Workshop heating

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Steve Vodrey

Workshop heating

Postby Steve Vodrey » November 7th, 2016, 1:35 pm

Any ideas out there on how best to warm up a double garage without running up massive bills.
I don't have mains gas.
Up to now I have been using portable gas heaters.
Suggestions are appreciated.

Steve

Dave Hayfield

Re: Workshop heating

Postby Dave Hayfield » November 7th, 2016, 3:07 pm

If you can get a cheap or free supply of logs or any wood, try a log burner. Works in our large workshop. Just make sure it is away from anything that doesn't like heat and that it is totally closed up when you leave the workshop.
Thanet Model Flying Club
LMA 520

paul needham

Postby paul needham » November 7th, 2016, 3:26 pm

Log burners the way to go, I also keep the models that have had a whoopsie in there also.

Cary Bailey

Postby Cary Bailey » November 7th, 2016, 3:59 pm

Not for me, too risky having any form of open flame! I use these small tubular 60W electric heaters that just keep the frost off when I'm not in the workshop. When I'm in there I just use a small electric heater. Saying that I'm going to fit a curtain within the workshop to add a layer of separation from the walls of my workshop as they are not insulated. I was a skinflint when I built the workshop as the insulation cost was huge!!
Cary

Steve Morris

Postby Steve Morris » November 7th, 2016, 4:35 pm

Steve, I use one of those oil filled electric jobies, turned right down, its just enough to keep it at a reasonable temp

Steve

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » November 7th, 2016, 5:23 pm

First of all, draught proof it. Then insulate it. Should stay cooler in summer to.
I work on a south facing double garage. No. Heating at all. About an hour or two is my limit this time of year.
No, I haven't insulated mine or got around to draught proofing either.

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » November 7th, 2016, 6:53 pm

Portable calor gas heaters give out lots of condensation, i use oil filled radiators,

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » November 7th, 2016, 8:40 pm

Agree with Alan. Dont use Calor. I have a fan heater which soon warms it up, but dont use it while painting!

Steve Vodrey

Postby Steve Vodrey » November 8th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Thanks everyone. The oil filled radiator from screwfix looks a good option. I will look around for a wood burner but they are expensive and present numerous risks.

Steve

Peter Siggins

Postby Peter Siggins » November 8th, 2016, 4:00 pm

Hi Steve,

Good to talk yesterday - re the workshop I use an oil filled rad in my shed which does keep the frost out and , in this weather ,provides a bit of warmth when turned up if I'm in there.
I store all my models in my garage , which has no heat ,so I keep a dehumidifier running permanently.Youd be surprised how much water it extracts,I empty nearly 1/2 gallon every day.It has kept my models dry and has proved a good investment,even through our summers (what summers!!)
Worth a thought doesn't cost a mint to run.

Pete

chris-berry

Postby chris-berry » November 8th, 2016, 6:20 pm

We've just got through our first dehumidifier after 3 years (a cheap one). They're superb and allow for the workshop to be heated and kept dry at the same time. Well worth having and as Peter says its amazing how often they need emptying.

Chris

david whiston

Postby david whiston » November 8th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Steve
I have a couple of old parrafin burning stoves like they use in greenhouses, i buy a heating parrafin that gives off no smell , light em up give it 30 mins and its as warm as toast..

nickhenderson

Postby nickhenderson » November 9th, 2016, 8:42 am

Move to a warmer country.....sorry
http://www.holiday-weather.com/cebu/averages/

Ken Bones

Postby Ken Bones » November 9th, 2016, 6:19 pm

You really must insulate it first. You heating will be more efficient and cost less in the long run.
My workshop is the garage, it's insulated and I only need 1oil filled rad to make it cosey in the winter.

Steve Vodrey

Postby Steve Vodrey » November 10th, 2016, 7:55 am

Thanks Ken.
Like most my workshop is a garage. Fortunately it is attached to the house so not completely cold.
I have made some efforts to insulate it. Better doors that have some thickness to them. I also put flooring above in the roof space to create a ceiling and this made storage space above.
Unfortunately the gable end wall is only single brick.
Its a case of how much do you spend and would I stay there long enough/live long enough to make a full insulation job pay for itself.
Last month I painted the ceiling/walls and fitted LED lighting which brightened it all up drastically.

Lancaster resized.jpg
Lancaster resized.jpg (205.49 KiB) Viewed 10781 times

Steve

John Greenfield

Postby John Greenfield » November 10th, 2016, 8:51 am

Steve

If your workshop is attached to your house then why not extend your central heating out and fit a radiator with a thermostatic valve that you can adjust to a low (frost) setting when you are not using the workshop and then turn it up when you are in there. This will work out the cheapest option in the short to medium term (especially if you know a friendly plumber or can do it yourself) and be a fit and forget solution.
As Ken says, insulation is the key regardless of your heating source. Even single skin brickwork can be insulated on the inside and don't forget the floor.

John

Steve Vodrey

Postby Steve Vodrey » November 10th, 2016, 10:50 am

Hi John.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Unfortunately my heating is a bit complicated. I don't have mains gas for one. The house is heated from a large water tank that is heated up overnight on economy 7. This is the circulated throughout the day/ evening by a conventional radiator system. This works but to be honest only just. Fitting another radiator would take too much away from the heat source.
The garage floor would benefit from insulation but this would mean ripping it up,fitting slabs of insulation and a screed on top. I suppose that would be an ideal time to fit electric floor heating too. Bit of a job all of that. The overall cost would pay for several years of winter heating...
Steve.

John Greenfield

Postby John Greenfield » November 11th, 2016, 8:29 am

Steve
No need to rip the floor up to install insulation. Sheets of Jabelite (or similar) insulation 25mm thick laid direct on your existing floor and then tongue and groove chipboard laid on top will provide an effective thermal barrier.
Interesting house heating you have !!!?

John

Dave Hayfield

Postby Dave Hayfield » November 11th, 2016, 12:10 pm

Just a warning about using free standing calor heaters. A few years ago I was spending quite long hours in my small workshop/office due to a contract with a deadline on it. I was using a calor heater without efficient ventilation, I know, my fault! but it was winter. After a couple of weeks I was feeling unwell and my better half made a doctors appointment for me. To cut a long story short the doc thought I suffering from a heart attack and rushed me off to hospital. The hospital couldn't find any heart problems but after analysis, blood tests suggested carbon monoxide poisoning. Of course, the calor heater in my workshop. Could have been much worse but if I use the calor heater now I make sure I have a ventilation fan running and only use the heater for short lengths of time.
Thanet Model Flying Club
LMA 520

Return to “General Discussion Topics”