill may be sent to his home address and their content conveyed to David during family visits.

Attached notice:

Boddo ( David Boddington )

This ever active and prolific designer of sports models is regrettably unwell, and not likely to be seen at vintage rallies over the next few months. After over fifty years of pioneering simple radio controlled models an unforeseen medical problem arose during the first days of the New Year. Limited mobility also poses a major problem for his recovery from Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma which is being treated with chemotherapy.

David has lost none of his drive and enthusiasm while under the best of treatment during his first ever experience of a hospital and will be fighting to get back to the flying field. We are sure that all members will join us in wishing him a safe and fast as possible return to good health.

Terry O Connor

Postby Terry O Connor » February 15th, 2010, 6:04 am

It is 30 years since I moved from free flight to radio control and started with a David boddington designed kit called a TYRO TOO.
I bought the David boddington book Radio control primer a book that I think many beginners should read before taking to the air even today.
I went along to the Newcastle town moor and joined the club there and was taken under the wing of Ted Allison who gave both
me and my son instruction. I bought more David Boddington books and have not looked back since. I now live on the south coast
and fly at Beaulieu heath old WW2 airfield in the New Forest. I have had the pleasure of meeting David at Middle Wollop and would at a guess
say that there are few in our hobby who's lives have not been touched by Boddo. David I wish you and your family the very best at this time
of trial for you all. May God speed your recovery and keep you flying and dishing out your wealth of knowledge for many years to come.

God bless you and yours mate!

Terry O'Connor

Sydney Emmerson

Postby Sydney Emmerson » March 8th, 2010, 10:37 am

Good morning to one and all. Doing my daily browse and noticed a lack of comment on David Boddington.
Can anyone bring us upto date on David?
Sydney Emmerson

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » March 8th, 2010, 4:20 pm

Sydney Emmerson wrote:Good morning to one and all. Doing my daily browse and noticed a lack of comment on David Boddington.
Can anyone bring us upto date on David?
Sydney Emmerson

I believe he is recovering well and will be home in a week or so. Nice to hear.

frederick barlow

Postby frederick barlow » March 8th, 2010, 11:00 pm

he was at wigan and he looked ok

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » April 10th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Sad to hear that David has passed away. We have lost another top man.

ken hart

Postby ken hart » April 10th, 2010, 4:04 pm

Very sad to hear the news we have lost a true gentleman and a huge contributor to the hobby. May I give my sincere condolences to his family at this time. Ken Hart 2854

DAVE JOHNSON

Postby DAVE JOHNSON » April 10th, 2010, 7:51 pm

Very shocked and saddened to hear that our long serving Vice President has lost his battle with his illness----i have known Dave for many years,and in fact bought my first Large Model from him at Woodvale in the early 1980s----one of the Ruskin Airways DC3 aircraft he built for the tv series ---it was only a couple of weeks ago i received a letter from his wife saying he was home from hospital ,i thought he was on the mend----the LMA will miss him as well as all the modelling community as a whole---RIP DAVE

ian redshaw

Postby ian redshaw » April 10th, 2010, 9:02 pm

Very sad news indeed, aeromodelling has lost one of its true gentlemen, and certainly a character that has left a very definate mark on our sport . RIP Dave.

Keith Mitchell

Postby Keith Mitchell » April 10th, 2010, 11:47 pm

A sad, sad loss to the world of aeromodelling. I cannot think there has been an individual who has had a greater influence on the world of RC model aircraft than David ----------.

Our sincerest condolences to Jill and the family.

Mike Booth

Postby Mike Booth » April 11th, 2010, 7:22 pm

An Icon of our hobby has gone and I like many am very sad to hear the news.
David single handedly encouraged and inspired me with my early attempts at scale design.
He always expressed great interest in what i was doing and published more than a few designs in the various journals he was editor of.
He was instrumental in getting me on the Brit team to Topgun in the early 90s twice and never stopped giving me press on my creations.
What a time we had in Florida.

I have a lot to be grateful for, in knowing a true aviator, if ever there was one.
We spoke only last year at a later season show on the woes and ways of the Spitfire and how close he had come to flying one himself.

My Thoughts and respect go to Jill and the rest of his family and friends.

Bon Voyage David.

Mike Booth.

Jason Webb

Postby Jason Webb » April 11th, 2010, 10:09 pm

I would like to echo everyone's sentiments.

DB always gave me great encouragement from my teenage years onwards.

Great shame he didn't live to see the full-size BE2C he designed fly again - although I'm sure Paul & Matthew will fly it soon as a fitting tribute.

Blue skies DB.

Jason
"It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?"
Ronald Reagan

Terry O Connor

Postby Terry O Connor » July 18th, 2010, 3:15 pm

May I join you all in saying what a great man has died and will live in our memories and gratitude .

God Bles you David.

Return to “General Discussion Topics”