LONGHORSLEY 2011

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
John Townsend 389

LONGHORSLEY 2011

Postby John Townsend 389 » November 23rd, 2010, 2:56 pm

I would just like to point out that despite Dave Johnson's announcement at the AGM that this Event has been dropped by the LMA it is only their support that has been dropped and the actual Event will be taking place at the usual late May Bank holiday weekend.
Since it's inception in 1992 it has never been a big "trade show" as the more sparse population in the far North precludes large crowd attendances but we feel it has always been a friendly atmosphere for our fellow flyers to attend.
I do hope that we will continue to get your support, we cannot promise great weather but what Event can these days.

John Townsend

DAVE JOHNSON

Re: LONGHORSLEY 2011

Postby DAVE JOHNSON » November 24th, 2010, 1:17 pm

John--thanks for posting the info for your event---for anyone who wasnt at the AGM,i informed the meeting that the commitee had decided to remove 3 events from the LMA calender--Wigan --Longhorsley and Duxford--this was because of lack of support at these events in 2010----in total this should save the LMA over £5000 which can be used on new flyins etc around the country.Also,it should be noted,we did not just pull support for the Longhorsley club[i along with other committee have supported and loved going to all the events up there for many years],and we did offer to fund the costs of a long weekend flyin there,which was turned down by the club in faviour of putting on there own show.
In closing John,i hope you can get some good weather and hopefully get the event back onto the calender---DAVE

Stuart Solomon

Postby Stuart Solomon » November 24th, 2010, 10:32 pm

Just a tad naughty Dave as in the past the Longhorsley Show has had very little,if any, pre or post event reports or writeups. :? As for the Wigan event, in my mind the venue was totally unsuitable as it seperated the trade from the displays.
Solly

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » November 25th, 2010, 8:48 am

Hi Stu, I don’t know where you get the Longhorsley Show has had very little, if any, pre or post event reports or write-ups from, try looking on the LMA Website the show reports are from this year back to 2003 It has always been on the events calendar always on the forum, in the Journal what more do you want.

We do the same for Catton and Much Marcle I don’t see them complaining, Longhorsley is a great place with a warm and friendly atmosphere, we are all sad it has been dropped of the LMA Calendar along with Duxford, but that is for next year only, it doesn’t mean for good, we have to go with what the members want which is more fly-in’s sorry you feel you have been let down, but I for one can’t see where.

Dave Parry (LMA Events Committee)

John Townsend 389

Postby John Townsend 389 » November 25th, 2010, 12:13 pm

DAVE JOHNSON wrote:John--thanks for posting the info for your event---for anyone who wasnt at the AGM,i informed the meeting that the commitee had decided to remove 3 events from the LMA calender--Wigan --Longhorsley and Duxford--this was because of lack of support at these events in 2010----in total this should save the LMA over £5000 which can be used on new flyins etc around the country.Also,it should be noted,we did not just pull support for the Longhorsley club[i along with other committee have supported and loved going to all the events up there for many years],and we did offer to fund the costs of a long weekend flyin there,which was turned down by the club in faviour of putting on there own show.
In closing John,i hope you can get some good weather and hopefully get the event back onto the calender---DAVE

Hope to see you at Longhorsley again soon Dave, sunshine, heat and 10mph wind straight up the runway booked for next year.

DAVE JOHNSON

Postby DAVE JOHNSON » November 25th, 2010, 1:22 pm

OK John--i am sure that was the forecast you promised me when we came up in September !!!!! What we need is a Longhorsley in mid summer,so at least when the rain/Gales come,it would be WARM rain.gales?? only joking---see you soon DAVE

Dave Berry 2911

Postby Dave Berry 2911 » November 25th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Hope the snow's gone by then, Longhorsley featured on national BBC news story about the present inclement weather.
Local vicar managed to trudge through the snow to talk to a reporter :D

John Townsend 389

Postby John Townsend 389 » November 26th, 2010, 1:21 pm

Dave Berry 2911 wrote:Hope the snow's gone by then, Longhorsley featured on national BBC news story about the present inclement weather.
Local vicar managed to trudge through the snow to talk to a reporter :D

So do I.

John

Richard Hughes

Postby Richard Hughes » January 3rd, 2011, 2:00 pm

Looking at the dates of the above posts I realise that this may be "old news", but I haven’t had a chance to get on here very often and I just wanted to add my penny-worth....
As a Trader who has attended the Longhorsley show ever since I started up Falcon Aviation, I would like to say that it is one of the shows I have always very much enjoyed. Speaking personally we have always done a fairly good trade up there but even if we hadn’t, I would still attend as it is one of the most "personal" shows about with very friendly and welcoming club members and the hospitality and facilities are among the best around. Sure the weather can be against the site at times (and yes I particularly remember the year when we were all hanging onto the marquees for dear life! And the brand new marquee that was destroyed on its very first outing!) but what show hasn’t had its share of weather problems?
The only thing I miss is the Monday – personally I like 3 day weekends as it makes for a more relaxed time (when you have to set up 2 ½ tons of equipment and stock and then take it all down and pack it away again the day after it gets quite tiring! And you get to appreciate the third day) but all the Bank Holiday shows seem to have gone that way recently.
The Falcon Aviation crew will definitely be coming up to see you guys this year – it’s no accident that the coldest places usually generate the warmest hospitality! See you all there!

David Bell

Postby David Bell » January 4th, 2011, 11:25 pm

John, Who do we cotact with our details for the Longhorsley event, As i interested inattending the venue again this year and look forward to it.
Thanks for your help

David bell

John Townsend 389

Postby John Townsend 389 » January 5th, 2011, 2:37 pm

David Bell wrote:John, Who do we cotact with our details for the Longhorsley event, As i interested inattending the venue again this year and look forward to it.
Thanks for your help

David bell

David,
Contact is Gary Armstrong, Tel. 01912672707
More details and application forms will appear in due course.

John

markduffy

Postby markduffy » January 17th, 2011, 8:42 pm

I take it this event is open to the public and not just for LMA members.. I always look forward to this event..

How is it that the LMA can support the scottish airshow which seems to be less popular than Longhorseley in all the time i have been to these two events.

Stuart Solomon

Postby Stuart Solomon » January 17th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Mark,
Yes the show is open to the public on the Saturday and Sunday. As for your last question we are still trying to understand the mentality behind the decision although we have our thoughts. Cheers, Stuart, NMAS.

markduffy

Postby markduffy » January 18th, 2011, 9:00 pm

cheers stuart i will be there

Bob Johnstone

Postby Bob Johnstone » January 20th, 2011, 11:01 pm

Last year I was at both the SAA show and Longhorsely. As far as visitor numbers compare the SAA show had far more of the public attend although the size of the venue might have made it appear otherwise. The total camping also, was far greater at the SAA event.

I might be at the Longhorseley event 2011 if it goes ahead, all down to my personal finances though, as being retired my free cash has been drastically eroded. I did enjoy my visit to Longhorsely, both from being "mechanic" and spectator.

markduffy

Postby markduffy » January 21st, 2011, 9:30 pm

Ye i was at both last year too, longhorseley was unlucky last year with the weather. I have been to the scottish airshow ever since it was at glenrothes and when it moved to castle kennedy i didn't think they were getting that much of a turn out. As for longhorseley even though its in the sticks they still seemed to get a good turn out.
I just think its a shame to cut down on an airshow up in the north as there is not that many up this way.

Nick Reeves 3055

Postby Nick Reeves 3055 » January 21st, 2011, 11:22 pm

well there's only one in scotland
Adreneline is a Natural substance, Enjoy it when you can!
Too many planks to count, & two helis all guided by Futaba

Return to “General Discussion Topics”