Pond Sealer

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Nick Reeves 3055

Pond Sealer

Postby Nick Reeves 3055 » March 11th, 2017, 1:23 pm

i think i have found my new favourite medium for covering sheeted areas!!! G4 and glass is so easy to apply! i have only put down the first side of a tailplane but its gone on really well.
a couple of questions though, do you trim back the glass once the first application coat has cured (like using resin) or at a later point? also, do i have to lightly sand between coats and how many coast should i expect to need to apply? i know itll depend on the weight of the glass but im thinking itll need a few.
cheers
nick
Adreneline is a Natural substance, Enjoy it when you can!
Too many planks to count, & two helis all guided by Futaba

Steve Vodrey

Re: Pond Sealer

Postby Steve Vodrey » March 11th, 2017, 6:29 pm

Hi Nick.
I just covered my model with 25g cloth and used G4 pond sealer.
I trimmed off the cloth after the first application and sanded the edges. After that I put another coat on and sanded that down with 240 grade then a third cold again sanding down before the primer. The third coat might sound excessive but it is needed to fill the weave.
Lancaster tail.jpg
Lancaster tail.jpg (48.26 KiB) Viewed 2926 times

Regards

Nick Reeves 3055

Re: Pond Sealer

Postby Nick Reeves 3055 » March 12th, 2017, 11:31 am

hi steve,
i have now done the other side of the test tailplane in 48g cloth (18g was used first) as i havent currently got any 25g. the results are even better with the heavier cloth i presume due to it being able to take more sealer in one coat. the edges have come to a nice feather edge so once the tips that are now drying are done, i can look at giving it all a second coat, and probably a third. im wishing i had tried it sooner!!
Adreneline is a Natural substance, Enjoy it when you can!
Too many planks to count, & two helis all guided by Futaba

Return to “General Discussion Topics”