Sunderland Flying Boat

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
chris poyser

Sunderland Flying Boat

Postby chris poyser » November 7th, 2013, 9:42 am

Hi all

i,m not sure if i dreamed this or not but is there one of the above being built by one of the members.

cheers

chris

ian redshaw

Re: Sunderland Flying Boat

Postby ian redshaw » November 7th, 2013, 10:51 am

Don Billingham is building one, with scale flaps and all. Had a butchers at Gaydon. Its also detailed in the journal.

Ian.

Jonathan Pelham

Postby Jonathan Pelham » November 7th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Sadly not intended for amphibious operation. Dry land only
No Fault Found - I couldn't find the fault that caused your problem. That either means there isn't a fault or my diagnostics have problems...

James Stewart

Postby James Stewart » November 7th, 2013, 6:34 pm

So does it have a trolley or removeable undercarriage?

Don Billingham

Postby Don Billingham » November 7th, 2013, 7:49 pm

It is a Sandringham I, converted from Sunderland III ML788 in 1945 for use by BOAC. I will not fly it off water because its all salty where I live and dissolves electronics! The undercarriage retracts and hopefully will be hidden in flight. Weight is over 20kg, engines 15cc RCGF petrol. Hope to finish it soon. Read about the build in the LMA magazine.

Don Billingham

Postby Don Billingham » November 27th, 2023, 11:38 am

My Sunderland is a Sandringham, modelled on the first conversion which was still in RAF colours. You saw it at Gaydon several times and I wrote about it it the LMA journal. It still has not flown and although it is flight ready, that is because it weighs very close to 24kg, dry, and I cannot face the weight reduction exercise needed to reduce it to below the 25kg limit. I am also getting a bit frail now, unfortunately the years are having their revenge. If anyone is interested in taking the model through to flight then I will willingly pass it on, at a very sensible cost! You can telephone me on 01305 760037. Don Billingham November 2023

Return to “General Discussion Topics”