cell phone ?

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
paul hughes

cell phone ?

Postby paul hughes » May 19th, 2009, 8:22 am

just found this on the internet, quite interesting, does this mean mobiles are allowed on the flight line or not?

September 9, 2007
Polytechnic Students Fly Plane With Cellphone
According to Tech2, a research team of Mechanical Engineering Polytechnic College in Dattewal village of Moga district in Punjab has flown a model of a plane with the help of a mobile phone.

"The team, after months of labor, succeeded in flying a scaled-down version of an airplane with the help of a mobile phone that worked as a remote control. The mobile phone cum remote control directed the three-foot long plane to take off and fly. The airplane landed successfully, accomplishing the mission of the team.

"We designed the plane and then with the help of a mobile phone flew it for few minutes," said team leader Gurwinder Singh. Other members of the team included Gulab Singh, Simarpal Singh and Navdeep Singh, all students of the institute."

http://www.textually.org/textually/arch ... 07/09/?p=4
Last edited by paul hughes on May 20th, 2009, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Thompson1894

Re: cell phone ?

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » May 19th, 2009, 3:22 pm

The rule is no mobiles, and that is that. However, I personally believe that the only damage a mobile could do to a (computer) radio is if it is in very close proximity. It is the same paranoia that causes petrol station attendants to shout at people using mobiles in their cars- there has NEVER been a case of a mobile causing a fire in a filling station!
I have heard recently of terrorists flying models with bombs aboard which were controlled with mobile phones, or was this another Daily Mail Myth....
On another note, Paul, at least we got some flying in at Langar- not like those who went to Castle Kennedy...

andywynn

Postby andywynn » May 19th, 2009, 3:40 pm

There is an article on the BMFA site about them affecting synthersised module, it knocks them off frequency!!! :o :o As i use them i don't want a mobile anywhere near me when i'm flying.

Cheers

Andy

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » May 20th, 2009, 5:57 am

The worst problem, Andy, is travelling, with the mobile lying on a seat next to your transmitter.....!

Vince Raia

Postby Vince Raia » May 20th, 2009, 6:41 am

I personally think a lot of this hype is generated by the older generation who is ill informed, blind to/ doesn’t understand, and is generally ignorant about modern technology, just like people who pooh, pooh, computer radios, or anything else that is beyond their limited understanding!

Kenneth Hart

Postby Kenneth Hart » May 20th, 2009, 10:16 am

Speaking in defence of the ill informed older generation re adult dummies (mobile phones) ect I have to smile sometimes at the arrogance of youth,(most of whome leave school unable to put a punctuated sentence together or indeed complete a simple calculation without the aid of a keypad of some description), I feel it incumbent on me to come to the defense of us oldies.I see no fault in the rule of not bringing mobile phones to the flightline if only for the reason that they are damn annoying.Bellowing down the things and including all within a large area access to their inane ramblings seem to be the norm. For that reason alone, a ban on the flying field is a good idea.Those of us lucky enough to have reached the status of older generation are anything but ill informed,indeed we have much to contribute.Where we are now so to (with luck) will you be also one fine day.my regards to you all Ken Hart DP U/K

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » May 20th, 2009, 3:20 pm

Vince younger generation???? :lol:
As I pointed out in my posting above, I AGREE with the 'no mobiles' rule, but that the greater danger is leaving your Tx near to a mobile at home, in the car, or in the caravan at a show. Easily done, and the consequences are clear. I personally do not feel that a transmitter a number of yards away from a mobile is in any danger. Still, better safe than sorry...

Vince Raia

Postby Vince Raia » May 20th, 2009, 10:24 pm

"Well I am only a young 63!" :oops: must say that I agree with your logic Bob. :)

Kenneth Hart

Postby Kenneth Hart » May 20th, 2009, 10:43 pm

Sorry bout that Vince. Being somewhat past the promissed three score and ten I sometimes have a jaundiced view of this modern world,(You only need to read the papers)It is true however that it is at times difficult to keep pace with modern technology as it seems to expand at a bewildering rate,It must be the Victor Meldrew syndrome that lurkes within all over a certain age. My apologise to you if you felt any slight it was unintended, my regards to you Ken DP UK

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » May 21st, 2009, 7:18 am

Just a nipper, Vince.
As for mobiles, well, the rule is there and we have to abide by it (except for those who feel they are above the law- you know who you are!) so that is that. On the other note, I have heard of a 3ft model used by terrorists controlled by mobile phone, surely it would be easier to stick a standard radio into the thing? anybody else heard of this?
OK Paul, what are you going to stir us up with next? ;)

Rob Cavell 529

Postby Rob Cavell 529 » May 24th, 2009, 4:58 pm

I too witnessed my own crash when trying to answer my mobile while flying a slope soarer!

And a word in defence of old codgers:
On this subject my lovely wife Jean is a legend within the family for an answer she gave to a grandchild who asked "How do you know so much Grandma?" she casually replied, "Well darling, when you are as old as me you too will know these things".

Nuff said....

Vince Raia

Postby Vince Raia » May 26th, 2009, 11:01 am

Kenneth Hart wrote:Sorry bout that Vince. Being somewhat past the promissed three score and ten I sometimes have a jaundiced view of this modern world,(You only need to read the papers)It is true however that it is at times difficult to keep pace with modern technology as it seems to expand at a bewildering rate,It must be the Victor Meldrew syndrome that lurkes within all over a certain age. My apologise to you if you felt any slight it was unintended, my regards to you Ken DP UK

Hi Ken, no probs mate, I do understand where you are coming from, and your right about the Victor Meldrew syndrome, although I do try to suppress it, it still raises it head now and again!! :lol: Don’t worry about your age mate, you keep on doing what you are doing really well, creating those lovely aircraft, which we all benefit from the enjoyment of seeing them, “Power to you elbow chap” is what I say! (I’m sure Bob will agree with that one too :lol: )

Rob Cavell 529

Postby Rob Cavell 529 » September 25th, 2009, 8:58 pm

[quote="paul hughes"]just found this on the internet........................"The team, after months of labor, succeeded in flying a scaled-down version of an airplane with the help of a mobile phone...................

There's nothing new in the world, is there?
The Queen Bee (Radio controlled full size Tiger Moth circa 1940's) was controlled by a General Post Office (BT, to you young 'uns) telephone dial.

(yes I know stupid, the telephone dial did not actually 'CONTROL' it!).

PS
As for the younger generation being SO good with computers and the like......before I retired, why did they all come to me when they had a problem?

PPS (Edit)
Has PC gone totally mad when I can't even write the name of an Aircraft without it being censored.
Lets do a check:
Queen Bee
Radio Queen
Queen, the name of a pop group.
I give up!

Dave Hayfield

Postby Dave Hayfield » September 28th, 2009, 11:08 pm

As a long time operative of transmitter controls at various venues all over the country I have seen only 3 incidents of cell phones causing probs with transmitters. When it does happen the memory in the Tx is scrambled or removed and the equipment has to be re-programmed. I think that the proximity to the phone is critical, if the Tx is within less than a metre of the phone and the "handshake" signal is of a certain order, then probs occur but 95% of the time nothing happens. I would only be happy with 100% of the time , so no phones on the flightline or within a few metres of Tx Control should be enforced. Don't forget that full-size passenger aircraft are still undecided on the impact of cell phones on their equipment. :?
Thanet Model Flying Club
LMA 520

Ken Bones

Postby Ken Bones » September 29th, 2009, 8:56 am

So why are the transmitter tents alwys backing onto the crowd line, giving event organisers no control over the publics mobiles that could be just the other side of the canvas?
Just a thought!
Ken B.

Dave Berry 2911

Postby Dave Berry 2911 » September 29th, 2009, 12:49 pm

Does the Tx have to be switched on before its memory is scrambled? I usually have my Tx near my phone when in the car on the way to the field- no probs so far (fortunately).

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » September 29th, 2009, 3:36 pm

Thats probably the riskiest thing of all, Dave. As for aircraft, I have actually had a conversation with a member of the flight crew on a 747 from the cockpit....

sean smith

Postby sean smith » October 1st, 2009, 8:41 pm

Hi,
The main reason for not using a cell/mobile phone in a petrol/filling station is that they can wipe the display on the petrol pumps, hence you get free fuel :P .

Yak54.

Rob Cavell 529

Postby Rob Cavell 529 » March 12th, 2010, 10:11 pm

This thread is what one might call a 'bit old now' but having managed to haul it up again in my current drunken stupor, it has reminded my that one day when I visited my 97 year old mother who lived within spitting distance of the English Channel, referring to her new hearing aid she remarked "I have the coastgard talking to me" when I put the device to my ear I was shocked and amused to hear the skipper of the P&O ferry Pride of Dover asking for clearance to enter the harbour!!!

Return to “General Discussion Topics”