Thinking of doing some splashing around

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Dave Parry
Site Admin

Thinking of doing some splashing around

Postby Dave Parry » December 18th, 2011, 3:24 pm

Hi all, I was just wondering, having given our water boys a bit of recognition on the website front page, which was long overdue I might add. Is it difficult to take off and land on water looking at some of the videos it looks like some of the planes take a beating, also how many of you go to Billing or any other places and fly of water. I am thinking of having a go sometime next year, I have a ¼ scale cub that need a revamp so it might be good to get some floats made for it, what do you think.

Alan Cantwell 1131

Re: Thinking of doing some splashing around

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » December 18th, 2011, 4:46 pm

ian redshaw has a video you need to see--rebuilt super cub on floats, with an on board camera to boot!! MOST realistic

Simon Willey

Postby Simon Willey » December 18th, 2011, 9:07 pm

Tis an Ace film. Watch the beginning very carefully

Here is the link

http://youtu.be/tT9hcONKmwY

Si
The Dawn Patrol
LMA No 3109

Bob Johnstone

Postby Bob Johnstone » December 19th, 2011, 10:12 pm

Have a look at Alisdair Sutherlands Page at,,

http://www20.brinkster.com/gvmac the Garnock Valley Model Flying Club

The rare Seamaster was/is a good Waterplane trainer to get started and it is also very good at handling rough-ish water. A more energetic model which is also very good with the rough water, the Northstar. After that you will have a good idea of what waterplane flying is about. FUN in capitols. Seen a few Cubs on floats, from little to your size, they do the biz fine although I do suggest "club" size practice first.

Matt Harrowven

Postby Matt Harrowven » December 26th, 2011, 9:09 pm

Simon Willey wrote:Tis an Ace film. Watch the beginning very carefully

Here is the link

http://youtu.be/tT9hcONKmwY

Si

Cheers mate. I must say, that was the best weekend for me this year, and I didn't even have a toy of my own to sink!

Still, that nice Mr Redstraw let me stall his :D :D
LMA No. 3066

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » December 27th, 2011, 9:58 am

Hi all, I had seen the video, it has been on our website front page all month as December front page was all about water planes, Ian emailed me when I for some reason I managed to miss it off my YouTube video list, this video is the reason I was thinking of my cub, but as I said I will need some floats, or some plans to make some. So who else as dabbled on the water it looks fun but is it hard?

stuart knowles 1611

Postby stuart knowles 1611 » December 27th, 2011, 10:48 am

So long as you don't need to stand behind the model on take off, no its not hard, in fact no more difficult than flying anywhere else, and very rewarding to do. Models look lovely as they lift off with water droplets streaming behind.

In calm water, basic precautions with keep the water out although if the wind is blowing and there is a bit of chop, it does tend to find its way in. That said, after many dunkings, neither engines no radio have suffered any long term damage. I do make sure that model and radio is well aired the following day and usually open the RX case to let that dry well too.

The BWA hosts sessions at Colwick Park near Nottingham three times a year, as do other clubs in the Lakes, Scotland and elsewhere.

The best way to find out what its like, - strap on some floats and have a go!

stu k

Return to “General Discussion Topics”