Wood suppliers

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Kate Thurman

Wood suppliers

Postby Kate Thurman » January 14th, 2015, 12:14 pm

Hi, guys,

Years ago I used to use lots of lime wood stringers from a uk wholesaler called Samoso (I think he was called mr Kaitenbrauer or similar) beautiful straight grain, and about the weight of medium to medium hard balsa. I found some 2.5m long Obechi that was almost as good from a local supplier that did me for a while as a substitute ( it was cheap as chips too) though you had to spend hours selecting the good ones, but he no longer stocks it.

Does anyone know sorces of good UK or for non spruce or balsa stringers such as lime or Obechi? Preferably longer lengths.

Also who would be willing to cut custom width sheets of balsa for sheeting, Aerobertics does some 400 or 500 wide sheets for F3A builds, mostly medium to medium light weight, the super light gets snapped up fast, but I was looking for slightly longer lengths than 1meter.

Cheers.

GordonTarling

Re: Wood suppliers

Postby GordonTarling » January 14th, 2015, 2:59 pm

Contact Stuart at Solutions - he does some timber in 6 ft length, mainly cyparis.
Stuart@solutions. 01207 544414

Kate Thurman

Postby Kate Thurman » January 14th, 2015, 3:29 pm

GordonTarling wrote:Contact Stuart at Solutions - he does some timber in 6 ft length, mainly cyparis.

Thanks, but What the heck is cyparis? I used to be a cabinet maker and have never heard of it. Had a look at a few UK model shops via google and cyparis runs out at 2.20 ish for a 6 foot length in 6x6mm, the Obechi I buy is 20p a 2.5m length. I said it was cheap.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » January 14th, 2015, 9:20 pm

LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Phil Clark

Postby Phil Clark » January 14th, 2015, 11:29 pm

Kate Thurman wrote:
GordonTarling wrote:Contact Stuart at Solutions - he does some timber in 6 ft length, mainly cyparis.

Thanks, but What the heck is cyparis? I used to be a cabinet maker and have never heard of it. Had a look at a few UK model shops via google and cyparis runs out at 2.20 ish for a 6 foot length in 6x6mm, the Obechi I buy is 20p a 2.5m length. I said it was cheap.

Give Stuart at buzz......he's a cabinet maker (& a very good one) by trade as well......he'll tell you all about it. I've been using it for longerons/stringers on all my large build for the past 15 yrs and would never use anything else.

Phil

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 15th, 2015, 10:48 am

Its a type of Cedar. There is no tree that is actually called cyparis, it is a term that came (I believe) from the US, although the model trade there have no idea what it is.
Fact remains that it is a very straight grained white wood with a good amount of flex, and although slightly heavier than balsa is far far stronger. Stuart is the man here, although I believe it is stocked by some other firms (probably from Stuart!)
If you cant get hold of Stuart, Balsamart stock it.

Steve Rickett 2333

Postby Steve Rickett 2333 » January 15th, 2015, 12:05 pm

Another thumbs up for Stuart....

I've found his wood about the most consistent of any of the wood suppliers, prices are good and he can get just about anything you ask for!

Kate Thurman

Postby Kate Thurman » January 15th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Straight white and a stable grain sounds a lot like white ceder.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, seem a lot like a consensus of opinion. next wood order I will get some as a sample.

Stuart Solomon

Postby Stuart Solomon » January 15th, 2015, 3:44 pm

Lime is mainly a wood used by carvers and pattern makers as it will take very fine detail without splintering. The downside to that is the fibre length along the grain is quite short and therefore will not take the bending stresses of Cyparis. As a woodworker for some 40+ years I have tried all manner of woods and found that some of them purchased from the large DIY outlets are absolutely useless for stringers or spars in model aircraft. They sell that which will do for household bits and pieces. The models we make are subjected to tremendous stresses during the manouevers of flight. Better to be safe than sorry, should anything structural give way during
flight then it is down to either the construction or the material selection. ;)
Last edited by Stuart Solomon on January 15th, 2015, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kate Thurman

Postby Kate Thurman » January 15th, 2015, 4:21 pm

I actually found the lime nice to use, but I did build much smaller models then and used it as a hard balsa substitute or where I needed loads of bendiness. I tend to build all sheeted models bow with glass skins so much of the time the stringers are just to keep the balsa and glass sheeting in shape.

Chris Lane

Postby Chris Lane » January 15th, 2015, 6:02 pm

The data is actually here on this site!

From the front page menu pick Aircraft. Now select Featured Aircraft Builds. The last item there is Techniques - How to do it. In there is the route to a Word data sheet on cyparis with a comparison with spruce and hemlock. . . . . .

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 15th, 2015, 9:53 pm

Stuart Solomon wrote:Lime is mainly a wood used by carvers and pattern makers as it will take very fine detail without splintering. The downside to that is the fibre length along the grain is quite short and therefore will not take the bending stresses of Cyparis. As a woodworker for some 40+ years I have tried all manner of woods and found that some of them purchased from the large DIY outlets are absolutely useless for stringers or spars in model aircraft. They sell that which will do for household bits and pieces. The models we make are subjected to tremendous stresses during the manouevers of flight. Better to be safe than sorry, should anything structural give way during
flight then it is down to either the construction or the material selection. ;)

Ah! You pop up occasionally then mate! They seek him here, they seek him there.... :lol:

Stuart Solomon

Postby Stuart Solomon » January 15th, 2015, 11:46 pm

Try using a phone instead of two tins and a piece of string ;-)

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 16th, 2015, 3:28 pm

I have this computery thing. It knows EVERYTHING....

Stuart Solomon

Postby Stuart Solomon » January 16th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Ok, what are the euromillions lottery numbers for tonight :-/ Smarty pants

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 16th, 2015, 4:18 pm

If I tell you I will have to share the money. I'll tell you tomorrow.

David Wilson

Postby David Wilson » April 2nd, 2017, 9:58 am

Does anyone have Stuart Solomons' mobile number. I have his landline, but seem to have mislaid the mobile number. It is usually difficult to get him on the landline.

Return to “General Discussion Topics”